“Still my favorite place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Coconut Drive, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Special Rate
6th Night Free
Ranked #13 of 56 hotels in San Pedro
“Still my favorite place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Belize and our fourth stay at the Victoria House. The service was as great as ever! From our sweet housekeeper (I wish I had asked her name), to Marlon (who is always smiling...even when it is raining and he is quickly moving cushions to a dry area), to the bar staff and servers (Tony, Justin, Gina, and Roxy, just to name a few), to the front desk folks, to Luis (who arranged a fun morning fishing trip for us with Roberto Bradley), to many others whose names have slipped my memory, once again we did not encounter an unfriendly face. From the moment Marlon picked us up until the moment we left, we felt right at home. The kind, welcoming, and helpful staff is one of the main reasons we continue to return.

Another main reason we continue to return is the FOOD! We love the lobster ceviche, so we were glad that this trip was during lobster season. We also enjoyed the lobster tacos, snapper tacos, lobster quesadillas, and the club sandwich (just to name a few) for lunch. We also enjoyed having dinner a couple of nights. Our meals were excellent, as always, and the wine selection is great for such a small island!

We enjoy staying in a casita, and over the years, we have decided that casita number 1 is our favorite. When we first stayed there in 2005, we thought the noise from the pool area and dining area would bother us, but it has never been a problem. We love its location and are pleased that we have been placed there several times.

We look forward to our trip to Belize next year (if not before!), which will hopefull include some time at this wonderful place in San Pedro! Thanks for another wonderful stay!

701 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I spent two weeks at the Victoria House for our honeymoon and had an amazing vacation. The resort itself is beautiful. We thoroughly enjoyed spending hours at the infinity pool and lounging on the plush, poolside furniture. Our suite, the Infinity Suite, was incredible; a two-story building with 2 balconies and a patio, full kitchen, dining room, two bathrooms, air-conditioning and a television upstairs. We loved our accommodations.

The food was amazing! We ate lobster everyday, fresh tacos, breakfast burritos, and other delicious entrees. It's a seafood lovers paradise.

Service was impeccable! I promised myself I'd remember everyone's name who made our stay special but there were so many that I regret I have forgotten some. Those I do remember off hand, Gina, Julio, Mr. Williams were fabulous - attentive, friendly and thorough. But gosh, there were so many other staff, both in the bar and the management that were great as well. I hate that I cannot give them the acknowledgment they desire.

There was only one staff member that I did not care for due to his poor attitude through out our stay and that was the younger gentleman who books the activities on the pier. He seemed to have a chip on his shoulder and his rapport with guests just was not up to par with the remainder of the staff.

About the packages, we booked the Reef Romance Package and boy was it worth the expense. After eating at several other restaurants in town, I am thoroughly convinced that VH has the best food on the island! In fact, we met many other couples staying at other resorts who came to VH to enjoy all their meals because the food was so fantastic. So again, I recommend the Reef Romance Package because your meals are included (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and you will never be unsatisfied. You can also take your meal anywhere on the property! That means at the pool, in your room, on the beach by candle light, it's completely up to you! Just let the staff know and they will oblige you graciously!

I loved riding bikes into town. It truly is a great way to get around and only a short ride puts you in the heart of downtown. No need to rent golf carts unless you despise riding bikes.

Some feedback for the resort, by Belizean standards I would rank VH at 5-stars, however, by most resort standards VH is 4-stars, here is why. There are no telephones in your room! So yes, you can have room service delivered right to your suite, BUT, you've got to wake up and walk all the way to the front the desk or restaurant (which can be a bit of distance depending on where on you are staying) and place your order, then walk back, and then they'll bring you your food. When we first arrived our TV did not work and so we had to walk to the front desk and ask for assistance. If you need more towels, have an emergency, etc. you always have to leave your room and walk to the front desk to let someone know. That is a bit unprofessional and I hope that the owners invest in bringing that aspect of their property up to industry standards. We need phones in rooms and phones in all other departments (housekeeping, room service, front desk, etc.)

Also, there is no nightly entertainment on premises, though they do play music in the bar if you request it and will allow you to plug in your own iPod for special requests.

