“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ramon's Village Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ramon's Village Resort
Ranked #21 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
san francisco
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2007

I was little hesitant about this place after reading some of the reviews, but I'm not sure what everyone was expecting from these people!? My boyfriend and I stayed at Ramon's when we visited Ambergris Caye to scuba dive and snorkel. We tried for Victoria House first, but it was booked, but were ultimately happy with our experience here. Ramon's offered us that kitschy tropical experience before we left for Caye Caulker. We had a second story room right on the beach facing the ocean. Perfect! Ramon's is in a great location near downtown and the airport and has the BEST beach and pier in San Pedro Town (that we saw anyway because we walked the length of the coast). The staff was EXCELLENT. We didn't eat too much at the restaurant since there were seemingly better choices in town. The trip to Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan is not to be missed, despite its popularity. Our snorkel guide was great. He fed the fish at Shark Ray, which created a feeding frenzy of excitement, but I'm not sure how ecologically sound it was. Anyway, worth it. I'd stay at Ramon's again.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
san marcos, tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2007

We spent four overpriced nights at Ramon's right before Christmas. It wasn't horrible, but you can get far more for your money on ambergris caye. Our main complaints:
- I specifically asked for a second floor oceanview room. the room they gave us was on the first floor and while technically "oceanview" the view was completely obstructed by two large palm trees. the people i dealt with on the phone never gave me the impression they had any more info about the property than i had access to from the web, so this is not surprising. when i called the front desk to see if we could switch, i was informed that all the second floor rooms are suites and cost way more (than the $230/night we were paying, which was itself pretty rediculous considering the location)
- the AC was too loud to use while we slept. we opened the windows and luckily it was very quiet, but no breeze came in, so we were pretty hot at night.
- ramon's tries to nickel and dime you to death. for example, you have to "check out" beach towels and if you don't return them (you have to physically carry them to the front desk and drop them off), they charge you. this is not what i would expect from what i assume is the most "luxurious" and expensive place on the caye. also they charge more for every activity than anyone else we checked out. for example, we paid $150/person for our 1/2 day resort dive; to go through ramon's would have been $200 for the same dive. we tried to book our ruins tour directly with the operator, but she told us we'd get the same price at ramon's...then they ended up charging us an extra $10@.
- the pool is pretty silly; they say it's "80 ft long" but due to its shape it's not good for much other than jumping in to get the saltwater out of your hair.

there are many beach resorts on ambergris caye, and i'm certain most or all of them are less expensive than ramon's--we heard that one of them was $45/night. unless you are the kind of person who wants to pay extra to be able to book everything you do through one desk and never leave the property, i would try to find someplace cheaper and less stingy than ramon's.

Stayed December 2006
oklahoma city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

We have just spent the week after Xmas with three other families at Ramon's. The resort is located in the town of San Pedro. You can walk to the resort from the airport in San Pedro. The grounds are beautiful with tropical landscaping. The lobby, bar, restaurant, pool and gift shop are located in the middle with rooms and suites on each side. The restaurant has outdoor seating and inside seating and is very attractive. The food is expensive and lousy. The quality is poor and the portions are small. All the prices are in US and even the breakfast was cold and not very good. The bar is also very expensive. The rooms were fine, though no water pressure and often no hot water. The y do have the best beach in town which is raked everyday and kept very clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. I think it could be a great hotel if the food was improved because the setting is beautiful. The best restaurant in town is a short walk on the beach and is the Blue Water Grill. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner and is all delicious.

• Liked — the location and setting
  • Disliked — the restaurant and bar
  • Tips/Secrets — don't waste your money at Ramon's restaurant
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2006

In April 2006 we stayed at Steve & Becky's which is affiliated with Ramon's Village. We absolutely loved it. We were a group of 6 college girlfriends who flew in from 3 different US cities for a reunion and decided to take a beach vacation to Belize.

I'm disappointed to see so many negative reviews of Ramons, given that we had a fabulous time. Perhaps the difference is that we stayed at the cottages at Steve & Becky's which are very roomy and comfortable with modern facilities. Two full size beds and a full size bathroom. You can use your US appliances without any converters. From guests staying at Ramon's we heard that their rooms are very dark and much older.

We especially enjoyed the excursions through Seaductions. They dock at Ramon's pier and have a wonderful catamaran. We took 3 different trips with them and they were all great. Two were snorkel trips and one was a trip to the mainland for cave tubing and zip lining. Elito and his staff are so friendly. We miss him, Sylvan and Jeff. They were great guides!

The staff at Ramon's is wonderful. Although the restaurant is mediocre, we enjoyed breakfast there, but recommend eating lunch and dinner elsewhere. For a fabulous dinner I recommend making reservations at Capricorn and take the boat ride at night. It was a thrilling experience and one of the best meals I've ever had!

• Liked — Great location, quiet, roomy
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oklahoma City, OK.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2006

My husband and I stayed here in Oct of 2006. We prepaid our stay and were so disappointed that we checked out after one night and moved to the Sunbreeze Hotel with no refund from Ramon's. The room was small, the air conditioner worked part time, the pool was so small, and the service was horrible. There are many nice places to stay in San Pedro, find one other than Ramon's and save yourself money and disappointment!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St. Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2006

My family and I stayed at Ramon's back in 1995... probably before any of the other people writing about it even knew were Belize was, let alone San Pedro or Ambergis. We were there when the "resort industry" had barely touched the island- when it was non-touristy. The only reason for our trip was to dive the reef, not worry about the amenities the room had.
The staff was fantastic, catered to our every need. The dive master, Touriano, and his son were absolutely OUTSTANDING. The memories my family and I have will never be overshadowed by the new breed of complaining tourist, and we will always reccommend Ramon's Reef to anyone who is planning a trip to Belize.

• Liked — You could walk up and down the beach all day long, and nobody tried to panhandle, pickpocket, swindle, harass, or in any way bother you.
  • Disliked — Unless you're diving or exploring the ruins, there wasn't much else there.
  • Tips/Secrets — Keep your hands on your wallet if you ever go into Belize City.
  • Stayed March 2002, traveled with family
Birmingham,AL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

As the title states, this was not at all what my wife and I expected.
I am only refering to the rooms. After arriving San Pedro, we were picked up at the airstrip and carried to the front desk to check-in. The staff was very courtious and seemed willing to do just about anything for us. After getting our key, which I later discovered that I would not need, they carted us around to our room. The first problem was the fact that there was only one working light in the entire cabana. Call me picky, but it is nice to be able to see what just crawled over my foot, if you know what I mean. After being introduced to our room and having all of the ammenties described, we were left to unpack. This is where we realized that this may have been a mistake. We decided to go out for dinner and make the best of our stay. After returning to the cabana, I turned on the air conditioner. I did not expect it to cool the room but hoped that it would at least dry the air some. WRONG!. The unit spit and sputtered for a while then began dripping water back into the room. This caused a musty odor, which i later found out came from the mold growing on ground under the cabana. Needles to say I can say nothing nice about the rooms, so I need say nothing at all.

As far as the staff and other offerings from Ramons are concerned, I can only speak positively. Rick and the guys at the dive shop are great. We wanted to take the resort course, and they would not let us. Now before you get the wrong idea, they would not let us because the day that we would have been able to go out and dive, the current was so strong they could not go out. Instead of taking our money and saying oh, sorry, can;t go, they took the time to check the weather forecast and current conditions, before making a decision. For this I commend them.
They did take us snorkeling and the trip was wonderful. Their guides are extremly knowledgable about the reef and the different species that are there.

I have noticed here that alot of people were dissappointed with the restaurant. In our case we both felt the prices and quality of the food to be inline with most all the other restaurants and resorts in San Pedro.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ramon's Village Resort? Share your experiences!