We stayed at Matachica for a full week on the honeymoon package, although we were celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary :-) I would absolutely recommend the resort for any couple looking for a combination of luxurious comfort, adventure and relaxation. We'd love to go back!
Things we loved (and there were many this is just the list that's top of mind!):
1. The staff--absolutely everyone went out of their way to be helpful and engaging. For example, I'm a mosquito magnet and while almost no one else in the resort was bothered. Not only did they pull our the resort's personal can of Off whenever I approached they also tracked down some itch cream. Almost every member of the staff was incredibly friendly--always asking us about our day and what we liked about whatever adventure we'd taken.
2. The adventures. The boat ride from the airport to the resort definitely set the tone for a week of water adventure. Don't miss the cave tubing/zip line adventure!
3. The package--buying the package which included meals and several excursions in advance kept us from feeling nickel and dimed and took the anxiety out of sitting down to dinner and debating whether we should get a bottle or a couple of glasses of wine.
4. The Frette Sheets
5. The location--town is not a place you want to hang out for more than few hours. It's a bunch of plastic table cloth restaurants and souvenir shops. Being at Matachica meant we felt like we had a very private, very exclusive vacation. On the downside, it was a little quiet at night but after a day on tours and filled with activity that felt right for us.
6. The tile in the Lime Casita bathroom
7. The tour companies--Searious and Seaduced. Both fabulous. Both provided incredibly entertaining and educational days capped off with ice cold beer and rum punch.
8. The food--always hot which is a peeve of mind! And delicious too--especially the scallops, gazpacho and chocolate soufflé.
9. Oswald's skinny margarita--just like I liked it, all real lemon juice, tequila and triple sec. Pure and yummy.
10. Scrabble! The resort had games and current books avail for everyone to share. Great way to settle in to a cocktail before dinner.
Things I'd recommend improving
1. Access to the equipment--often we didn't get back until 6 from our adventures and we wanted to hop on a bike or in a kayak to cap off the day. The folks at the hut always accommodated us but we were told that usually none of the equipment is available after 5 pm. Makes no sense--if it's included, it should be available.
2. Preparation for the activities--would have been great to get recommendations on what we needed to take on each of the excursions that we selected through the resort. For example, it would have been helpful to know to take shoes with a strap for zip lining and a towel and change of clothes for cave tubing.
3. Really more for the tour companies but I have nothing nice to say about Marumba the resort we visited on the jungle tour/Mayan ruins day. It's incredibly cheesy and while we only stopped for lunch and a swim, the food was mediocre and the pool was in desperate need of repair. We snuck off to the "guest only" pool which was marginally better but still not nice compared to Matachica.
4. The wine list--I understand that there are heavy taxes on wine and the cost of transport is high, but I recognized most of the bottles that were around $35 at Matachica as bottles I could get for about $10 in the US. There are soooooo many fabulous bottles of $10 wines that are accessible and the wines on the list were simply not great. As someone pointed out to me, I didn't go to Belize for the wine which is true. But feels like given the caliber of the restaurant, the list could use some work.
5. Needs a ftness room--nothing fancy, but I expect to be able to work out on vacation! Just a simple room with a treadmill, an elliptical, a bike and some mats and weights (oh and ac). We swam in the pool but it's not the same.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Beach Resort is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 25 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom luxury villa. All with beautiful linens, exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo and Expedia so you can book your Matachica Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro