I was looking for everything BUT Marriott/Hyatt style luxury for this short trip to Belize. I wanted comfort, peace, laid back style and basic boutique type luxury....and boy did I win the lottery by choosing MATA ROCKS!.
Despite having problems with my room comfirmation, the staff was able to quickly sort things out and offered me to view three available rooms for the inconvinience. Though room 11 and 6 for nice, I was also offered to view S6, which I fell in love with. Both S6 and S3 (the latter upstairs) were basically small suites facing the ocean!. I paid the room upgrade and enjoyed a fantastic looking room with magnificent ocean views, really out of this world. outstanding!!
Staff at Mata Rocks smiles all the time and are 100% accomodating to their customers,all in a laid-back athmosphere. The palapa bar, which also serves as breakfast area, concierge, information, front desk, bar, lobby, all you can think of...... is manned most of the time. Breakfast was adeaquate and delicious but more so was the coffee.
Back in the room all was very clean, all was fresh and everything worked great: AC, bathroom, kitchen..etc. great balcony area with breath-taking views and piece. Towels were fresh and clean, so was the bed nice and comfortable. the local bath soap was outstanding so I purchased four bars for my family.
Access to the resort is very good though the property is not in the San Pedro city center. But you know what? that was exactly what I was looking for: peace, quiet, relaxation. You can rent a bike for free (need to be back by 5:30pm), you can rent a gas-golf cart, or you can take the taxi, which will average you $10 BZE.
The beach area in front of the resort is very nice as well: towels always available, palapas, hamacs, beer...yes delicious local beer. Grounds always raked; small and lovely pool area. Because of the resort's size and feel, all guests seem to act is if they were part of a big family; the place is such that is condusive to conversation.
You could see the staff maintaining and cleaning the property all day long. They were so proud to be working at Mata Rocks, you could feel they owned the place. There was a security officer on the premises all night long, which also adds to the good feeling of this resort.
I was lucky to experience a beautiful sunset on 1/20 and an even more gorgeous sunrise on 1/21 from my room's balcony. Clearly an everlasting experience.
If you can, stay in room S6 or S3; still all rooms viewed are fantastic. Walk to El Divino for a good ceviche. Definitively take the SEArious snorkeling tour.
Boutique style resort that looks and feels like being in a family villa in Santorini, Greece. Do I need to say anything else??
Nothing....for some people it may be the distance to town.
- Also Known As:
- Mata Rocks Hotel San Pedro
- Mata Rocks Hotel
- Mata Rocks San Pedro
- Mata Rocks Resort Belize/San Pedro
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Intimate beachfront hotel providing personalized service in a casual atmosphere. Located one mile south of San Pedro on a beautiful sandy beach. All rooms and Jr. Suites have ocean views, A/C, cable TV, mini-fridges, coffeemakers, hair dryers, safes. Some rooms have kitchenettes. Complimentary continental breakfast, daytime use of bicycles, and taxi transfer upon arrival/departure are included in room rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your Mata Rocks Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.