For me, Matachica could have been perfect. Great location, beautiful facilities... but the service left a lot to be desired.
The start was certainly promising, as airport pickup/check-in couldn't have gone any smoother. In fact, our whole first day was really pretty great.
The trouble came the next 2 days, as the service really worsened. I don't know if they were short-staffed, or if the managers weren't there(we noticed that things seemed to go much more smoothly when Oswalt was at the bar, or one manager [didn't catch his name, but he didn't wear a uniform, which led me to believe he was in charge] were around), but suddenly everything became a chore. Getting a beach towel became a 45 minute ordeal (this happened to me me 3 different times, and I heard other guests grumbling about it), the bar was often unmanned, and the general feeling among given from some (certainly not all) of the staff was that helping the guests was a real inconvenience for them. Beer bottles and cocktail glasses from the night before were on the dock until midday. We'd reserved a snorkeling trip on day 1 for day 3; 2 hours before we were set to leave, I went to the front desk to confirm (by the way, we'd been hanging around the lobby all morning), and the gentleman said, "Oh, you're the only ones, so we can't take you. I guess I could call around and see if someone else can take you." We ended up having to reschedule to the next day.
Also, the restaurant was pretty good, but very over-priced.
So, in summation, beautiful property with very inconsistent service. Maybe they're resting on their laurels, or maybe we caught them on a bad stretch. And it's not like anything horrific happened; it's just we were expecting more from such a ballyhooed property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Beach Resort is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 25 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom luxury villa. All with beautiful linens, exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Despegar.com so you can book your Matachica Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro