“Pretty resort on wonderful Caye” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramon's Village Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ramon's Village Resort
You added Ramon's Village Resort to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Coconut Drive, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
MA, USA
“Pretty resort on wonderful Caye”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Ramon's is located just on the edge of San Pedro and is a very beautiful place.

This review is written post the village's rebuild from a massive fire. On that note, the place was all but rebuilt by the time we arrived. We only discovered that they were doing some finishing touches when they told us and we saw some small finishes going on. Otherwise, one would never know there was a fire.

When one arrives, you travel down sandy paths among tropical plants. And these paths separate the buildings giving a very romantic feel to the resort. The plants are watered and the paths raked daily. In fact, the whole resort was well groomed at all times.

When we checked in, there was a crush of arrivals and we heard other groups having troubles with their room setup; mainly, it was whether there was one bed or two. We were travelling as friends among divers as were another group from Indiana. So there were situations were some people who should have two beds were getting one; and vice-versa for others. The staff did their best to fix that. In fact, one married couple in our group got a beautiful second floor view because they would have one bed.

The room we had was in the part of the resort that did not burn and had the look and feel of a thatched hut. It was a fairly spacious, single room with two comfy beds. The AC in the room was good - although the city lost power one night and we lost our AC until we realized we had to reset it.

There was a sink area adjacent to the bathroom/shower. The bathroom in not completely enclosed as there was no ceiling. Little strange but... And the shower had poor pressure - plus we lost all water during the power outage. When the power was back, we still had no pressure as the shut off caused some rust debris to clog the line. The staff service did fix this.

The entry way had a porch that was very pleasant, and we were located about three huts from the beach. You have to pay more for the beach view if that is important to you. It seems that there had been a lot of moisture as there were a lot of mosquitos in the area and in our room. I ended up with bite marks on my face and was often chasing the buggers.

Between the beds is a chest for the clock and, within, a small refrigerator that wasn't very cold. we learned from the other divers to make sure, if the cabinet was bumped, make sure every thing was still plugged in. Seems that happened to our fridge mid-week as our orange juice went rancid; I didn't find out about this until I drank said orange juice and was punished later.

As with the grooming of the resort in general, our cleaning lady was very good. There was a safe in the room that we used but with tons of dive gear there were plenty of things left on the table. All was good.

On top of this, the resort had hired security with stations at various locations. They did a very good job of making sure only guests were going through the resort areas. Keep in note that there were plenty of people passing the resort on the main road or along the beach. They also kept merchants from bugging the guests.

One of my favorite notes about the resort is all of the shade that it provides whether you are on the beach (trees) or just on the edge of the beach (canopies). There were also shaded hammocks. For those of us fair-skinned, here was resort that allowed you to enjoy the beach and ocean without burning up or being lathered in sunblock.

Pineapples is the restaurant located adjacent to a very small bar area. The bar area did have some seating but was a relatively quiet place. The mixed drinks weren't impressive. Breakfast and lunch were the best meals as dinner was limited in choices. Over all, the food was decent but not great. Some of the servers were adequate at best. Do not worry about this however. Minutes away along the beach or going into town, there are tons of great restaurants. The ones on the beach are the touristy ones (Bluewater, Hurricane's Ceviche) but on the inner streets of the city, there were the local restaurants that had fantastic food at 1/3 the price (e.g., Brianna's).

Before the bar, there is a small wading pool that was immaculate. In February, the pool temperature was very cold so the ocean was a better bet. There the temp was a steady 79 degrees Fahrenheit. The beach had a daily batch of grass washed in but the resort raked it up and removed it. To the right of the docks, it looked like they had workers digging up the grass roots.

The dock was the main way to travel on excursions. For us, it was diving but we also took a trip to the ruins at Lamanai. Fishing was available but at Ramon's, if I'm correct, you payed a flat fee no matter how many were on the boat. Just down the way, there was another operation where you paid for the whole boat and then that was split by the number of the party. The locals also went out to the end of the long dock and went swimming. We joined them.

The dive outfit was very good and we had Marcus as Captain, with Will, Edwin and Andy as dive masters. The boat was good and we had the benefit of a large one. Safety was tops and the lesser experienced divers were well-taken cared of. We did have high winds at the beginning of the week that caused us to miss one dive and then, on the next day, go towards Turneffe. This did cost us more money due to gasoline but the dive shop was very good about counting any of my missed dives towards a night dive or the Lamanai trip. I also had a primary second stage reg that was bubbling too much and the shop swapped it out for one of theirs for the week.

Before going down, I had read the reviews here about some rooms being close to the main road. Guess what? I got one of those rooms and yes the traffic could be quite loud up until 10pm and starting again at 6am. Also, across the road there was a bar that is not associated with Ramon's. I guess it is relatively new. Any way, it played loud music on Friday and Saturday nights, plus we were there for the Superbowl so it was very loud on that Sunday too. For me, I go to bed at 8pm on dive vacations so I had to tune the noise out; luckily diving makes me very tired. Oh, almost forgot: the airport is on the other side of the main road and that bar. Good news is that there were no jets and seemed to be mainly daytime flights.

To wrap up, Ramon's is very good and I would stay there again; but don't expect five-star. Set your expectations appropriately, go with the flow on some things, and you'll have a nice stay.

Ambergris Caye was very nice and the week we were there, the weather was almost perfect temperature-wise. The people are friendly and cool and pretty helpful. Try to visit this island at least once.

Room Tip: Spring for the rooms closer to the ocean for a quieter stay; splurge on this one. Your porch will be...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Midland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Fantastic place. Great atmosphere, clean rooms. Love the thatch roof/ceiling. Good food. Fantastic service and fun helpful employees. Would definitely return. Didn't see anywhere on the island I would have rather stayed. Great diving and dive masters as well.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed at Ramon's two weeks ago and at Grand Caribe. Very different experiences. Not sure how Ramon's is rated right in the middle. It should be much higher. The beach is nice and staff is great. In the super laid back (and sometimes too slow service almost everywhere) Ramon's was exception in that respect. Ron and Jack and the other guys will take care of you. The casita rooms are nice and considered by some small but go out and freaking explore or lounge by the beach. You're in Belize!

If you stay at Ramon's a golf cart isn't a necessity but staying anywhere near or on other side of the bridge is FYI. Ramon's carts are a little more expensive but definitely nice that most. If you have a family getting the six-seater is probably smart.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

My wife and I have stayed there twice in the past. Although it was quite a while ago (well before the hurricane and fire; but date options in review template were limited) we will definitely return again and again. It's hard to know where to start in a review like this because we loved every aspect of it including the thatched roof building, the pool, the beach, the restaurant, the waiters, and the dive team. The rooms were clean, impeccably kept up, and very comfortable. Outsanding aspects include the waiters who seemed to remember us after over a year, the relaxing atmosphere, and proximity to walking around town. As a diver, I want to specifically speak to their services which are professional, relaxing, and very personal. Turiano is an icon of diving there and made the trip even more special (although, as a competetive person, it was frustrating that he doesn't seem to use ANY air; and probably doesn't even breath at all underwater). The beach is kept clean, the food good, and the atmosphere guarantees relaxation. I would highly recommend Ramon's.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the beach. We especially liked the lower level with a door out onto the sand.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Lake, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I recently spent a week at Ramon's Village Resort. If we venture back to Belize in the future, we would most definitely stay there again.
We found all of their staff to be outstanding. Ramon himself greeted us each morning over breakfast. We also met the owner and his wife who were there since the recent fire. Delightful people and very welcoming. They have done amazing work getting the resort renovated from the fire last August. Restaurant, offices and gift shop are all new. My husband is a diver and spent the week mostly underwater with their dive operation. He commented that the visibility was really good but not as many fish as he encounters elsewhere. The food was very good. We ate all of our meals at the resort. All in all, we had a very enjoyable week. I would like to add that the beach at Ramon's is the nicest on the island.

Room Tip: Definitely worth reserving a seaside room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I loved this place. Tons of Palm trees everywhere and cute decor. Pool is great and the beach access is amazing. The staff keeps the beach really clean (this was a disappointment at another resort we stayed at on the same trip). Location is perfect and the staff is AWESOME.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Literally stumbled on Ramon's during a trip with my family when I was 18 and had a chance to stay again 21 years later. Returned within 9 months and plan to go back. The staff at Ramon's will remember you, what you like for breakfast and how you take your cocktails. They accommodated me when I needed a full office setup for conference calls. And, when I stupidly knocked out a crown on my diving regulator, they arranged for a trip to the dentist and gave me door-to-door service. Going to Ramon's is more like staying with extended family for me and I will absolutely be back.

Room Tip: If Ramon's is out of your budget or happens to be booked, they also own the cute little property...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Ramon's Village Resort? Share your experiences!