There are no fitness facilities, no iPod docks in rooms, and many of the rooms do not have television. They also do not fog the property frequently enough. Bring lots and lots of bug repellent because you will be eaten alive, especially in October. I still have scares from some of the massive mosquito bites I received during our honeymoon, despite the fact that I did not scratch them. Mosquitos are a part of the territory, I get that, however, I have stayed at other luxury tropical resorts that fog their property daily to reduce guest discomfort and it makes for a much more enjoyable stay.

Tips:
1) BYOB - You can rack up a bill in the thousands purchasing beers poolside, or you can bike to the liquor store nearby and buy your own beer. No one ever gets rich spending all their money, I recommend the latter. Just be sure to drink it in a plastic container to respect hotel guidelines regarding no glasses by the pool.
2) Do the excursions! Go see the ruins, snorkel, lobster dive, and fish. You'll have a blast!
3) There is a place in town that serves a giant lobster burrito that is large enough to serve 2 for about $10 US. It is filled with huge chunks of lobster meat, garnished with lobster meat around the sides of the plate and topped with two fresh grilled lobster tails, heaven! Ask around for the name of the place and embark on a journey to find it. It's worth it.
4) Bug spray, bug spray, bug spray!
5) Get to know other guests! We made some amazing friends during our stay and had companions to travel with during the excursions. It was one of the best things about our experience at VH.

Go enjoy! We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We recently stayed at the Victoria House for a week with two other couples. We rented the 3 bedroom home just steps from the beach. The master bedroom was on the main floor along with the living, dining, and kitchen. Upstairs were two other bedrooms with baths. The upstairs rooms can be accessed through the main level or through a separate rear door (we never used). We spent many hours sitting on our large front porch for morning coffee and evening refreshments. The two upstairs rooms also share a large deck. The pictures are as posted on the website.

Previous reviews complained about the breakfast, but we enjoyed it. The fruit was fresh and the bread basket includes two items that you can select. Pastry, homemade muffin, homemade bread, jam and butter. We also added an egg cooked to order and I think they charged $1 for it so very reasonable.

We rented golf carts a few nights to go into town, used the complimentary bike's, and took long walks on the beach. We booked 4 dive trips through the activity center, a fishing trip, and a zip lining/waterfall repelling adventure in Belize.

The staff is extremely friendly and customer oriented. Whatever you need, just visit the front desk and they'll take care of any requests. I wouldn't think twice about returning!

Room Tip: Look at the resort map prior to making a reservation and it will provide all the information you nee...
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just returned from our 3rd trip to Ambergris, and our 2nd stay at the Victoria House. It was fabulous again, in every way. We will miss all of our friends (the staff, the management, Marlon, Jeremiah, Miguel and the rest, and all of our fellow traveling friends that we made). The only negative thing I can say about the VH is that they allowed it to rain for one of the days that we were there. See you next year.

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Victoria House Hotel is truly an amaazing resort experience. My husband and I have recently spent 7 nights in paradise where even the unusual, January tropical rainstorms couldn't dampen our spirits.
The staff and management go out of their way to ensure total guest comfort in a very welcoming environment. The property grounds are kept immaculate, the staff are curtious and very helpful. They seem to to know your needs before you do. My wife was not feeling well for a couple of days, and the staff kept dropping by to ensure she was getting better and keeping us supplied with remedies for a quick recovery. It is the personal, heart felt service like this that made the vacation time the best that it could be.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife and I recently returned from a wonderful time in Belize at the Victoria House. It was a first class operation. We were greated by VH personel as soon as we got off the plane. We were greeted and made to feel welcome by all the staff. We were given a welcome punch drink as we arrived..it was delicious. As we went to our "casita", everything about the casita and the resort was explained to us. The casita was great, to the left was an infinity pool, to the right was another deck and pool. In the center was a perfectly maintained yard with coconut palms, then a beautiful "CLEAN" white beach. Then of coarse the blue caribbean water. The beach was cleaned so well. It had padded lounges and my favorite, hammocks hung between palm trees. Speaking of hammocks the casita had one also. The casita was so comfortable and private. The food was the best on the island hands down. The whole honeymoon was a 5 star experience. Thank you Victoria House. We'll be
back.
Ro and Billie Jo

South
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Really wonderful place! Accommodating staff, but can be very slow table service. Great food, beautiful setting. Only real complaint was the shower - poor water pressure and little hot water. We will definitely return!!

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Victoria House? Share your experiences!