“Caribbean excellence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Matachica Beach Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Matachica Beach Resort to your Saves list
Matachica Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Beachfront | 5 Miles North of San Pedro, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Caribbean excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Having stayed at numerous locations throughout the Caribbean I can say without reservation that Matachica is the most outstanding resort I have encountered.

Starting with the property itself. The grounds are well maintained constantly throughout the day. Even though we arrives one day after a tropical storm the grounds were largely clear of debris - cleaner than most of the beaches we have visited without storms.

The cabanas are immaculate, and the main lodge is exquisite. Attention to detail is evident through out, with original paintings and sculptures highlighted in public and private areas. Furnishings are comfortable, although the beds are a bit too soft for me personally (my wife did not think this was true - a long standing battle between us!).

As a pleasant aside, the music selections were spot on throughout the day. None of the typical Caribbean Bob Marley covers or steel drums. Actual international music, always appropriate for the time of day.

The food was top shelf, as evidenced by the crowds at dinner, mainly from other hotels and resorts. However, guests of the hotel do it need to make reservations. I never saw a guest of the hotel wait for a table.

Every member of the staff was attentive without being over bearing. In short order they remembered our room and preferences for both food an drinks. Their recommendations always seemed accurate. At the same time they were realistic without over promising. Off resort excursions and activities aligned closely with their descriptions.

Although far from the least expensive Caribbean stay I have had I found the money to be well spent. We will definitely be staying at Matachica again!

• Stayed June 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Shiloh, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This review will attempt to hit on everything about Matachica- We stayed in Belize for nearly two weeks at the end of May 2013. 5 Nights at Matachica, followed by 5 nights at Gaia Riverlodge in the jungle, followed by three nights back on Ambergris at Coco Beach. Read on:

Despite my number of reviews on Tripadvisor (few), both my new wife and I travel the world for a living on the company dime, and get to stay in the nicest accommodations in sometimes very unexpected locations. We've stayed in royal palaces, converted castles, and even hotels that have music being played on a solid gold harp in the lobby (that blew my mind.) Between us both, we have been to every country on Earth (even North Korea! ...neither of us has been to Antarctica though... but that shouldn't count!)

Despite all of that- we STILL chose to travel somewhere to get married- and I don't think we could've picked a better place than Belize.

