“Sun, Fishing and Forget the Rest” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Pescador Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
El Pescador Resort
You added El Pescador Resort to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 17 | 2.6 miles north, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Sun, Fishing and Forget the Rest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I was met at the airport in San Pedro and never had to worry about another thing the rest of my stay. The boat ride from San Pedro to the resort was enjoyed with a cold beverage and I was immediately met on the dock and escorted to my room when I arrived. The resort and the water in every direction is beautiful but the people that look after your stay are the best. After arriving everything was looked after. My wallet never left the room until checkout which is a nice change from having to consider gratuities and sign checks back to the room. The staff knew my name from moments after meeting them and they were all terrific. The fishing is very well organized and each day the guides meet you in the morning with the boat already stocked with a cooler filled with your selections from the night before. The boats are clean with Adirondack chairs to relax in as you head out onto the flats. Each day a casting clinic is held in the afternoon and the instruction really helped my fishing experience. My trip was excellent and I will definitely be back in the near future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
South Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

You will truly feel like you are at a home away from home. My girlfriend and I had reservations about "fitting in" at what is a renowned fly fishing resort, seeing as we aren't avid anglers. Our conclusion upon our 7 night stay, is that regardless of whether you fish or not, this resort is truly FANTASTIC, as are its staff, which they refer to as "Family". From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, everyone refers to you by your name, which for most resorts we have stayed at, is rare.

Some POSITIVES for easy reading:

Beautiful villa accomodations overlooking the water ( full kitchen, good water pressure in shower, clean and spacious living area, great housekeeping, private hammock)

well manicured grounds

We wanted to kayak in the lagoon out back and to the reef offshore for exquisite snorkeling (great +++ to the resort). Kayak was left for us in quick fashion and with a jug of water for our trip.

Quick water taxi to town. Close enough town not to be a hike but far enough away to feel secluded. The owners even gave us a ride into town on their boat during Carnaval. Chris and the whole family were super nice.

We ate breakfast there every morning (great pancakes!) and really enjoyed sitting outside overlooking to ocean. We had one dinner there on our first night, which was included in our package. Everyone eats together. Very communal and fun but you can eat privately in your villa if you would like. We like to explore so we wound up eating in town every night after but for people looking to park it and not move, the food is fresh and well prepared. We ate lunches in town or on our excursions but they will happily prepare lunch for your trips if you choose to do so.

Great path to walk along the beach.

Playing soccer with the staff out back was great and they were so friendly, even during their "off" hours.

Being a fishing resort you would expect them to be pushy about fishing, seeing as that is a large part of what sustains the resort. However, they never once tried to coerce us to fish and respected the fact that spending $400 for a day fishing wasn't our thing. However, from what we were told by other guests, their prices are right in line with the norm for the type of fishing they do. If you want, you can fly fish off the dock for free or in the lagoon out back.

NEGATIVES

This isn't really a knock on El Pescador because all the resorts along the Caye are like this, but its not a beachy resort. So unless you're interested in frolicking in sea grass, its not the place to wade out in the water by shore. A lot of garbage gets washed ashore from neighboring countries and i would worry about stepping on a sharp bottle in cases, but el pescador tends to their shoreline better than nearly every place we walked past.

If you're in your 20's and 30's and looking to hang out with people your age, its mostly an older crowd. However, everyone we met was great.

Must Do Activities: Catamaran to Caye Caulker/ Ho Chan/Shark Ray Alley (we did twice with Searious Adventures and worth doing twice simply for the catmaran alone!). The break in the island at Caye Caulker is lively and a popular and fantastic spot to swim; Cave Tubing/ Belize Zoo; Snorkeling Mexico Rocks. El Pescador will organize it all!

