“Unforgettable!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Matachica Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Matachica Beach Resort to your Saves list
Matachica Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Beachfront | 5 Miles North of San Pedro, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #7 of 56 Hotels in San Pedro
Nutley,NJ
“Unforgettable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending our honeymoon at Matachica from Dec 8th 2012 to Dec 15th 2012. We were extremely satisfied with our decision in choosing this resort. First, I have to say it was magical going somewhere where it was quiet...no kids, no annoying guests, just peace and quiet. We were looking for somewhere ultimately romantic - where we could just focus on eachother and not be annoyed by party crowds, loud families, etc... and matachica succeeded at providing us with that!

OUR ROOM: We stayed in the "banana" casita (seabreeze 350 sqft) - perfect size for us! We loved the location of our room because since we were all the way in the back corner, no one ever walked past our room - Total Privacy!! We took full advantage of our cozy hammock on our porch and made friends with some little gecko's that liked to hang out on the wall (too cute!). Each day our room was cleaned, towels replaced, and decorated with flowers.

PROPERTY: The beach is beautiful and the water is blue, only problem is that it is filled with seagrass so you need to walk out onto the dock before entering the water. There are plenty of water sports free of charge to utilize while staying at the resort. The pool is nice to chill out by for a bit, but it a lot hotter over there, so I always preferred lounging on the beach or the dock.

FOOD/Mambo: We had the continental breakfast included with our package. You have the choice of cereal and yogurt or bread, hardboiled egg, and fruit. I always opted for the bread/egg option, which was fine for me. Lunch and Dinner were not included and Mambo the onsite restaurant is a bit pricey! Since it was our honeymoon and the food was scrumptious we decided to splurge, but on our next visit, we'll try to eat at more places in town to save a bit more cash! My favorite lunch meal at Mambo was the fish skewers and my favorite dinner meal was the Belizean Lobster - best lobster ever! Do not leave this resort without trying the key lime pie! You wont regret it!!! We did make it into town to try two other restaurants. The first was lunch at Elvi's and the second was lunch at Wild Mango's. Both places were great but offered something different - I highly recommend both!

EXCURSIONS: We only did one tour while staying in Belize due to money and time - we chose the Lamani Ruins tour and it was well worth it.

STAFF: I cannot say enough good things about the incredible staff at Mambo. From the first day we arrived, the staff was welcoming with genuine smiles. They always greeted my husband and I by name morning, afternoon, and evening and always found the time to chat about all different things. This staff is super knowledgeable about their country, their resort, etc...They are very hard workers - working all hours, and never without a smile. I am so pleased we had the pleasure to meet all of them and converse with them whenever possible.

BELIZE: This country is beautiful and has so much to offer. Do not hesitate in vacationing here. There is so much to do and see that you can't simply do it in one trip. We will definitely return soon!

San Pedro: The main area of town is very small only three streets. We never felt unsafe here or bothered by locals trying to sell us stuff. We did not spend anytime there in the evening, so I can't comment about how things are at night, but I would say treat it as it is anywhere else you are unfamiliar with - just use caution! Don't forget to stop in the chocolate store next door to Wild Mango's!

If you are planning a trip to Belize - don't wait - book it now! Don't stay anywhere unless it's at MATACHICA!

Thank you to the staff at Matachica for touching our hearts and making our honeymoon special! We will return again soon!!! Your friends in the banana room :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed at Matachica from 11-11-12 thru 11-18-12. Matachica was awesome!! The service was the best, the casitas (all named with fruit names) were gorgeous and the resort was just beautiful. Staff was always combing the beach every moring from any sea grass so the beaches were always beautiful and white. The restaurant Mambo's was awesome - my favorite dish was the chicken carbonara. Everyday our casitas were cleaned and fresh flowers left everywhere - on your bed, pillows, towels.Everything was done perfectly. They have paddle boats, kayaks, paddle boarding and snorkeling equipment. They also have bikes so that you can ride up and down the beach. The one thing that I can say that really help to make Matachica perfect is their staff. As a guest, they did not seem like just an employee, they felt like your friends yet provided the best service. I can hardly waiting to return. Thanks to all the staff I met at Matachica, you made our stay there perfect!!! PS - this place is definitely a couples place.

Room Tip: No TV or radio - if you create a playlist and bring a portable speaker to connect to your iPhone you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Radville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I travelled here in February 2012. After communicating back and forth with Burga (so helpful and always the fastest replies.. the only let down of the entire trip was when we realized Burga didn't work onsite at Matachica, rather in Belize City) and changing out reservations once due to a family emergency we were on our way. We were greeted at the airport by Henry, our very friendly gold cart driver, baggage handler and boatman, and off on a 15 minute boat ride to matachica. The boat ride was smooth and there is so much to see along the coastline, that the 15 minutes flies by. On our arrival, we were greeted by Ramone, who gave us a quick tour of the grounds, and by Israel, the bartender with cold towels and cold drinks (pina colada for me --these are still calling my name, and a margarita for my husband). Matachica is so beautiful and you can be as busy as you want or you can simply enjoy the peace and quiet. There is snorkeling, kayaking, right off the dock, or you can opt for excursions arranged by the front desk. We went reef fishing one day and brought our catches back to Mambo, the restaurant and they prepared fresh fish tacos for us with them. Charlie was our captain that day and he was very fun to chat with and he brought some fantastic rum punch a long for the afternoon. We also went to the xuantanich (sp?) and cave tubing on the mainland for the day with jason, our guide who was very funny and full of information! We ate at Mambo almost everynight, the food is delicious. They staff are so friendly, said hi to us anytime they saw us, knew our names, where we were staying. On our last night, the bartenders even left us a bucket of beer and some fishing rods so we could fish off the end of the dock. I truely miss these people and Matachica overall! The massages are amazing, the staff is so kind and the bungalows are very comfortable and peaceful. We loved it here and are already planning to return!!

