“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Matachica Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Matachica Beach Resort to your Saves list
Matachica Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Beachfront | 5 Miles North of San Pedro, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #8 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Portland, Oregon
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We visited Belize for the first time last summer (Aug 12) and knew only what guide books and the internet could tell us. We chose to go the the jungle (Table Rock Lodge) and see the forest, waterfalls and adventure in ruins and caves and then to relax at the beach. We saw Matachica's web site and liked the looks of the place...nice photos, the lay out looked intimate and lovely.

I can say 100% that we made the correct decision in Matachica! It was an amazing place to spend a week of relaxation in paradise.

The staff picked us up at the airport and pour first view of the place off of the dock was happiness. The casitas are very cute. Each is a different color on the outside and named after fruit (ours was lychee). The are separate enough to feel intimate and each have a nice little porch and hammock. The grounds were well maintained and lovely, many flowers. Inside the casita was well designed for the beach with tile floors and light and airy. The bed was super comfortable and with premium yummy linens. The bathroom was large and had a great shower area big enough for 2. I would have been happy just staying in often though really it was too lovely outside to be in.

The pool was warm and had a view of the ocean. It was very quiet there, it being a small and luxurious resort. The staff was always around to offer cocktails or water, whatever you needed. It felt like there were more staff than guests actually which made us feel pampered.

The beach was raked free of beach grass each day, though most of the beaches have grass in the shallows which is odd to walk through but part of the area so no big deal. The view was spectacularly turquoise. So peaceful and lovely.

Food was good and we felt utterly relaxed and at home. They even prepared for me plain rice and toast (not really on the menu) when i was ill for a day and gave us a thermometer. All in all great service.

Room Tip: We had a casita near the pool and it was great. It was the only one left while booking however and i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

550 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed at Matachica for 10 days in April last year. Our room-banana room-directly on the beach, it looked like a banana outside(yellow) and very stylish inside. We didn't have all sort of facilities/gadgets from luxurious hotels, but, to be honest, you cannot expect to find fancy stuff in heaven. ;)
An amazing place to stay, to relax, to visit. Also you can do many things, many excursions available .
The services-5 stars, the staff-very friendly, ready to help at any moment. A special thank to Henry-nice lad, amazing boat driver (little Schumi) , but with one problem (supporter of Real Madrid) :)
Apart for this-amazing, no other words.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My DH & I celebrated an anniversary here in July, and....WOW! We were blown away by this place, and have only fantastic memories of our stay here. Words really cannot describe what actually being here is like...but I'll try my best. We stayed in the 'Strawberry Beachfront Casita' - it's the beach cabana of your dreams - vaulted, thatched roof, luxurious, gorgeous...then walk out over your deck past your hammock & on to the powdery white sand with the Caribbean directly in front of you...nothing compares. Restaurant had incredible food & fantastic personalized service! You were made to feel as if you were going to be missed when you left! Lazing away on their dock, or any one of their other comfortable beach hammocks, loungers, chairs, etc with a drink in hand.....aaaah!! Their pool was stunning & picturesque in itself! We didn't use their spa facilities, so I can't comment on that. Overall, it was heavenly staying there - puts me in a happy place every time I think of it!

Right from the moment we got off the airplane, to being back at the airport, they took good care of us. Having to leave was the worst part :)

Room Tip: Beachfront Casita's are definitely worth it!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Matachica means Xanadu in English. The definition of Xanadu is “a place of great beauty, luxury, and contentment.” The definition is true to form. .

From the time we made our reservation until the moment we were dropped off for our journey home everything we needed was taken care of. I cannot say enough about how helpful and friendly the staff are. They could not have done more for us.

We stayed in the Deluxe Beachfront Casita and they were extremely clean, roomy, cozy and comfortable. Definitely five star.

Over the course of our nine-day stay we felt like we became a part of the Matachica family. We are already planning our return stay for 2014!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Pros:
- Perfect honeymoon setting.
- Wonderful casitas. I would highly recommend beach front because of the fantastic breeze and view from your bed.
- Super comfortable bed and room (we were in Melon).
- Nice pool area.
- Fantastic restaurant and bar. VERY good food and we live in NYC. Drinks were also great.
- Best staff. So friendly and warm while also being perfectly helpful.

Cons:
- Tours need A LOT of work.

They should be embarrassed of the current quality of the tours. The fishing tour with Mario was a joke. I grew up salt water fishing and this was like going out with your lazy 12 year old nephew who threw chum in the water which isn't fishing. The boat was also really crappy. The icing on the cake was that because I was a woman he felt the need to cast for me every time despite the fact that I could cast better than him and my husband. That was offensive.

The Hol Chan tour was cool but really only because of the reserve itself. Although contributing to the feeding of wildlife which is horrible for conservation efforts made me feel really horrible. They should really look into building a program that benefits the country's nature - not threatens the safety of the wildlife.

- Hot tub should actually be hot.
- Though the drinks were delicious they were definitely over priced.
- Can't swim right off of the beach because of the seagrass.

