“Amazing Diving, Helpful Staff, Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramon's Village Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ramon's Village Resort
Save Saved
You added Ramon's Village Resort to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Coconut Drive, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #19 of 56 Hotels in San Pedro
Charlotte, NC
“Amazing Diving, Helpful Staff, Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I came to Belize for our honeymoon, and our travel agent suggested Ramon's Village. Being just the two of us, on an island we were new to, staying at Ramon's made things especially easy for us. The staff were always happy to give local recommendations, the dive boat leaves right off of the dock, fishing crews will pick you up from the hotel - everything was incredibly convenient. The diving was insane (in a GREAT way) - a must do if you're there.

I will say, we got the breakfast meal plan and it was just ok. It made mornings very easy for us, but there were not a ton of options and after a few days we were pretty much over it. This island has tons of great food - definitely take advantage of moving around and trying to local restaurants.

The only thing I wish we knew before going, was that the bathrooms in the rooms do not have ceilings. It was a little odd.

I'd recommend Ramon's for couples and families visiting the area for the first time in a second. They make sure you enjoy yourself, and we did not experience any of the negative issues that have been brought up by other users. It was a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite I believe is the only stand-alone hut, and worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Canton, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Ramon's Village Resort- Dive shop is first class all the way. The dive shop manager Rick and his elite staff of dive masters and instructors made my first diving experience like none other.
My dive instructor Adolfo not only provided excellent diving instructions he took extra time to explain the small details of diving in Belize. Before each dive he reviewed the diving instructions and what to expect at the dive site. Thank you for helping me finish my open water certification.
Additional thank you to the other dive masters, Edwin and Tourino and boat captains Juan and Rick Martin- Thank you for an outstanding dive experience!
Whether you are a beginner diver or experienced Ramon’s Village resort dive shop is a one stop store that will provide you a diving experience that you will remember for a lifetime.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the Honeymoon Suite (even though we've been married 28 years) and it was amazing! The beach is like 20 feet from the door. The staff, drinks and food were excellent. Thank you Alex for all the wonderful drinks. Thank you Carlo at the front desk for all your patience of me coming in constantly and asking questions! And of course Jack who kept us entertained on a daily basis. Ramon's dive shop is as professional as they come. We have been diving for 35+ years and the customer service is amazing. Ambergris Caye is a great place to be for some much needed R & R and the food on the island is to-die-for.We will be back.

• Stayed May 2013
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed in one of the Ocean front rooms with a patio right on the beach! It was so nice and relaxing, with hammocks on the sand. We loved our stay here at Ramon's and will come back again! We felt safe and secure and and the staff was amazing! Only thing I will say is if you are fair skinned like me, watch out for sand fleas!! They sell bug spray in the gift shop and I would recommend investing in it!!
Overall, I would highly recommend staying at Ramon's!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Loved it! The room was clean, comfortable and nice enough. Nothing extravagant but perfect for what we wanted. The a/c felt great after being in the jungle with no a/c the prior few nights. Getting to town was an easy stroll. The grocery store nearby was very convenient. The grounds were well maintained, and as beaches go on Ambergris (small to nonexistent) Ramons may have had the best beach of any hotel. The staff at the front desk and restaraunt were very friendly and helpful. The dive shop staff was professional but not overly friendly. Ramon himself was onsite yesterday. It was cool seeing him interact with guests. He introduced himself to me and we chatted briefly. When it came time for my girlfriend and I to get a ride to the airport he got on the golf cart for the short trip. He immediately complimented my gf about her looks and proceeded to give her his card and encouraged her to call anytime. I had to smile as the elderly Ramon is clearly a player with no shame in his game. I tip my hat to him. He was so smooth and upfront with it I actually second guessed whether I correctly interpreted what happened right in front me of. Afterwards, my gf and I had a good laugh when she said the same thing. A good friend said she previously had a similar experience. So, my only advice is if you go with an attractive female be prepared for Ramon to make a pass at her. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ValiantMongoose, Owner at Ramon's Village Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Please don't misinterpret Ramon. He loves everybody the same! When I bought Ramon's back in 1986, I told him his job was to hug all the women and make everybody else feel good. I think you will agree, he excels at his job - and enjoys it immensely! Ramon Nunez is truly a legend and an icon in Belize, which makes it even more appealing that he is so approachable and sincerely enjoys his guests so very much. Thank you for visiting, please come again soon!
Jupiter, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The resort definetely met my expectations! I loved the feel of the place, the thatched roof in the room, the landscaping, the sounds of the waves crashing on the reef and the birds calling in the trees.
ROOM 43 was a "Seaside" and I had a sufficient view of the blue water from the front porch. I liked that it was not one of the corner rooms because they share a front porch. I'm glad I could not get (did not pay for) a "beachfront" as some of the room seem to have obstructed views of the sea anyway. I'm glad the room had a fridge even if it barely cooled. I packed a small extension cord based on a review I read which was convenient so I could plug in my ipad charger and music player at the same time without wrangling for the wall outlet! A/C was great and bed was VERY comfortable, as were the linens. HINT, don't use ceiling fan as it sucks down the HOT air/humidity in the ceiling!

The service was fine, nothing exemplarly, but I was taken care of. I travelled solo and ate all but 2 meals for the week at Pineapples. No one "knew my name", but again, the service was fine. THE FOOD HOWEVER, was very dissapointing. Perhaps because I'm from Florida and am used to much of the fare on the menu, I was not impressed with anything I ate. I did think the prices were very reasonable and you can't beat the view and ambiance!

