We recently had our wedding at Portofino's beautiful resort. The experience was nothing short of mind-blowing (in the best possible way!) From the moment we stepped foot on the resort we were truly treated like royalty! We have traveled all over the world and never felt so welcome or had such a personalized experience. Even after our 30 wedding guests arrived, all of the staff at Portofino took the time to know every single person by name. It was truly extraordinary.
The scenery is amazing and the sunsets are truly to die for. If you like boat rides and ocean-front property, this is the place for you. The only way to travel around between San Pedro and Portofino is by boat. Portofino is very good about scheduling trips to and from San Pedro to suit the needs of the guests. Some people do travel up and down the coast by bicycle or golf cart, but it is more for recreation that really trying to get anywhere.
The ocean right off of the resort is more like a giant aquarium full of interesting sea life and beautiful nature. Because the reef is so close, the waves break a few miles out (on the reef). So if you want to go to a place where u can jump into the waves right from the beach, this isn't quite it. Because of the shallow water near the shore, the sea-grass grows abundantly right up to the shore. It is visible and not exactly pleasant, but it surely is not a hinderance to having fun. My wife and I thought this may be an issue, it really was not. We had just as much fun snorkeling right off of the dock and seeing all kinds of sea life, even nurse sharks! (Don't worry, they are as friendly as cats!). We saw sting rays, crabs, nurse sharks, and a whole gamut of sea life from just off of the dock at Portofino, it truly was amazing.
The restaurant at Portofino is also VERY good. They are always freshening up their menu with new items and they have a very multicultural and dynamic range of flavors in their food. Not to mention they will work with you to customize almost anything you want by request. Sometimes when it is VERY busy the service is a bit slow, but the restaurant manager and wait staff are always there to reassure you and make you feel like you really are being taken care of and that the food will be delicious and freshly made.
Then there was our wedding. It was an absolute marvel. The staff at Portofino arranged the most beautiful wedding we could have ever dreamed of! We could not have been happier. Everything from the cake, to the outdoor tent for the reception to the little area were we said our vows was just perfect. So much attention to detail with flowers and shells and everything you could think of really showed how much the Portofino staff wants to make your stay amazing and what lengths they will go to really knock it out of the park!
The rooms and accommodations were just perfect for a nice mix of luxury and truly feeling like you are living on a beach. The rooms and decor just perfectly fit the beach feel that you will want right after you step off the boat onto the Portofino dock. Everything was just right for us. There was a TV, air conditioning, several fans, drinkable water, a refrigerator, and plenty of space in both the bedroom and the bathroom to suit our needs. Everything was also very clean and tidy.
If we had any complaints at all, it was the mosquitos and sand fleas. They really are a nuisance even if you have a lot of bug spray. You will get lots of bites, but it is still totally worth it! Just make sure you bring heavy duty bug spray and you wear as much long clothing as you can at night.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel
- Portofino Hotel San Pedro
- Portofino San Pedro
- Portofino Belize/San Pedro
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Characterized by its warm and friendly hospitality, Portofino is the epitome of barefoot luxury, unpretentious and relaxing… for most; it will be an experience of a lifetime. Our small, boutique resort offers just 17 beautifully appointed rooms, ranging from charming beach cabanas to spacious suites, dotted amidst swaying palm trees, in a private setting with unmatched personal attention and the modern comforts of home. It is a haven of tranquility, where guests will enjoy the subtle sounds of the nearby waves lapping over the reef, gentle breeze, breathtaking sunrise, star studded night sky and spectacular views of the crystal waters of the Caribbean Sea. The perfect setting for a romantic getaway, intimate wedding, honeymoon, family and friends.Portofino offers leisure options to suit every taste. Relax in our fresh water outdoor swimming pool; enjoy a great book from our book collection or simply indulge yourself in a massage on the beach under our hand thatched palapa hut. Explore the underwater world with snorkel equipment or skim along the surface in our complimentary sea kayaks. Delicious meals prepared by our resort chef can be served in the privacy or your beach cabana or suite, on our private dock with a romantic setting or at the Portofino Restaurant. Sip on amazing tropical cocktails at the Green Parrot Beach Bar or perhaps a late afternoon snack from the Green Parrot Bistro. Take advantage of our DVD library and unwind in front of the flat TV screen in your room. Or, simply take in the view. In short, relax and enjoy! Reception in the main building is manned by professional and knowledgeable staff. From, activities bookings and directions to itineraries and dining reservations, our friendly and professional staff is eager to assist you. Access to PORTOFINO is by boat only, and therefore we offer a complimentary meet and greet service at San Pedro Airstrip and boat transfer to the resort, an approximately 20 minutes ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your Portofino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.