Room Tip: I would recommend the beach front casitas because of the fantastic breeze off of the water. It was o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Matachica, Owner at Matachica Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We take guest comments very seriously and have investigated your complaint with respect to this particular fishing tour operator. Our conclusion is that you are absolutely right and we have severed our relationship with this particular fisherman.

Generally, we much prefer to offer our own "in-house" guides for snorkeling and fishing but scheduling conflicts sometimes force us to find alternatives for our guests. I assure you that we do our best in vetting any tours or operators that we use and fortunately our guests are overwhelmingly pleased with the service offered. Occasionally tour operators fall short. This was one of those rare occasions.

I apologize to you for this and have made sure that we do whatever we can to avoid this recurring with any other fishermen who we engage in the future.

Thank you again for your comment.

Daniel Lighter
Owner
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

When you are staying on the sand in a concrete hut, you might not expect pristine, well-decorated rooms and personal service from every employee you see. But Matachica delivers everything you would expect from a luxury hotel in a city, along with rooms that open right onto the ocean. The food at their restaurant was excellent and priced reasonably - we ate there on all but one night and were pleased every time. This is all the more impressive when you consider that they could easily charge more based on the 20-minute boat ride into town. The hotel is pretty accommodating of requests to go into town - they have scheduled departures and also keep a record of any additional trips so that you can hop in with someone else if possible. Choosing a room is up to each person's taste and budget, but I can say that staying in the beachfront rooms was worth it for us to wake up with a private view of the ocean. We arranged a fishing excursion through the hotel that was a lot of fun. We also, of course ,went out to the Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley - it may seem touristy or tame, but there's a reason "everyone" does that trip. It's a quick half-day activity and you get to see and interact with a tremendous variety of sea life.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in the Luxury Caribbean Villa. When I booked our room, it was the last thing left, so they “split” the Villa for us for a lower price, and we just utilized one bedroom, bathroom and the living area. We still enjoyed it. We enjoyed having the refrigerator in the room. This was an added bonus. We talked to many other couples in the regular huts and they wished they had a refrigerator available. I loved that we were in the back of the resort, as everyone always wants to go to the front. It was just a little more private. The only thing I would change about the Luxury Villa is that they should put solid colored glass windows or blocks in the bathrooms in the back to add some privacy. Also add air conditioning in the bathroom. Someone lives directly behind the Villa and I felt like they could see us taking a shower every night. Would also liked to have a little dresser or something to store more of our clothing.

Side note: They use regular plugins, so if you bring your digital devices, you are all good.

If I was booking a regular hut, I would definitely go with one of the Sea Breeze Suites or Bungalows. Sure... everyone would love to have the straight ocean view, but it's also less private.

I had good wifi reception in our villa also, maybe because we were close to the spa. The strongest wifi reception was in the bar and restaurant area, though.

The food at Matachica was WONDERFUL. We didn't eat there every meal, but we could have. The free breakfast is plentiful. My husband eats a lot of food, and it was plenty for him each morning. It's not like a buffet.. you still order from the menu and they serve you. There is always fresh coffee and tea also.

The staff at Matachica went above and beyond. They were wonderful. They helped all the time and were not greedy or needy. Nothing but smiles and great service. (I think this is why I love Belize... the people!) When we got into our Villa we didn't have a hammock. That was the one thing I wanted when we stayed. Within one hour, they had the tools out and put one up for us! They were also very helpful with excursions etc. Thanks to Anita, Areen, Joel and Elide!

We liked venturing in town to see the different shops and restaurants in San Pedro. We ate at Caprice Bar and Grill (YUM), Wild Mangos (YUM), and Elvi's Kitchen (great sandwiches!). We also visited the local grocery store (say hi to Karim!) and bought wine, candy bars, suntan lotion and other things there. Very easy and convenient. We also had drinks and the famous Conch pizza next door at the “Rojo lounge.” Say hi to “Halliday the bartender!” He's great! We took a water taxi to the “Bar” (palapa bar) for some cheaper drinks and appetizers one night also!

Excursions: We did the Lamanai trip. (a must do!) which took you to the mainland areas and you got to see the best Mayan Ruins. I also found “Carlos Tours” online before we went for his snorkeling trip on Caye Caulker. We did this, as he goes all day, does the extra stops and you can buy a CD with TONS of great pictures that he takes of your tour. It was only $15 for the CD! It is a bit of a juggle to plan the boats to Caye Caulker to get there by when he starts around 10:30, but we did it... and it was well worth it! It was great to go see another island also.

Pool: We didn't really use it. I'm not a big pool person, but a lot of people enjoyed it. Spa: Didn't have time to use it either.

Overall, this was our first trip to Belize and I KNOW it will not be our last. We have been to Mexico, Jamaica, the Dominican and nothing even compares. The island of Ambergris Caye is one of the most beautiful places I've been. It was nice that everyone speaks English, they use American money, the bathrooms in almost every establishment are super-clean, and the flight isn't far at all.

Last tip. Getting there: If you can afford it, take Tropic Air from Belize City. I had never been on a small plane, and it was easy, smooth and trust me... it's a LOT better than the one hour boat ride!

Room Tip: If I was booking a regular hut, I would definitely go with one of the Sea Breeze Suites or Bungalows...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Matachica Beach Resort? Share your experiences!