What a wonderfully simple, luxurious and relaxing vacation we had as a result of the amazing staff at El Pescador! Special thanks to Alli, Alfonso, Judy, Susanna, Adriano, Max--if you get the feel that we knew many of the folks, you're right. Not only do we know them, we quickly became like family. Everyone knew our first names and, after just one encounter, they knew our menu and bar habits! While we were lured here as a result of an Orvis-sponsored fishing expedition, there is much more than fishing to keep you occupied. Rent a golf cart and see San Pedro and the rest of the island; take the water taxi into town and walk back along the white sand beach; swim in the 2 salt water and one fresh water pools; use one of the bikes for excursions; use a kayak or canoe on the 4 foot deep lagoon behind the resort. Loads of excursions are available: Mayan ruins, snorkeling, jungle tours, diving the second largest reef in the world. Food was spectacular, to include appetizers before dinner which, barring heavy winds and the threat of rain, were alfresco. The bar was very competent, the owners were very engaging. Fly fishing, as a result of the winds, was spotty but the guide were brilliant and patient; our group caught bonefish, permit and tarpon, in spite of the winds and overcast skies, thanks in huge part to these seasoned guides. Boats were large and accomodating and the resort supplied the beverages and lunches needed to get through the day; there is a fishing expert on staff. Judy runs the front office with uncharacteristic military precision--she arranges tours and outtings and really anything you want. We stayed in the very nice rooms in the main lodge but by all means, spring for the villas if you can--they are massive and provide kitchenettes and much more living space with balconies that open to the beach. While there are books throughout the compound, bring LOTS of reading material--the place begs luxuriating hours and hours of decompression. This resort, this country, this staff gets our highest endorsement!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Pescador’s beachfront lodge and villas are situated on over 45 private acres with ambiance, specializing in fishing, diving and eco-adventures. We are family-owned and operated with emphasis on creating camaraderie and an authentic Belizean experience. El Pescador is proud of our philosophy to protect and nurture friendship, adventure and the environment. El Pescador has long been known as a world-class fishing destination offering outstanding flats fishing for bonefish, tarpon and permit. El Pescador has been the only resort on Ambergris Caye specializing in saltwater flats fishing since 1974. Since coming under new ownership in 1997, the resort has established itself as an eco-friendly tropical getaway, including a commitment to offset all carbon emissions generated by its guests flying to Belize. Donations are made on behalf of guests to a local Belizean non-profit organization, Green Reef Environmental Educational and Coastal Research Institute, to offset the carbon emissions used to travel to Belize. El Pescador was also among the key organizations to implement the new Law protecting bonefish, tarpon and permit as catch and release species. This is the most all encompassing legislation of its kind worldwide. It is great news for Belizeans, anglers, tourists and conservationists alike. El Pescador is a serene and gracious establishment on the doorstep of the world’s largest living Barrier Reef. El Pescador offers accommodations in guest rooms within its colonial style, mahogany main lodge, as well as in 1, 2, and 3 bedroom luxury beachfront villas. The villas are perfect accommodations for couples seeking romance and privacy, and for families and small groups traveling together. All rooms and villas are beachfront and have unobstructed views of the Caribbean blue waters. In addition to unequaled fishing, this first-rate resort offers all the eco-adventures which take full advantage of Belize’s exotic flora and fauna. Scuba diving, snorkeling, manatee watching, cave-tubing and zip-lining, and Maya archaeological explorations are just a small assortment of the activities available while staying at El Pescador. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your El Pescador Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Pescador Hotel San Pedro
- El Pescador San Pedro
- El Pescador Resort Belize/San Pedro