“Good Choice for the "Splurge" Portion of Your Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
6th Night Free
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Chicago, IL
“Good Choice for the "Splurge" Portion of Your Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I chose Victoria House somewhat randomly and am certainly glad I did. For starters, the grounds of the hotel are absolutely beautiful. The sand is white, the grass is perfectly manicured, the pools are beautiful, and there are several hammocks and lounge chairs available for guests who want to relax on the beach. I found the people at the front desk extremely nice, helpful and patient with all of my questions. When I attempted a bike ride into town I got into an accident and ended up scraping the skin on my shoulder and hand. Marlon came to my rescue pulling out the emergency peroxide, antibiotic cream and band-aids. On my departure morning I woke up with an upset stomach and one of the waiters (don't remember his name) offered to have fresh ginger tea prepared for me. Not only was it delicious, the ginger truly helped to settle my stomach before my 14-hour travel day.

Here are a few of my pointers: #1 The hotel is two miles south of the town of San Pedro. You can rent a golf cart hourly or daily, but I personally found it incredibly cheaper and less of a headache to simply take a $5US taxi. The hotel can call one for you and it will be there within 5-10 minutes; it's very easy to find a taxi in town. The hotel also loans out bicycles free of charge to guests until sunset. The sun gets very hot during the day and being on a bike can be the least fun thing to do when sweat is pouring down your face. #2 The hotel has a golf cart shuttle that can pick you up and drop you off at the municipal airport. Simply ask someone with Tropic Air to call Victoria House and let them know you have arrived. It took less than 10 minutes and is free, but if you're pressed for time you can certainly catch a taxi right there. #3 I stayed in a room further away from the common pool area. There were no paved walkways to my room and I HAD to walk in the sand when going back and forth. I didn't like to feel the gritty sand around my ankles after I had taken a shower and was heading into town. It's also tremendously annoying when you're wearing sneakers or any closed shoe. I was at the municipal airport leaving San Pedro when I had to take off my sneakers and dump out the sand that had collected in both my socks and shoes. #4 My room didn't have a phone and the novelty of having to walk through the sand to the front desk when all I had to do was ask a question or request ice from the kitchen wore off pretty quickly. #5 The hotel doesn't have spa facilities so any treatment you request will be done either in your room or somewhere on the property. When I signed up for the Tranquility Escape package (massage, facial and pedicure), I was given the option of having my massage and facial done on the beach or on the pier (you head back to your room for the pedicure). The concierge recommended doing it at 2:30pm on the pier when boats would be gone and it would be quiet. It was perfect timing because all of the boats left before I began my treatment and just as she finished was when a boat arrived. The only sounds I heard were spa music and water lapping beneath me. I passed a gentleman getting a massage on the middle of the beach with other guests walking all around him - not my idea of a relaxing time. #6 I passed a couple having a romantic candlelit dinner on the beach one evening so the hotel will certainly work with your requests. Just be aware that at times it can get extremely windy along the beachfront. #7 My room had a Sealy Posturepedic mattress and was so comfortable, I literally slept better at the hotel than I do with my current mattress. It's nice to know that the hotel didn't put the cheapest product in the room they could find. After all, when you're on vacation is when you need a comfortable bed and a good night's rest the most. #8 Most of the Trip Advisor complaints center around the food at Victoria House so I opted to go into town for my meals. Elvi's Kitchen is DELICIOUS and Mannelly's has really good homemade ice cream. #9 Someone mentioned it and it's worth repeating - San Pedro is NOT a town where you dress up. Flip-flops with a sundress or shorts and tank are perfect for every establishment you may visit. Some of the restaurants even have sand on the floor.

At the end of the day, whenever I return to San Pedro I will definitely stay at Victoria House. There's absolutely no need for me to even consider another hotel.

Room Tip: The Garden View room is a great cheap alternative
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at Victoria house for four nights in one of the casitas. It was so romantic, everyday they put fresh hibiscus flowers around the room and for our anniversary we even got a bottle of champagne! Pamilla is the best restaurant on the island. It's well worth the money. We ate off the resort for a couple meals and found the hotel has the best food.
There are two pools that are always clean and beautiful. There is a dock in grounds to make any snorkling or diving excursions which is very convienant. The beach is a little on the small side but still beautiful. The staff was always helpful and very nice, you can ride bikes for free all around the island which was also very fun. This is definitely the nicest hotel I've been to and can't wait to come back.

