“An Indescribable honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Matachica Beach Resort

You added Matachica Beach Resort to your Saves list
Matachica Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Beachfront | 5 Miles North of San Pedro, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Special Offer
Summer Special
Ranked #15 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
West Palm Beach, Florida
“An Indescribable honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

There are not words to describe how beautiful and wonderful Matachica is. My husband and I spent 7 days in Belize, with 4 of them at Matachica. We spent 2 nights in a sebreeze bungalow and on our last night the manager kindly offered to upgrade us to a deluxe beachfront casita. Both rooms were perfect in every way...however, if you plan on spending more than a few days days at Matachica and have the extra money, then I would definitely recommend the deluxe beachfront casita. There was quite a bit more room; a nice sitting area and the bathroom is huge with a nice built-in closet area. We took a day and went snorkeling with Charlie (one of Matachica's guides) at Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Definitely worth seeing. You can dine at Mambo (Matachica's restaurant) or take the water taxi into town and explore. My husband and I did both and I would recommend the same to anyone who visits. I wasn't that impressed with the town of San Pedro, however, it was still worth checking out. We actually ate breakfast a few times at a place called Estel's that we FELL IN LOVE WITH. Great food, good service and it wasn't expensive. I truly hope that someday we will be able to visit Matachica again.

Room Tip: I really don't think you will be dissapointed with anythig they have to offer.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Matachica for 6 days during our honeymoon and we couldn't have been happier! The entire staff was extremely friendly and accomodating. The food was top quality and we felt there was enough of a selection we didn't need to go anywhere else! The beaches were kept up nicely, as were the rooms. We felt so relaxed and at home we didn't want to leave! Definitely consider Matachica for your honeymoon!

Eagle Point
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I just went to Matachica for our anniversary and it was great. I think the staff was great!!! Israel and Ramon at the bar were very nice and gave us a lot of great tips on what to do. What I really liked was that you had bikes, kayaks, snorkeling gear and paddle boards to use right there at the beach! This is a place to go if you really want to relax. We rode bikes to town all the way down the beach. The food at Matachica was well worth the money for a cheaper option though you can go next door to the Rojo Lounge, and they too have great food and company. Overall loved Matachica!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pomegranite and I liked the location.
Stamford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Our stay at Matachica lasted only for three short nights. Everything from booking to arrival to staying to departure was efficient and seamless. Burga, the reservation coordinator, booked our flights from Belize City to San Pedro on our behalf. Upon arriving, one of the staff was there at the baggage claim ready to help us with our bags. We took off on a golf cart to the dock, where a boat was waiting to whisk us off to the resort. When we arrived, our bags were promptly taken to our room while we checked in and sipped our complimentary welcome drinks.

We stayed in a Sea Breeze Suite and found it to be spacious, clean and well air-conditioned. The units directly by the ocean seem to get A LOT more breeze though; it's surprising how quickly the wind fades as you head inland. The villa does not completely seal - the windows aren't really "windows" so much as wooden "blinds" that close. We did get a few mosquito bites in the room (as well as a few in the dining area), but it didn't spoil the mood at all. Matachica is also adults only, so you won't find any screaming children/babies on the grounds.

Besides simply lounging around on the beach, there's plenty to do at Matachica. The front desk helped us book a scuba excursion. On a rainy day we stayed in, watching DVDs borrowed from their library. The food at their restaurant was quite good, although one should definitely also try the pizza at Rojo Lounge next door. Matachica also had kayaks and paddle boats to borrow for free, although we ended up not using them.

The staff at Matachica is simply wonderful. They truly work as a team to make sure no detail is overlooked. Case in point: when we were leaving, a cleaning lady saw us stepping out with our bags. She told us to leave our bags there on the porch and radioed the main lodge to send porters. Talk about taking ownership of guest happiness!

