“Where to stay on Ambergis Caye” 4 of 5 stars

Seven Seas Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   On the Beach Front, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #45 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Houston, Texas
“Where to stay on Ambergis Caye”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have been coming back here for years. Right on the beach road and away from the center of San Pedro, it is quieter than most places and only two houses away from Wayo's bar, so there is local night life.
The rooms have AC in the bedrooms, and some in the main room. The kitchens have some equipment, but it may be a bit shaky at best, but let the staff know and they will do their best to keep you happy.
Keep an eye on the beach road for the guy with the wheelbarrow full of fresh coconuts, and stop the tamale guy on a bicycle, they are some of the best food on the island.

Room Tip: Upstairs for more breeze.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Dudley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at the Seven Seas Resort while on a working holiday in Belize with my husband. As a travel writer, I was reviewing the local attractions and I chose Seven Seas Resort mainly because of the high speed internet on offer, which was necessary for my work. I definitely made the right choice – not only did I benefit from excellent wifi but also excellent service and very comfortable accommodation. Having kitchen facilities was really useful, as due to work I didn't always have the time to go out and eat. On the occasions when I did have free time and wanted to explore, the staff at Seven Seas were always on hand to offer advice and help me and my hubby with booking trips and excursions - usually at a cheaper price than we would have paid had we booked ourselves online! The only downside was that the beach at the front of the hotel was only a small one, but having said this, the ocean views from my suite were to die for so that definitely wouldn’t put me off staying here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport News, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

After searching long and hard for a place to stay when traveling to San Pedro we were finally able to decide to go with the Seven Seas Resort and boy are we glad we did. The resort was very easy to book and their prices are very cheap compared to everything that they have to offer. Upon arrival we were amazed with the view that the balcony provided of the island and we could not wait to be able to get out and explore once the jet lag wore off.

The resort staff is very friendly and it was great that they could speak English in addition to Spanish because my finance and I are not very good with our Spanish – we basically just know what the basic phrases are. But, anyways enough of my rambling I will now move on to what you need to know to help you make your decision – the good and the bad about this hotel.

The Good

The location of this resort is remarkable. I love how they are located in a great spot on the beach because it only took us about 20 minutes walking to reach the main part of the town. I couldn’t imagine if it was farther away because you do not have the option of getting a rental car.

The hotel pays for your taxi which was something unusual for us. Here in the US we have shuttles that take you to some hotels from the airport but if you are going to be taking a taxi you are responsible for paying for that yourself.

The hotel has a 20% discount available for a bunch of different adventures. Once we found out about this we had to go snorkeling and I must say that I was a little nervous about it at first but it was so much fun.

The Bad

All of the rooms are different so make sure that you fully inspect the rooms before settling in. The first room that we were showed was okay but it was just not to our liking. In my opinion it felt a little outdated. However, the staff member had no problem moving us to another room and it was one that we truly enjoyed and was able to sleep in for the entire week we were there.

The beds were not as comfortable as some of the other hotels we have stayed in. However, remember we are from the US so that may be the norm in San Pedro. But, it was not a deal breaker for us because we weren’t sleeping in bed all day so by the time we went to sleep we were out like a light after all of the exploring and such.

Overall, if I were to ever come back I would stay here again. After the renovation is complete I am sure that the hotel will be back up to its usual standards. Luckily, we were able to get one of the rooms that had already been renovated after we switched from the first room. For a little over $100 a night this was a great deal in my book compared to some of the US hotels I have stayed in for that price. Very much looking forward to my next trip to San Pedro so my finance and I can feel as though we are in paradise again!

Room Tip: Make sure you check out your room throughly first before committing to it
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I just returned from my 3rd stay at the Seven Seas Resort and it was great! My girlfriend and I stayed 10 days in early December. Roberto & Tony set up all of our excursions; snorkle trip, dive trip and Mayan ruins/cave tubing, etc. You get a nice discount on everything the staff sets up for you. They also made some great recommendations for local places to eat that weren't touristy places. We had delicious empanadas from a lady that seemed surprised to see non-locals at her tiny place.
The Seven Seas is one of my favorite places in the Caribbean. It is a family run resort instead of a corporate operation with uncaring staff. The free Wi-Fi worked flawlessly and is one of the fastest systems in the area. In fact, CNN had a news crew staying there covering a story due, in part, to the hi-speed Wi-Fi. They loved the resort, too!
Bill, the owner, is always on-site and available. He's lived on Ambergris Caye for over 25 years. He really knows the area and is really nice to talk to. Helen & Manuela, the housekeeping staff, made sure that the room was kept up as we liked it.
All in all, it was another great vacation and I know we'll be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I always start by saying as a working correspondent for CNN I look for different attributes than tourists on vacation... that said if I'm looking for a wonderful way to enjoy San Pedro, Belize and not bust the bank then Seven Seas is the place.
From the moment we showed up racing to get on the air the staff could not have been more accomodating. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and I say charming. This is not some cookie cutter resort but a genuine one of a kind quiet home away from home with a view that is tough to beat anywhere. Owner Bill Wilkinson takes pride in the place and it shows. If your one of those who like to keep the front door open to feel the breeze and the sound of the waves come in then this is that kind of place. We've already been back twice and will keep looking for any excuse for a third!

Room Tip: Room seven has been freshly updated and is the model for what's to come.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel was our first stop on our two week honeymoon. SInce we were traveling in the off season, we were the only ones at the resort. The front desk and cleaning crew were wonderful, helping us with everything from setting up excursions, lending us peroxide for swimmers ear, and even finding my wedding band!! There is air conditioning in the bedroom, but not the entire suite, but that didn't bother us too much. The downside: their website promotes that they are steps to the beach. TECHNICALLY they ARE beach front- Front road is in between the hotel and the "beach". The beach is actually a small sandy area with a three foot concrete wall that drops into the ocean. The water was also very grassy, so there really was no way to swim. Nice place for the price, but next time I think we might try to find a deal at a resort with an actual beach

Room Tip: Ask for beachfront!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We took our 2 grown children, their spouses, and two grandchildren (one was 2 months and one was 2 years) to San Pedro Belize for a week of snorkeling, cart riding and hanging out by the "big sandbox". Seven Seas Resort was the place for us. We had two units (with kitchen) side by side for the most reasonable price, especially during late September. Our doors stayed open most of the day for the 2 year old to go back and forth between his room and ours. The doors also opened to a lovely and safe sandy area for him to make cakes and build houses. We also spend time in the nice pool with a squirt gun and pouring cups. If you are taking children to San Pedro Seven Seas is a good spot. The staff were wonderful and friendly each and every day and loved helping our grandson practice his beginning Spanish phrases. They seemed to really enjoy having a little one around. The street out front has some cart traffic but not enough to be a problem plus the sandy area out in front of the hotel is built up and has a small wall. We also enjoyed walking out on the pier to watch the activities going on. The pier is available to guest and we were able to have our snorkeling guide pick us up here each time. The relaxed atmosphere of Seven Seas and the wonderful attitude of all the employees and owner Bill, made our week. I hope to take our grandbabies back again another day. If you have small children or even teens this is the place to stay. Save the resort and fancy for a couples trip. Seven Seas is more like home. Our little 2 year old cried when we loaded the luggage in the car and he realized we were leaving.

The only negative for me was the little bar two doors down on Karoke night. Bring some earplugs...seriously. this was a minor annoyance compared to the excellent service and friendly, relaxed environment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Seven Seas Resort? Share your experiences!