• Stayed May 2011
Lousiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

We adored Victoria House. We were waited on hand and foot, anything you want at your feet. The food and staff were fabulous. The resort is beautiful beyond words and very quiet. We loved the infinty pool area the most. And I must recommend snuba at Hol Chan/Shark Ray, it was beautiful there and so much fun. Loved Victoria House and feeling like I was a princess. Can not wait to return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

What a beautiful place to enjoy the second largest barrier reef in the worlld. Two couples rented the Casa Playa Blance for 5 nts. It has a kitchen, living room and a private pool. Clean, large and unobstructed view from our patio to the barrier reef.
We found the staff to be very helpful. Especially the guy on the warf, who made every trip to the reef memorable.
The restaurant was very good, but a bit pricey, though not totally out of line for the island.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

We admit it...we were spoiled by our previous stay at Ka'ana in western Belize prior to arriving here. The contrast in service levels was noteworthy. We asked the front desk to make a dinner reservation at a restaurant outside the resort. They said they would notify us if it was confirmed. They did not make the reservation or notify us. We booked a snorkeling trip. We were told we would receive confirmation...not only didn't we receive confirmation, but we when we confirmed ourselves, we received a positive answer only to find that the trip was cancelled after we rushed to get ready early in the morning due to lack of enough people.

We stayed in the older part of the resort, which was OK, but I think the newer part is quieter and nicer. There are no phones in the rooms, so communicating with others in our group and with the front desk required lots of walks. We had to cancel some business conference calls because it wasn't possible to call us in our room. Internet service is spotty (works OK 70% of the time, but grinds to a snails pace the remainder of the time) and some web sites appear to be blocked that we tried to use for Internet phone calls. Someone else in our group got a call through on Skype, but the service was so intermittent it had to be cut short.

The restaurant food quality was quite good...though the service staff was marginal...only one server was attentive and understood how to provide great service. We experienced much better service staff and equally good food at several other island restaurants, though the ambiance at the Victoria House restaurant is one of the best.

We would recommend this hotel since it doesn't appear that there is any better hotel on the island, but don't expect world class service.

Room Tip: Stay in new part of resort
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
BrentKirkman, General Manager at Victoria House, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Thank you for choosing Victoria House as one of your recent resort destinations in Belize. I’m pleased that you enjoyed yourself at the wonderful Ka’ana resort and regret that your expectations of Victoria House were not met and exceeded.

I spoke personally with a representative of the off-property restaurant referred to, and it seems a reservation was made for your party and then cancelled. I apologize for any confusion, and hope you’ll choose to sample their fine menu when you return to San Pedro. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

As is the case with many guide services, a minimum number of passengers (3 in this case) were required for the snorkel trip in question. Unfortunately, just two persons expressed an interest and since both the guide service and our activities staff were attempting find additional guests to satisfy these requirements, they were unable to actually confirm the activity until the morning of the trip. I apologize that this wasn’t made clear the previous day.

We do not have telephones in our rooms. This fact has been well received by the majority of our guests and many have commented that their absence actually helped them relax and enjoy their vacation with us. We are however very sensitive to the needs and expectations of our guests and if it's determined that this is indeed a desirable amenity, it will of course be provided.

I’ve reviewed the complimentary in-house WiFi systems usage records for the period of your stay per your observation that service was available just 70% of the time. I note that there were no internal network issues or interruptions of service. We will however continue to improve the quality of this and other amenities provided at Victoria House. We do experience occasional bandwidth issues and even interruptions of service, but these ISP issues are fortunately becoming more and more rare.

Your observation that certain sites are blocked is quite correct. Access to VoIP related sites and services is blocked, either totally or intermittently, by our national telecommunications and internet service provider.

I have shared your food and beverage service related observations with supervisors and staff. We have reviewed and discussed the importance of consistently providing the extraordinary service that Victoria House is know for, to every guest, and on every occasion.

Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive criticism with us.

Brent Kirkman GM
closter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

This place is great. Great location, great amenities, great staff/service, great food. I could go on and on..

Room Tip: Extend your stay as long as possible.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Everything was great, from A to Z. Most peaceful, relaxed, laid back place I have ever been.

Room Tip: The casitas are awesome
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Victoria House? Share your experiences!