DIVING-I did not think the staff behind the counter at the dive shop were very welcoming; I only just got certified at home so I don't "know the ropes", but I walked the beach and talked to a few other dive shops that seemed more excited about their jobs and the wonders of the sea! The Divemasters at Ramons were VERY GOOD though. I had equalizing issues on my cert dive (ear hematoma) so while I was looking forward to diving, I was VERY anxious about being able to equalize and uncomfortable about having pain/problems. ALPHONSO took me out to Hol Chan for a 30' dive and I felt very well looked after and enjoyed it immensly!! I did 2 reef dives the next day at 80' and 60' with Turiano. He was very clear and thorough and kept an eye on me. I'm hooked! Diving feels very comfortable to me now that I had such close attention of these divemasters. Thank You.

THINGS TO DO-I took catamaran SEADUCED (which you can book at Ramons or directly-see local guide book that will be in your room) which docks at Ramons for a wonderful trip to snorkel Hol Chan and Shark Ray. I thought the best part was going to CAYE CAULKER-they dock here for 2 hours and you can explore on your own. The atmosphere here is much less commercialized than Ambergris and is very primitive. You can walk and photopgraph from one end to the other while here-be sure to head right off the dock to THE SPLIT though!

Also did the CAVE TUBING AND ZIP LINE tour. Boat picks you up at dock and travels about an hour to Belize mainland. Here you board a van and they drive about an hour to the "mountains". Did zip line 1st, felt very safe, then had lunch and did a little hiking (walking, really) with your tube for 30 min or so while the guides point things out like plants and trees. Beautiful location, relaxing way to pass time and take in the sights of the caves and jungle. SADLY THOUGH I SAW *NO* WILDLIFE.

I walked all through AMBERGRIS myself, mostly on the beach side as main street is HOT (and view is not as nice). I got a few "call outs" from the locals but I just ignored them and did not look in their direction. I was not hassled and felt safe. I did not venture out past dark though, except for one night I made the short walk to BLUE WATER GRILL. There are some more decent shops on the street, but the locals selling their wares on the shore will probably give you a better deal if you want what they have.

Room Tip: Dont pay for Beachfront, they wont guarantee which room # you'll get-Get a Seaside
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Returned to Ramon's Village after having stayed there and been diving with their operation in March, 2012. Absolutely no complaints this time (aside from the constantly windy days, heavy rains and dense cloud cover mid-week, high sediment levels in the water, and milky water the last few days -- NONE of which are the fault of Ramons or the dive operation!). Stayed in the Honeymoon Suite this time (were in a junior suite last time), and although the quarters were quite a bit smaller, the view from our veranda was unobstructed and perfect. Once again, we found the wait staff in the restaurant to be among the most upbeat, friendly, and accomodating crew one could imagine. Starting with Jack -- always quick with a bon mot (like, "...this food is Jack-a-licious", or "Jack-tacular," "You'd better Belize it", etc.). He would memorize every guest's home state along with their first name, and impress with his knowledge of your state motto (for us The Show Me State), professional sports teams, and capitol city. He never forgot our names, where we were from, or who we were with. Joel, Mark, Roberto, and Steve were equally gracious. And then there is Francis. Who, honestly, remembered us from 15 months ago when he picked us up at the airport! Big hugs all around, and a big welcome back greeting. Great conversationalist, with a keen sense of humor. Add to that the fact that he found our traveling companion's $3,000 hearing aid on the floor of the golf cart, after we thought it was lost on the the American flight from Dallas. We were sure it was gone forever, but when he spotted it, he put two and two together having heard us talking about it on the ride in from the airport. Sure, we provided him a small cash "thank you" and a nice bottle of Pinot Noir from Wine Da Vine across the street. He convincingly told us that such was not necessary, that he was only doing his job, etc. But after that, he refused to take ANY gratuity from us whatever -- including that which we would gladly have provided for schlepping our heavy bags to the airport and then unloading them.

Our Honeymoon Suite (Room 1) was just perfect. Housekeeper Cansi did an A+ job every day. Comfortable king bed, small refrigerator, good coffee and coffee maker, and microwave. It was far enough away from the pool and bar that we heard no noise (and noise was a MAJOR issue in our previous stay there). Not this time. It made us forget the fact that the internet wireless service went down and did not come back up for our last 4 days there, and only worked intermittently before that. We were told it was their local ISP, and that they were working to fix it. No worries -- we were happy to be "unplugged" from our e-mail and happily survived it! And an extra benefit is that there was NO TV!

As for the diving, the dive operation is still a class act. Pretty much dove with the same DMs all week. Ernest primarily, and he is great. Dove one day with Felipe, and another with Rolando. Both great. Seeing 3 dancing and playing Spotted Eagle Rays on the last day made it really a memorable experience. Ernest's assistant, Andy, was great, too, as we all needed a little help in the really choppy waters in and beyond the channel as we traveled to various dive sites. The DMs were in the water with us as we were struggling a bit on the tag line and waiting our turn to get back on the boat after the dives. They would remove our fins for us, and for me they would take my camera so that I could have both hands free and not get rope burn from the bobbing and weaving boat! The diving was a bit disappointing in that the reefs have lost a lot of their color and vibrance, with a sandy covering on many of them, and with the relentless winds day in and out, the water was sediment-laden and milky on many dives. Just the same, a fair day of diving is better than a good day at work any time!

Good restaurants and watering holes in an easy-distance walk, including Blue Water, Wild Mango, and Fidos. Took the North Coast ferry (only a 10-minute walk from Ramon's) up to Capricorn and Rendevous restaurants, too, but honestly liked the restaurants nearby much better.

Thanks, Ramon's, for another memorable week of diving, relaxation, and enjoyment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramon's Village Resort? Share your experiences!