Matachica for us had ONE downside, and I would like to get it out of the way right off the bat because in the grand scheme of things it’s small potatoes. The wedding planning services provided by the resort were abysmal. They have one person in charge of this, and in my opinion that contract needs to be re-thought. The resort originally stated "if the entire wedding party isn't staying at Matachica, then you cannot have the wedding here." Our small wedding party of 13 guests already booked differing accommodations in San Pedro, as they didn't want to crowd the newlyweds after the wedding was over and our honeymoon was beginning as many of them were staying in Belize for the following week. This resort requirement seemed preposterous- so I challenged it- and the resort came back saying "ok, only 13 and absolutely no more, and the reception dinner MUST be provided by and eaten at Matachica or you cannot have a wedding here." We already had a sunset dinner cruise on a catamaran booked for the reception- so this requirement was also ridiculous. To be clear: our actual wedding lasted less than 15 minutes (I have it on tape). The time with the photographer afterward and guest arrival portion (of which I paid for them to drink at the bar on my room tab) lasted about 40 minutes also. So the entire thing was MAYBE an hour. This wasn't something that was going to bring down the house, and cause a calamity in an otherwise peaceful resort. We used the absolute farthest piece of the beach for the ceremony, right on the property line so as not to disturb anything at all. Well, all of this static was stressing my bride out for no reason, so I told her I would handle it and she could rest easy. I told the resort as nicely as I could how unreasonable I thought they were being, that we were prepared to spend a few thousand dollars for an hour of their most deserted stretch of beach and yet they levied these hard-and-fast rules on us, with ultimatums. I told them that I hoped they would reconsider as we really wanted to use them for our wedding. They would not back down- only replying that they were sorry but rules were rules. At this point I sought an independent wedding planner. I found Iraida Gonzales- who was a godsend. She got us our wedding right on Matachicas beach exactly where we wanted it, without any hassle and none of the crazy requirements. We had a Matachica employee show us where they would recommend the ceremony to be, which was on the absolute farthest piece of beach on the property- and boy, was it GORGEOUS (but even then- someone in management made our set up and flower arrangers move everything twenty feet CLOSER to the resort AFTER they had set everything up already... even the gazebo... because they claimed someone complained about the location. Mind you: this made absolutely ZERO sense as we were truly in front of NOTHING, and then they moved us right in front of someone elses casita AND the first location was where they told us to put it. Not the stress you need on the morning of your wedding. Personally, I think it was out of spite. It seemed awfully strange to everyone involved. Even the locals we hired mentioned how ridiculous it was. We had heard from a local that the Matachica wedding coordinator was talking about us before our arrival saying we were "unbelievably difficult". That flabbergasted me, as the sheer simplicity we were looking for in a ceremony was testament in and of itself to the lack of requirements we were looking for- and in all my correspondence with her right up to the last was in a pleading, defensive tone in response to the offensive tone we were getting. In the end, even though it made the wedding planning 100% more difficult than it needed to be- we laughed it off... that lady is crazy.) As a side note, if you ARE thinking of tying the knot in Belize, you won't find a more beautiful stretch of beach than Matachicas anywhere. I HIGHLY recommend Iraida Gonzales for your wedding planning, and our photographer Jose Luis Zapata was the epitome of professionalism in photography. We are both 1000% happy we went with the sunset dinner/booze cruise as a reception by the way- it was INCREDIBLE. Seaduced by Belize did that for us- Rebecca was our captain and cook. My new wife and I are both professional cooks, and she knocked our socks off with the food. 6 stars out of 5 for Seaduced by Belize. Enough about the ONE bad aspect of our Matachica experience, because honestly- if you aren't getting married there it won't even be a factor for you. On to the good stuff!

EVERYTHING! Everything else is FANTASTIC here!

THE STAFF:
Irene runs the front desk often, and she is just aces. She was always incredibly helpful.
Chris the boat captain heard we were renting a third-party boat captain and his boat from San Pedro for the day to go out snorkeling and fishing- maybe even to the Blue Hole. When he heard of those plans he became concerned- and jumped into our water taxi to investigate who this captain was. He personally eyed up the vessel we would take and gave us the green light. This really made us feel safe, and that we were being looked after by the staff. He really didn't have to do that, but it was very cool that he did.
Israel is one of the bartenders- and he really does a fantastic job. Bartending is a hobby of mine, and he earns big points with me. Get a coconut mojito- you won't be disappointed.
Giovanni hangs out by the kayaks and snorkels, and was probably one of my favorite of the staff members here- even though I didn't see him a bunch. He was always genuinely friendly, helpful, and funny.

A small story: When we arrived on Ambergris my soon-to-be wife accidentally left a bag containing her bouquet at the airport in the baggage claim. We didn't realize the mistake until we were about to board the boat to Matachica- which is far enough from the airport that it would've been a big hassle to drive back to rectify. The employees said "no worries". And we went on our way, getting free drinks in the lobby- checking in and jumping on the bed :) Behind the scenes- the staff drove back to the airport, located the bag, drove back to the dock, put it on a boat, and got it to our room while we were just bellying up for a drink at the bar. We were so grateful!

THE AMENITIES:
Jade spa is their on-site relaxation center, and the couples massage we got there was great- I would recommend you do it too. I don't often get massages but my wife does, and she also recommends it. The setup was fast (as in, get undressed and lay down) but once you were down you were in relax mode big time. Our masseuses did a fantastic job!

