We visited Portafino as part of a Surf and Turf package. The front desk staff, Yolanda and Elida, could not have been more helpful. They made sure our arrival and departure went smoothly and made every effort to plan our tours.
The waitstaff were most pleasant and efficient. Ivan, Alex and Dorrel were quite professional and personable. We enjoyed their company and they made our mealtimes quite enjoyable.
We both agreed that the food and menu rivaled those in New York City and San Francisco. We were able to watch the chef working and he was most impressive. The meals were an event by themselves.
The tours were fine. We would recommend that visitors plan tours immediately as all tours may not run regularly. Many have a minimum of participants and others are dependent on weather or sea conditions. For example, we very much wanted to do two tours but neither ran on the days we were there. One operator offered to run the tour if we paid for four people. The second offered a condensed version of the tour we wanted....for more money than the full tour.
We took advantage of the kayaks to go out to the Mexico Rocks to snorkle on our own. The sea happened to be calm and it was a most pleasant experience.
The accomodations were quite nicely decorated though some minor signs of wear are noticeable. It should be noted that the floors are wooden with a shiny, waterproof finish. This causes a squeaking noise when walking barefoot. Because each cottage complex contains two units, it is easy to hear your neighbor walking next door. The walls are typically thin and the sounds carry easily. Some more time could have been spent dusting and cleaning during our stay. Also, one side of the king bed was about 8" from the wall, making it difficult for a person 6'1" to get out of bed.
This resort provided a pleasant stay. I would suggest that, if you are active, used to walking, hiking, swimming etc. you should plan the tours upon arrival. Although the beach area is walkable, it is not the typical wallk in the sand. There are abandoned houses, excessive debris washed ashore and empty hotels. However, the Portifino grounds are impeccably clean
If I were to be in charge of planning, I would provide washable cloth slippers for guests so sandy shoes could be left on the porch and screens on the front doors so they could be left open at night. When the mosquitos and sand flies were not biting, opening the doors on the front door provided a delightful breeze. I would also provide a broom as it is almost impossible to keep sand out of the room.
Visitors may want to bring some soap. Upon arrival, an assortment of soaps was provided to choose from. Once chosen, two slices of soap were provided and we ended up using our own when it melted away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Characterized by its warm and friendly hospitality, Portofino is the epitome of barefoot luxury, unpretentious and relaxing… for most; it will be an experience of a lifetime. Our small, boutique resort offers just 17 beautifully appointed rooms, ranging from charming beach cabanas to spacious suites, dotted amidst swaying palm trees, in a private setting with unmatched personal attention and the modern comforts of home. It is a haven of tranquility, where guests will enjoy the subtle sounds of the nearby waves lapping over the reef, gentle breeze, breathtaking sunrise, star studded night sky and spectacular views of the crystal waters of the Caribbean Sea. The perfect setting for a romantic getaway, intimate wedding, honeymoon, family and friends.Portofino offers leisure options to suit every taste. Relax in our fresh water outdoor swimming pool; enjoy a great book from our book collection or simply indulge yourself in a massage on the beach under our hand thatched palapa hut. Explore the underwater world with snorkel equipment or skim along the surface in our complimentary sea kayaks. Delicious meals prepared by our resort chef can be served in the privacy or your beach cabana or suite, on our private dock with a romantic setting or at the Portofino Restaurant. Sip on amazing tropical cocktails at the Green Parrot Beach Bar or perhaps a late afternoon snack from the Green Parrot Bistro. Take advantage of our DVD library and unwind in front of the flat TV screen in your room. Or, simply take in the view. In short, relax and enjoy! Reception in the main building is manned by professional and knowledgeable staff. From, activities bookings and directions to itineraries and dining reservations, our friendly and professional staff is eager to assist you. Access to PORTOFINO is by boat only, and therefore we offer a complimentary meet and greet service at San Pedro Airstrip and boat transfer to the resort, an approximately 20 minutes ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Portofino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel San Pedro
- Portofino San Pedro
- Portofino Belize/San Pedro