“Our wonderful honeymoon.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Matachica Beach Resort

You added Matachica Beach Resort to your Saves list
Matachica Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Beachfront | 5 Miles North of San Pedro, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Our wonderful honeymoon.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I have stayed at several luxury resorts in the past, but this was far and away the best experience I have ever had. We stayed at Matachica for our honeymoon from August 3 through August 8, 2014. The customer service is what really sets this place apart. Every single person was 100% professional and courteous while also being friendly and approachable. Matachica can help you organize tours or just lounge at the resort. Whatever you need. The food at Mambo restaurant was consistently outstanding. My wife was very happy with our fantastic honeymoon and I was as well. I highly recommend this place for anyone wanting a relaxing and romantic vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in the reef view suite. Highly recommend.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Gastonia, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this resort! The food, the casitas, the spa, and the staff was all top notch. My husband and I went for our honeymoon in May. It was a truly amazing vacation. Even though the resort was nearly full, it was as if you were there alone. The casitas are far enough apart that you didn't hear your neighbors. If you are looking for a truly romantic, peaceful, and serene vacation, then this is the place for you. You must have a mango-tini, a pina colata, and a coconut mojito from the bar during your stay! All are made with fresh fruits and coconut. At Mambo's our favorite appetizer was the Mambo carpaccio, entrée favorite was the crab stuffed grouper and curried island shrimp. We only ate in San Pedro one night because the food was so good at the resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in aqua which is directly behind the beachfront casitas. The beachfront was all booked up...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This resort is exactly what you would want a resort to offer. The facilities are beautiful and very clean. The staff goes above and beyond without being obtrusive. It was low-key and relaxing. I cannot wait to go back. The free water taxi service is perfect for going down in to town. There is a fun and tasty restaurant just a 2 minute walk down the beach. It had everything that you could want and need. The coconut mojitos are amazing. Rent a kayak and paddle out 10-15 minutes to the barrier reef and tie up to a buoy for all the snorkeling you will need: I stopped counting at 20 different types of fish at one little reef. Just beautiful all around. Sigh.....I want to be back!

Room Tip: Our casita was nice and quiet even though it was next to the pool and Mamba restaurant. Never a pr...
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We LOVE THIS PLACE!!

We can't say it enough.

This was our honeymoon..but it was truly the best vacation ever.

We have traveled all over the world and this is truly my favorite place. We have also been all over the Caribbean and Matachica tops them all.

First of all, Ambergris Cay, Belize is beautiful. Yes, tourism is starting to skyrocket and as a result, some of the beauty is lost. But the locals are AMAZING and the island is still not over developed (yet).

Second of all, the staff at this resort are top notch. Yara, Paola, Amy, Sam and all the other wait staff make sure your every need is attended to. The boys at the bar were fun and made the most amazing drinks. They even have us gentle ribbing when we "only" ordered cokes.

The beach staff, particularly Gilbert, was very helpful and enjoyed hearing our daily fishing stories. They were always ready to lend a hand with all things, from shirking, paddleboarding..to bringing drinks to the room! They did an amazing job of keeping the beach best and clean...and were so polite.

The maids were wonderful. Always making beautiful designs with our towels and putting flowers all over our bed towels. The room was always immaculate and fresh, cold water was provided twice a day.

Third..The food here is nothing less than spectacular. My husband loves all types of food, I'm a vegetarian. There was plenty to eat for both of us..and we loved it all!! I've read a few bad reviews on the food. Obviously, it's all about food preferences..but we truly enjoyed everything. Not to mention..The staff serve it with a joke, a huge smile and make you feel at "home".

Things to note:
There is sea grass right off the beach. If you are looking for pristine waters, you can kayak out to the reef (second largest reef in the world). You can kayak the ten minutes out, tether the oars and kayak to buoy and jump out and swim the reef. You can also paddleboard, or sail.

For those who just want pristine water right off the beach...this place is not for you. However, there is nothing other than shells (conch, clams) that will hurt you in the shallow sea grass. The marine life is more afraid of you than you are of it.

Also, there is not much area to swim in, regardless of the sea grass. They have a small area roped off by the dock. There is a ton of tropical fish to see, including the resident barracuda.