The pool is great- with a hot tub right inside of it and a "shelf" area where you can lay on a lounger right in the water. The bar will send drinks out to you while you are in the water too which although it took a while between drinks to see the waiter again, was still a very nice addition to service. We met two other couples in the hot tub one night, and sat out there having drinks until late in the evening. It was really fun.

They have single and double person kayaks just sitting on the beach waiting to be grabbed, along with snorkels, fins, and life jackets- all free. The reef is a short paddle from the beach, and you can tie up the kayak to a buoy out there and snorkel to your hearts content. Some of their single kayaks even have glass bottoms, and I was able to find a bunch of lobsters while paddling! I also tied a small waterproof ipod speaker to my kayak and had tunes for the whole ride.

The gym is small, but it fits the bill. I didn't use it, but I checked it out for the purposes of this review. If you want to exercise while you are here- you'll be fine with the gym they have set up.

The beach is absolutely GORGEOUS. Something to know however, is that in Belize it is illegal to remove the "eel grass" in the water, as the fish depend on it for food and protection. Matachica is no exception to this law- and so this grass is in their water just like everywhere else. What ISN'T like everywhere else is how meticulous Matachica is in combing it and keeping it off the beach when it washes up. Walk off the property to unkempt beaches and you will see how much work they really do to keep it in the shape it is. It's no big deal really- it's just sea grass... it's not like giant strangle kelp or anything, and it doesn't even continue very far away from the shore. Just walk through it to swim, the grass is only like 4 inches high, and it's entirely underwater.

THE ROOMS:
The rooms here are referred to as "Casitas" and are all cleverly named to match the color they have been painted, based on tropical fruits. There are no losers here- but some offer a different experience than others. They are all a little different internally as far as I saw. We stayed in Banana, but my Aunt and Uncle in laws stayed in blueberry the week before the wedding and I got to see that room as well. Banana is in the third row of casitas, and thus had no breeze from the ocean to speak of. Even though I grew up in Northern Michigan, I have somewhat of a mosquito-aphobia and I was very apprehensive about staying in a breeze-less casita after reading reviews of others. In our entire stay at Matachica, I saw one mosquito- and it was by the pool. Maybe we got lucky with the timing of our stay, but I was happy about it nonetheless. Blueberry is directly in front of Banana in the second row from the beach, and it had a wonderful breeze. Blueberry also had a slightly better air conditioner than Banana, but once I finally figured out how to work the strange controls on ours- the Banana one performed just fine as well. Additionally, Blueberry had an odd two twin bed setup. I'm glad we didn't get that in Banana- as it would've made us feel like Fred and Ethel from “I love Lucy”. Banana had a big king bed which was very comfy. The casitas right on the ocean that were really spectacular looking were strawberry, melon, pineapple, peach, and plum. Mango is right next to the bar, and even though we are both still in our twenties, I don't think we would've liked the noise or lack of privacy in Mango. Banana had ultimate privacy, as well as some of the ones situated in the third row back behind the pool. The in laws mentioned that their bathroom window in blueberry wasn't very private, and had a light that would come on with movement and shine right in on them! The solution: they chose to forgo the ocean view in the bathroom, and keep the window slats permanently shut. Just a minor thing really.

The gift shop was pretty skimpy, but there are some shirts you can buy. I'm a magnet guy myself- and there was none to be found.

The free water taxis to and from town were convenient and fast- not to mention a fun little ride. The schedule changes daily but is posted in the lobby and there is a boat leaving constantly it seems.

THE ATMOSPHERE:
Top notch. Music selection was constantly fresh and set the tone perfectly. As previously mentioned- the staff are all-stars. The sand is raked like a zen garden every morning- resort wide. There are lizards and crabs hanging out. (one time at the bar- a little lizard fell from the ceiling WAY above and landed right on my hand! Dazed, he sat there for a second, then jumped off and scurried through the floorboards. I found it really fun, and it really brought the bar together laughing and talking.) At night there can be a lot of crabs running around outside. We had fun chasing them off on the way from the bar to our room :) The beach and ocean reef out front is the best anywhere.