Must Eats: Lazy Croc (great American BBQ on a croc lagoon, huge portions, cool vibe); Elvis Kitchen for Mayan Buffet on Friday; Mannely's ice cream for exquisite coconut ice cream with chocolate paletas (better than D and E's and cheaper); Wild Mangos (grat oceanfront lunch/dinner); Fido's (amazing wings! go on wing night for extra cheap); Blue Water Grill (great more chic atmosphere and try the poke); Waraguma (ate there twice; huge portions of ceviche/burritos and very cool local vibe; women making pupusas out front); Rojo Lounge (take a water taxi to the resort; great atmosphere good food); Yoga resort by the hotel (take a 15 minute walk from the hotel for a great breakfast, amazing syrup); try a hot dog with the works and some street food in the park.

Skip El Patio restaurant. Only pushy restuarant in which the waiters try to grab you into the restaurant in "Little Italy" fashion. We heard the owners dont care about the restaurant and it shows. No one was in there.

We are planning on coming back to El Pescador on a future trip, hopefully with others!

We can send pix if you're interested!

Room Tip: Splurge on the villa. Its worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

El Pescador exceeded our expectations. From the moment you arrive to the time you leave you feel you are part of their family. The entire staff, from the Fishing Director, Lori-Ann, Judy in the office and all the other staff, Including Captain Issa, who answered all my fly fishing questions and helped with my casting, makes you feel welcome and ensure your needs are met. The food is great and the atmosphere is relaxing.
My brother and I went there with the goal of catching bonefish on a fly rod. Our guide, Captain Cesar, worked extremely hard and was a great teacher. We not only caught numerous bonefish every day, but we each landed a tarpon. We are not expert fly fisherman but Captain Cesar was patient and shared his knowledge with us. Because of Captain Cesar, we came away better fly casters and fisherman. We also made new friend.
If you are looking for a great place to fish and relax this is the place. The staff go above and beyond to make your stay a great experience. I plan on taking my wife the next time I go as she will enjoy it too.

Room Tip: Just tell them what you want in a room and they will do their best to accommodate you.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

El Pescador Is the best. Service and friendliness are key to any vacation and this place has found the secret. Not just a fishing lodge but an all around resort. My wife and I did it all. Fishing, snorkeling, Mayan ruins, pool, beach, shark alley, etc. they cater to everyone. They are family run and every employee is their extended family. What an experience. What a place.
Did not want to leave. Thanks so much to Allie, Chris and Steve.

• Stayed February 2014
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

The fishing here is top notch. So are the guides. We hit the jackpot with Luis, our second generation guide at El Pescador. If seeing fish constituted a grand slam, we had one everyday. Luis had us into Tarpon, Permit, Bonefish and Snook. He was very attentive and pleasant to be with all day for 5 days in a row. A superb experience with a world class guide.

El Pescador needs to rethink the way they handle guests fly fishing equipment.

After fishing all day, guests are greeted at the dock by El Pescador Staff. They take your rods and reels from the boat and rinse them off for you. A wonderful service after a long day of fishing. Rigs are put on a rack or on the tables outside near the pool and are unsupervised as guests pick up whichever rod they wish and take them to their rooms.

My $1500 rod and reel were missing after the first day of fishing. When I reported my equipment missing I was told "it happens all the time". I was also told I was responsible for my equipment even though it was in the possession of El Pescador Staff when it went missing.

I was constantly reassured that it would turn up. The staff told me that they have had rods missing in the past where guests have taken someone else's equipment and didn't realize it until they were unpacking at home.

This seems to be an ongoing problem which put a HUGE damper on my El Pescador experience until the night before we left. My rod showed up after dinner just sitting by itself on the rod rack. Fishy?

Ladies visiting El Pescador,

I noticed most of the reviews written are from men visiting El Pescador. Here is some information I think will be helpful for the ladies visiting the resort.

Due to the fact that there were two of us visiting we thought a Villa would be overkill. We opted for a lodge room instead. We found the accommodations to be clean but very dated.

We were informed that the toilets do not accept toilet paper and we were to put used toilet paper in a tiny waste paper basket next to the toilet.

There wasn't a chest of drawers in our room. There were cubbies on the wall and a small space to hang clothing. We were tripping on our belongings because there was no place to store luggage. If I were to do this again, I would opt for a Villa.

Bring your own soap, shampoo and conditioner if you are particular about these things. There is a dispenser on the wall with a shampoo/conditioner combo and body wash. Also, bring a robe.

We enjoyed the little gecko's in our room as they are small and harmless. They were mostly in the shower and bathroom ceiling.

If you are staying in a lodge room, ask for an upstairs room. This way you won't hear the guests a above you walking around.

The beds were very comfortable and the staff were professional and friendly. The cook to order breakfasts were the best meal of the day and we enjoyed them every morning before fishing.

Room Tip: Get a Villa.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
ElPescadorBelize, Owner at El Pescador Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for the detailed critique of El Pescador. We agree with your comments about the size and age of our rooms in our main lodge in full measure. This is why we have scheduled a multi-million dollar renovation and expansion of the main lodge rooms for summer / fall 2014. All 14 rooms in the main lodge will be expanded and updated. Please re-visit us after the fall and we think you will be extremely pleased!

It is true that guests confuse their equipment “all the time." However it is not correct to say that we have lost a rod or reel through any theft or anything “fishy." The guests in all cases, including yours, figured out their mistake and swapped for the correct rod. As a result of your critique, we have adjusted our policy to continue to offer the service of rinsing rods for anglers after fishing; however, we now hand the rods directly back to the anglers instead of placing them in the rod rack to dry. We are hopeful that if you place your own rod on the rack you will remember where you placed it and then only take your personal rod.

Once again, thank you for your thoughts. We love constructive criticism as we are continually striving to improve and offer our guests a wonderful, lifetime experience!
Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

This was our 2nd visit to El Pescador. We came here to escape the subzero weather back in Pittsburgh. My wife and I love to salt water fly fish and Belize has great fishing. We were met at the San Pedro airport by a member of the El Pescador staff who took our bags and transferred us by boat a short 5 minutes to the lodge. There we were welcomed by the staff who took our bags to our villa. We like the villa because of the spacious living quarters. There is a separate bedroom, bath and a large kitchen/living area and outside deck with a great view of the ocean. Since we booked through Orvis because of the fishing, we had the inclusive package which included meals, and beer and rum drinks. We both purchased bottles of our favorite liquor in San Pedro to enjoy in villa. The meals are wonderful. The fishing services are great. I caught my first tarpon on the fly rod! When we weren't fishing we enjoyed walking along the beach or just relaxing at the villa. The staff at El Pescador is probably their best resource. They are all so very friendly and accommodating. My wife loves the two dogs Max and Nola who truly have a "dog's life" lounging around the grounds. We stayed a week and were sorry we had to leave.

Room Tip: We prefer the second story villas over the main guest rooms. Better view, more privacy and lots of r...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I just returned from staying here for four days and I am still thinking about how much fun I had. Like other reviews have mentioned, it's a true paradise for fly fishermen. They have a 400 sq mile fishery and due to the fact they are located on an island no matter the wind direction there is always somewhere the guides can take you for optimal fly fishing conditions. They've got a collection of the top 12 guides in the area, all of whom have years of experience fishing the area and many of whom are certified casting instructors. Whether you are a beginner and need more practice or a seasoned angler hunting a grand slam they can match you up with the perfect guide for your style.

Besides the fishing I was really surprised by the amenities and service at the property, the term "fishing lodge" probably does it a disservice. There are three pools, a bar, game room, fast wifi, lounge area with flat screen TV, and of course a first rate fly shop. All the rooms have AC, private bathrooms, and hot water showers. The restaurant was great too, each night they would offer you a mix of surf and turf so we had lobster, grouper, and crabs in addition to steak, chicken, and even baked potatoes.

The service was fantastic too, it was very evident how happy all the employees are working there - which says a lot. Many guides have been there 10+ years and they have a few father/son guides that span two generations. Judy at the front desk was always cheerful - and she's been there 16 years! I've been to many fishing lodges throughout Central America and this is arguably one of the most polished and professional I've ever visited. Great service from pre-arrival to the resort itself, free casting lessons every evening, great food, and nice amenities make this an angler's paradise.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with your family or wife and want extra space and amenities the villas are wort...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to El Pescador Resort? Share your experiences!