However, all that being said..How could you not love the idea of kayaking ten minutes out to the most beautiful reef and being one with the sea? It's not for everyone..but WE LOVED IT!!!!

Lastly, it's quiet here. No partying, no wild, crazy late night rages. No nightly entertainment.

What it DOES have is serenity, stunning beauty, fabulous staff, great food, many water sports, fabulous fishing, snorkling and access to diving and superb excursions off site.

Thank you to everyone at Matachica for making our honeymoon the best ever. We will definitely be back!!!

Love, Steve & Jackie.
Room "Peach" 28/7/14 - 5/8/14

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

My husband and I visited Matachica for our honeymoon and it was absolutely amazing. It is located far enough from the city of San Pedro so you feel like you're on your own private island but close enough to go visit for the day. We stayed in a beach front
casita which was absolutely stunning! The staff was so friendly and were very accommodating. I would most definitely recommend this resort... we are already planning our next trip there!

• Stayed July 2014
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

For us it felt like that movie Couples Retreat, maybe not quite that nice or as many activities as the movie but perfect water, great great staff, amazing food, perfect amount of seclusion.
My wife and I went here for our honeymoon with high hopes and Matachica blew them out of the water. Not only in amenities and setting but some of the friendliest staff I've experienced.
The individual casitas (bungalow) felt really private, great AC, and a really nice bathroom! Easy access - they pick you up and drop you off at either the pier or airport.
DOWNSIDES: Drinks are $10 (they meet you with a complimentary one at the pier when you arrive), we just took a bottle of rum from the duty free and made our own mostly but the ones we got were top notch (try the coconut mojito). You can charge everything to your room so it's easy to run the tab up if you're not paying attention. Food is pricy, ~$15 for lunch and ~$30 for dinner, the portions were big enough though that most nights we split an entree and had Plenty! Seriously some of the best and freshest seafood i've ever had! It's a 10 min boat ride from San Pedro and the shuttle stops running at 6pm so to get back you have to take a taxi $10 per person one way to get back, wasn't an issue for us because we don't care about night life but you can have other resorts pick you up and drop you off though which most of these reviews don't mention!!

Bottom line -- the coolest place I've ever seen let alone been to and that's coming from someone who lived in Hawaii and has traveled a lot.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband, my sister, her husband, and I just returned from a week-long trip in Belize. We stayed at Matachica the entire week and had an absolutely fabulous time. The accommodations were lovely and unique, the food and drinks were delicious, the activities were incredibly fun, and the staff was unbeatable. Anita, as well as many other well-informed staff, helped us pick our activities and answered all of our questions. Anita in particular was incredibly helpful and very kind. Burga and Beatriz were very helpful over email before we got there and answered our questions that helped us plan our trip.

Sam, one of the many servers at the resort, was probably our favorite. He gave us great advice on what to order, what the best shots were at the pool table in the bar, and helped us learn fun Belizian phrases. Every staff member was always willing to assist us and always wore a smile that was genuine.

Our favorite activities were a tie between snorkeling at Hol Chan and Mexico Rocks, but kayaking from our front door to the reef to snorkel, fishing, cave tubing, seeing Xunantunich, taking a bike ride on the beach, hanging out at the lovely pool, relaxing on the beach, and exploring San Pedro were also lots of fun.

I would highly recommend this resort without hesitation, although it is definitely a resort for adults or grown/almost grown children.

I don't think the four of us will soon forget our wonderful week in Belize. I picked this resort over others based on Trip Advisor reviews, and I hope this review helps someone else choose Matachica as well.

If you are comparing this resort to Victoria House, although I've heard Victoria House is really nice (and I'm sure it is), there is a low wall at Victoria House separating the ocean from the sand. I noticed that when we picked up people there to do an activity. I like being able to walk into the water without climbing over a wall. But, Victoria House is closer to San Pedro and accessible via golf cart. Matachica recommends taking a boat to San Pedro because the roads are rough and Matachica is twice as far to the city as Victoria House. It was easy to get to San Pedro by boat, so I didn't see that as a negative.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Matachica Beach Resort? Share your experiences!