THE FOOD:
The food here was some of the best we ate anywhere in Belize. Mambo is the name of their restaurant and it is recommended island-wide, for good reason. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner- I think you'll be pleased. Huevos Rancheros for breakfast was a fave, tequila fish tacos for lunch is king, and dinner is full of winners too. Right next door is "Rojo Bar". They are closed Sundays and Mondays- but they have incredible conch fritters there. It's one of the only things I tried, but it was phenomenal- and their drinks were superb. If you like a spicy drink sometimes- ask for a drink called "The Mexican". It's a yellow tequila drink with a slice of jalapeño floating in it- I loved those things.

All in all- Matachica will forever have our glowing recommendation. They are simply the best. If you are looking for rustic beach relaxation, privacy, and top notch service- look no further. On a side note- if you are looking for more of the social-y beach party scene, Coco beach is your place. I'll be writing a review of that resort, as well as Gaia Riverlodge, Seaduced by Belize, Jose Luis Zapata, Baby Boy Tours, Iraida Gonzales, Tropic Air, the local bars, and San Pedro itself in the coming days. If you are interested, I hope you look me up for them!

Room Tip: There are no losers here- The casitas right on the ocean that were really spectacular looking were s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Topsham, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just got back from 7 days/6 nights at Matachica celebrating our 15th anniversary. The resort was exactly what we were looking for: beautiful location, luxurious, great food, no party crowd, relaxing.

Beautiful location: beautiful white sand beaches, aqua water with a beautiful reef to explore just off the resort. Ambergris Caye is incredibly beautiful and Matachica must be one of the most beautiful resorts there.

Luxurious: the accommodations were amazing. We stayed in Pomegranate which had wi-fi although most rooms don't. It's a Sea Breeze Suite which means it's not on the water. That ended up being nice because the beach is used as a thoroughfare for some of the locals and can be pretty windy. The rest of the resort was also very beautiful. The pool is amazing the staff are super attentive and go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect. We're stoic New Englanders that are used to doing everything ourselves, so it took a little getting used to....in a good way. From the time we were picked up at the San Pedro airport until we were dropped off there a week later, nearly everything was done for us and always with a smile.

Great food: We'd read reviews that the chef at the restaurant was excellent. We were not disappointed. While being treated like a movie star is new to us, eating great food is not. We've travelled extensively internationally and domestically and were very pleased with everything we had at the restaurant. On Sunday morning we went fishing with Charlie and the chef prepared our catch for dinner. We were asked how we wanted it prepared, but knew better than to answer with anything other than, "however the chef prefers."

No party crowd: If you read through some of the older reviews, you may hear complaints about loud music, the bar, partiers, etc. It's not like that any longer. From the pictures posted here, we can see that major changes were made. There used to be a pool right next to the restaurant and bar. There is now a lovely outdoor patio there where we ate most of our breakfasts. The new pool is beautiful and we spent a lot of time there. Every couple that we talked to was there for their honeymoon or anniversary. If they were looking for the party scene they would have gone to another resort or another country.

Relaxing: This isn't easy for us, but we did it. We found it hard not to relax! We enjoyed a couples aromatherapy massage, drinks by the pool, reading our books, working out together, going to bed early (the sun sets much earlier in June in Belize than it does in June in Maine), spending time in San Pedro, and just having time to talk (hard to do with 4 kids).

What to do: Treat yourself to the spa, you won't be disappointed. Take a guided fishing trip and eat your catch, it will taste even better. Kayak out to the reef to go snorkeling. It's a good workout to get out there and the sights are beautiful. Go to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley, the beauty cannot be described, so just go. Go to San Pedro several times. Go during the day. Go at night. Eat at a restaurant. Buy food from a street vendor. Take in the sights, sounds and smells. Don't be an idiot.