Room Tip: We had an oceanfront bungalow. highly recommend!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is a gorgeous resort on the beach. The cottages are beautiful and the service is outstanding!
The rates included a free pickup from the ferry dock in San Pedro, and we were served complementary cocktails on arrival :).. The bar tenders were really friendly and fun..The only downside was the cost of dinner approx: 50$/person,...but it was worth the splurge once/twice during the trip for the ambiance. The town had some great local restaurants like El Fogon, Waruguma, Wild Mangoes which are a must try. The resort also helped us get a great deal on snorkeling to Hol Chin reserve with the White Sands dive shop

Room Tip: Take your bug spray!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon (January 2011) and have been dreaming about returning ever since. I wanted to stay someplace with cottages right on the beach, my husband required air conditioning, and we both required solitude, massages and delicious food (we're aspiring foodies). We found everything here. And while I'm sure it's not the cheapest option, it is worth every single penny. The service is impeccable, and from the moment we were met at the beach in San Pedro by Captain Charlie, we knew we were in for a perfect 8 days. He called over our orders for welcome drinks, and after an easy speedboat ride (FYI, I often get seasick and had zero trouble on this boat) we were met by friendly, cheerful staff who carried our bags, led us to where we could check in, and handed us a margarita (for me) and a daiquiri (for my husband). We were told we would be staying in Tangerine (all the "casitas" are named after fruits). It. Was. Heaven. 20 steps from the water, hammock outside, unbroken view of the carribbean, and gorgeous inside. And also about 20 steps from the restaurant and bar, which provided maybe too easy access to incredible food and drinks, but never got very noisy. We instantly relaxed. Bought the honeymoon package which included breakfast and dinner every day, including one bottle of wine every night. It's how we found our new favorite wine! During the days we rented bikes, kayaks, or snorkeling gear (all at no additional charge!!!), walked along the beach to check out the neighboring hotels/houses, grab a drink at the bar one hotel over, and return happily to our dear Matachica. The staff defies description. Everyone was terrific, gracious, and kind. I had a little fainting spell at our table before dinner one night (simply skipped lunch and stood up too fast), and the staff rushed over to help me, and kept checking to make sure I was OK, even the next day! Activities we loved: massages, snorkeling trip, fishing trip (husband did this one--I opted for another massage instead :), candlelight dinner on our porch, reading on the beach, stargazing, and sharing pre-dinner cocktails lounging in beach chairs. The drinks are WONDERFUL and the food is delicious. The steak is some of the best I've ever had, and I still lust after that ceviche. We are grateful for every moment spent at Matachica. We have never felt more relaxed and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Tangerine was our favorite, but I think you can save a few pennies if you opt for something a row or...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This year my wife and I invited 22 friends and family members to join us at Matachica for six days during Thanksgiving week to celebrate our 10th anniversary. To say it was the thrill of a lifetime is putting it mildly.

We’d been planning this trip for almost a year and corresponding regularly with Burga who arranged everything and answered all our questions (and we had many) with lightning speed (she says she sleeps with her computer). Upon arrival Anita checked us in and gave us a thorough yet concise orientation of the resort. From there we were directed to our respective casitas, which are all named after a fruit (ours was called plum). The casitas are all roomy and luxurious and we slept there like lambs during our stay. Not only is the location of the resort exotic and relaxing, the entire staff was attentive to our every need. In fact, the service at this resort is on par with any Four Seasons hotel.

Our group ranged in age from people in their sixties to kids in their twenties and all participated in many of the resort’s exciting excursions – snorkeling at the world’s second largest barrier reef, swimming with groups of sharks (they don’t bite), fishing at the reef for your lunchtime meal (many thanks to Charlie, our guide), and what we referred to as the “triathalon” – an all day trip to the Mayan ruins, combined with tubing the water through caves and zip-lining inside the rainforest!

At night we gathered at the Matachica Bar for colorful cocktails before sitting down for scrumptious meals at the resort’s world-class restaurant where we were waited on by the wonderful Abby. She served our entire party every night with incredible poise and charm, catering to our every wish.

On Thanksgiving Day, Burga, who works off site, arrived at the resort and presented my wife with a bouquet of tropical flowers to commemorate our anniversary. We were moved beyond belief. I can’t thank her and her dedicated staff enough for everything they did for us!

In the end everyone decided they wanted to make Matachica a yearly event. I guess from now on we’ll be celebrating every anniversary in style

Room Tip: Beachfront casitas offer the best sunrise views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was one of the best resorts we have stayed at.
Pros:
Great casitas/rooms, staff is very friednly and helpful. Beautiful location perfect for relaxing, snorkeling, and scuba.
Cons:
The only thing we didn't like about the place is the location. It wasn't very possible to stay after 10:30 at the down town area of san Pedro. The only way to get back was a water taxi, which the last one leaves at 10:30 PM. There aren't any taxis that can drive that far, and it isn't safe or recommended to walk back, which would take over an hour to walk.

All-in-all we were here 3 nights which was perfect, I would suggest staying inland of Belize like San Ignacio to get the feel of the true Belize.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Matachica Beach Resort? Share your experiences!