All in all, Matachica was a perfect place to relax, unwind and enjoy some alone-time together. We highly recommend it to anyone looking for some R&R.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront room if possible. The breeze really is much stronger right by the water.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights for part of our honeymoon at the end of July. This place is incredible! We loved everything from the decor and music, to the excellent service. We were greeted by our names at every meal. Matachica made our flight reservations from BZE and even provided transport from the airport to the resort. Water taxi service was easy to use to and from San Pedro. The rooms and beaches were so clean. Free use of equipment (snorkel, kayak, stand up paddle board and bicycles). Relaxing lounge chairs on the beach, dock and pool. Snorkeling is a must as well as getting a Coconut Mojito and ceviche snack after! Every meal, wine and desert was deliscious! The rooms were always clean with turn down service, and air conditioning. I got a facial and massage which were excellent! We only left the resort once to visit San Pedro (not much there except shops, bars and restaurants--get Mannley's ice cream!). I am so happy we spluged on this place to make our honeymoon even more romantic.

Room Tip: Our room was second row in from the beach, which still had a nice view of the beach.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I can't say enough good things about this piece of paradise. I travel A LOT. I have stayed in beautiful hotels all over the world and Matachica is easily in the top 3. The excellent service starts from the moment you decide to book here. Burga, the reservations manager, is thorough and quick, answering many of your emails within an hour. Upon arrival, you are met at the airport by a member of one of the most pleasant staffs I have come across at any hotel. EVER. From there it just gets better and better.

The resort is impeccable, romantic, serene and simple. Every room is steps from the main house. The beach is lovely. Ignore the sea grass. Walk down the dock and jump in the water at the end. A swim is a swim is a swim, after all. Have an amazing breakfast/lunch/dinner at Mambo. Take out one of the kayaks or paddleboards. Lay by the gorgeous pool. Take advantage of the spa for one of the best massages you'll ever have. Hop aboard one of the complimentary boats heading into San Pedro town and make a day of it. Any or all of these things is a day at Matachica. You can't go wrong staying here. The only bad part about staying is that you're made so happy and find so much peace while you're here that you may never want to leave.

Now for the shout-outs. These are the people who mad our stay utterly incredible. Thank you to Adorable Andrea, Anita, Joel, Jonathan (and his tomales), Margaret, Abby, Noel and Ever (If you get to see this, Ms. Daniellee and Mr. Harcher miss you all dearly!) and the Manager at the front desk who helped so much and was so kind and patient, but whose name escapes me. He is fantastic! Without the staff, this resort could never reach the level of service and attentiveness that it does. Every hug I gave them as we left was as sincere as the one I received in return. Matachica is now OUR place. We can't wait to get back!

Room Tip: The Deluxe Beachfront Casita is the ONLY way to go. Pineapple
Sealy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My fiance wanted to do something very special for me for my birthday, so he took me to Matachica Resort. I am sooooo happy he did!!!!!!:) The reason our trip was so organized and perfect is because, Burga, the scheduling coordinator made it so easy. She took care of everything, from flights to room booking, information, anything we needed. She is the best and so efficient!!! The facility is kept extremely clean and well maintained. It is gorgeous, the rooms are great, the food is excellent, and the staff.....OM MY GOSH...where do I begin? The first guys we met were Charlie and Henry on the boat ride to the resort, they were excellent, so nice and polite and had a drink was waiting for us when we got there. Remundo gave us a tour and was so informative and helpful. Adam made us amazing drinks at the bar and was so funny and friendly and told us cool places to go eat and see. And you have to have a bloody mary of his, it is the best you will ever have!!! We had drinks, a lot of drinks that Jonathon served to us on the beach, Dennis, our server, was great...so happy, both of them...just so pleasant being around such happy people and WE WERE CALLED BY FIRST NAME BY EVERYONE THE WHOLE TIME!!!!!! That is impressive! Then we got massages by Louisa and Tiffany....WOW! Amazing, deep tissue is what we prefer and that is what we got! Now, the best part of the trip was by far the snorkeling trip that Charlie the guide took us on. He was AWESOME! HE took us to Hol Chan and then to Shark and Sting Ray Alley... I was terrified at first, but he was very reassuring and experienced that he made the trip incredible. If you stay here, that is definetly something you should do. The manager, Gricell is amazing... he takes care of his guests and is so nice and professional. We hated to leave, but we will be back for sure. The staff makes sure you are taken care of and will go out of their way to do it. I am so impressed with Matachica and I want everyone to experience it the way we did!!!! I am one of the managers at a dental office and customer service is key, this place has that under control:) ABSOLUTELY AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!!! Erin W & Andy K

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with the glass windows, it makes it much cooler. I think it is the north si...