Things to remember: Matachica is a luxury resort in the third world. Expect it to feel that way. Americans have a well-deserved bad name for themselves overseas. Don't make it any worse. Learn the names of as many people at the resort as you can. Expect to pay tourist prices for some things. Other things are expensive because you are on an island off the coast of a tiny country. Be thankful for the time you have with the person you are with. Find reasons to be thankful not reasons to complain.

Other reviews: We had little to no bug problems. We had no problems with loud music or drunk guests. We had no issues with the staff.

We've only been back for a day and we've already recommended it to two couples. Visit the website and scroll through all of the pictures. It's every bit as beautiful as the pictures.

Room Tip: Pomegranate is a Sea breeze Suite that had wi-fi 99% of the time.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Matachica Beach Resort has a lot going for it. This was my first time to Belize and I really looked hard at finding a place that would be relaxing, have bits of luxury yet some adventure and I think I really found that at this place.
My husband and I are in our early 40s and we stayed in Guava (back behind the pool) for a week. We probably would've chosen a room closer to the water, but that's all they had left at the time we booked. I honestly don't think I missed being ocean view/ocean front. It was just as nice as the other casita's inside and you are still just steps away from the beach. We went with another couple and we have all traveled extensively to places like St. Lucia, Costa Rica, Mexico, Hawaii, etc. and this place really does rank right up there with one of the nicest places I've had the pleasure of staying at.
Positives of the resort include:
Coconut mojito welcome drinks and wet welcoming towel were wonderfuly refreshing
Casita was clean, just as beautiful as the pictures and the bed was extremely comfortable
Pool was well maintained and the hot tub was the perfect temperature
Food at Mambo (the on property restaurant) was almost always excellent. I can reccommend the banana chocolate chip pancakes, red snapper special, pork chops, fish and chips, grouper sandwich, pecan crusted chicken and ravioli dish because I tried them all and they all were very good. Also, the continental breakfast each morning was consistenly good and served with juice, water and coffee.
Jade spa massages were very good--even included some unexpected hot stone massage
The beach and the water were gorgeous, the sea grass in the water didn't bother me a bit
I also loved that you can use the resorts paddle boards, kayaks and paddle boats free of charge. The staff at the activities center were always willing to assist and were very friendly.
There was never an issue if you wanted to bring your own drinks that you bought in town to the pool or even to dinner--I appreciate that a lot because it does save quite a bit of money if you like to enjoy a few cocktails
Some things this resort could improve on/negatives to visiting
No activities. Just some live music or a jazz band in the evening some nights during dinner or yoga on the beach in the mornings would really improve this place
The bugs were absoltely atrocious here. We even brought bug spray and went through the entire can and had to get more
Air was not on in the room when we checked in and it really should've been--it was very hot, and would have given a better first impression
Wi-fi is more spotty than I thought it would be. I did miss having it in my room. You could consistenly get it around the check in area, bar and restaurant
It would really improve this place if they would just open a very limited menu of bar food to the guests staying there in the evening. Sometimes you just don't want fancy food or a big meal and need another option besides going into town. I get that they don't want to take away from the restaurant, that's why I would limit it just to guests who are staying on the property. Or, even open up the lunch menu at dinner to those that are staying on property
Some additional info on Belize. We did the Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley tour with White Sands tour group (arranged by the Resort) instead of going with the resort directly because our friends wanted to dive and we just wanted to snorkel-- but wanted to be together. I can highly recommend White Sands. We got to go with just our friends and they were very professional and really took pride in showing us lobster in the water or even a sea crab. I also would really do this tour. I've snorkeled in Bonaire, Mexico, Hawaii and this was by far some of the best snorkeling I've ever done. I even got to see sea turtles!
We also did the chicken drop at Wahooz on Thursday night. Get there before 6 and get in line for the experience, but save yourself the trouble and only bet on the first drop. Once the novely wears off (and that happens quickly) it's kind of boring hanging around there.
In San Pedro we ate at Estelle's By the Sea, Elvi's Kitchen and the Tacklebox Bar and Grill. All had good food. We also went down to Rojo's Lounge (just a few piers down from Matachica) and had drinks and their pizzas. Very good.
There was not as much shopping in the town of Belize as I would've hoped for. Everyone seemed to have the same thing and the same prices.
Overall, I had a lovely time and if going back to Belize, I would return. A romantic, relaxing stay that was hard to leave.

Room Tip: Guava casita by the pool, althrough not closer to the ocean, still perfectly fine.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This hotel looks exactly the same in person as it does on their website! EXACTLY! The rooms are amazing, the food is DELISH, and the service is impeccable. Everyone is so friendly and clearly enjoys working there, they would remember which activities we signed up for and inquire about them, and their pina coladas are super yummy ;)

I was worried about the sea grass in the ocean right on the beach because I'd read about it, but there is a designated "swimming area" at the end of the dock where you can float around and even borrow snorkeling equipment, so you don't have to walk far to jump in the ocean! You can wade into it right out of your casita, but it is a bit grassy and the water only comes up to your knees right there. Still perfect for a beachy vacation.

With the honeymoon package we got A TON of food - we were supposed to get an appetizer at dinner each, an entree each, and a dessert each, plus a bottle of wine to share! But we never could eat that much, so we probably lost a little money, but it was worth it not having to worry about what we were spending. Also we got a couple of "adventures" thrown in - the Lamanai tour and snorkeling! Snorkeling was AMAZING - it's so peaceful and beautiful! Definitely invest in an underwater camera before going!!! Lamanai was also amazing since it was so old and had so much history, but it IS an ALL DAY event - leaving at 6:30am and getting back at 6pm, so be prepared and rested ;)

Speaking of, our ONLY complaint which is oh so minor was that the a/c vent faced the "seating area" of our casita instead of the bed. This is coming from a couple who usually turn the a/c down to 69 to sleep, so I'm sure it's fairly unusual for people to worry about that - you can easily open the windows and blinds and have the sea air blow through the room and it's beautiful and wonderful, and also we were just lazing about most of the time anyway so who needs that much sleep? ;)

In short, it was perfect, amazing, wonderful, and I would go back in a heartbeat. The massages were incredible, and the hammock may be my favorite part ;) It was secluded, romantic, and based on the other hotels I could see on our boat rides to and from town, definitely the best place on Ambergris Caye to stay :)

Room Tip: I'd read to get a casita farther away from Mambo (the restaurant) due to noise, so I requested t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have traveled extensively throughout the US, Central and South America, and Europe and I can honestly say that Matachica is the #1 resort that I have ever stayed at....hands down. It is not the biggest or the fanciest resort, but that is what gives it the character, uniqueness, and experience that you are not going to find anywhere else.

The property, view, and location are absolutely beautiful. The food is wonderful and the staff are the nicest and most hardworking people that you will ever meet. They really made the experience of staying at Matachica exceptional.

I can't even imagine how anyone could not give Matachica 'Excellent' ratings across the board. If you read any negative ratings, trust me...don't even bother to read them. If those people couldn't have anything but an amazing time at Matachica I can't imagine how bad their life must be when they are not on vacation.

Stay at Matachica. It will be the best vacation decision you make!

Room Tip: Beachfront Casistas are well worth the additional cost with their beachfront location and proximity...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
The Lou
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

what more can i say that hasnt been said already in the reviews. This staff is top notch and the chef is professional. The grounds are beautiful and well manicured. Its a very low maintenance stay with water activities included which were hassle free and fun. I think the one plus is the Matachica boat taxi. Im not sure if the other resorts were as punctual or even had a water taxi system for their clients but we felt safe and confident in the Matachica boat system.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Matachica Beach Resort? Share your experiences!