“I now know how the other half lives ...” 5 of 5 stars

Cayo Espanto Island, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #16 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Halifax, Canada
“I now know how the other half lives ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We decided what better time to write a review then while still enjoying everything that Cayo Espanto has to offer.  Short of what must be the norm for visiting Royalty, I cannot fathom anywhere that could offer this type of luxury and privacy. As I write on our last day here in paradise, our houseman Luis and Jose (our houseman in training), have just finished clearing breakfast, which was taken on the dock overlooking the water while listening to the soothing trickle of the infinity pool beside us. He is resetting the bungalow for "daytime", opening its three sides to the wonderful breeze, arranging our lounge chairs and opening our two 15 foot wide umbrellas to provide some shade from the morning sun. This has been our life for the last few days and I can honestly declare that Cayo Espanto has officially  ruined us for all future vacations.

Everything that you have read here of a positive nature is 100 percent accurate and then some. As for the negatives, I can only assume it is a case of "you can't please everyone all of the time." Although I really can't see how that might be possible here. I knew we were in store for something special when someone met us at Belize International Airport just to ensure we made our flight to San Pedro without difficulty. After a short seven minute boat trip we were greeted by all the staff waiting for us on the dock and we officially arrived in paradise.

From nightly romantic candle lit dinners on your dock, veranda or beach, to personalized drawings in the sand around your Casa, to the unbelievable service and the never ending gourmet meals, this resort has everything you can ask for and thinks of the things you would never imagine to.  The houseman are anything but obtrusive and quickly determine your particular needs, gauging their arrivals accordingly if not called on.

Not wanting to repeat everything already said in other reviews, a couple of items we can specifically comment on and highly recommend. The spa services here are the best we've ever experienced. Take advantage of a relaxing massage on your deck and a facial while you're here. Even the "Men's Facial" was a unexpected treat. We also took a snorkeling trip and, as avid divers, weren't expecting much. Were we in for a shock. German, the dive master here,  understands the reefs here better than most and we saw more in the way of marine life during our private tour than at any reef we've visited before. In between stops, he had us jump into the shallow waters at some old finishing grounds of his (now protected) where we spent half an hour swimming with eagle rays, nurse sharks, and loggerhead and green turtles. Expecting you were there to feed them or something, they continuously came close to say hi. It was one of the most enjoyable times I've ever had in the water and my only regret was that I left my dive camera at home.

Some might suggest I'm too easy to please but we had serious reservations about the costs associated with staying here. At Cayo Espanto, you get what you pay for, and then some, and we will most definitely be returning. Our short four night stay here  was to close out a two week long Honey/Baby Moon and Cayo Espanto turned our trip into an incredible memory that will not soon be forgotten.

Room Tip: Casa Solana - While I imagine there is no bad room on the island, we stayed in Casa Ventanas for the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Clarksville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I really have a hard time meditating, but this place was so much like heaven prayer and meditation came naturally.
We took a helicopter ride to the blue hole on our way to the resort. It was a bit pricy, but was worth it.
Service was great, and the location was awesome.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I can't believe places like this even exist! What an amazing trip. My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary here and it couldn't have been more spectacular. I've never been pampered more or fed better in my life.

We stayed in Casa Solara and Olita over a 4 night period. Both rooms were incredibly beautiful, but Olita had a few more perks that made it even more special (bigger and better shower/bathroom, bigger living space, and private dock).

The food and drinks here are so delicious. I don't think there's a meal that I thought was anything less than spectacular, and you eat often at Cayo. I loved having breakfast outside in front of the water, always beginning with a plate of fresh fruit and hot coffee. The fish tacos we had during lunch were so tasty, and the 4 course dinners were some of the best dinners I've had in my life. Exquisite.

Our houseman, Luis and Ricky, were wonderful. They made our stay literally more than I could have dreamed and I was so sad to leave!

The excursions and the simplicity in which they are booked were also fantastic. My husband and I snorkeled and dove together one day, and then on another he did an all day 3-tank dive to the Blue Hole. Both experiences were great and Eric and German were excellent guides on the excursion.

Really, this place is a dream. I can't wait to return (with bug spray) : )

Room Tip: We loved Casa Olita
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Romance is the cornerstone of this exclusive 4-acre island resort. As experts in catering to high-profile clients the team at Cayo Espanto work tirelessly to create a custom experience for all their guests.

With only six villas, and no more than 16 guests permitted on the island at one time, a private and intimate escape with your loved one is guaranteed. Upon arriving at our two-storey open-air waterfront villa with personal plunge pool and 180-degree view of the Caribbean, we were treated to the first of many personalized gourmet meals served by our Houseman Eddie.

The thought that a need or want might go unmet in this island paradise is unfathomable. Each morning we awoke to a three-course breakfast on the veranda, and for the remainder of the day freshly prepared snacks and beverages magically appeared at our villa. Prior to dinner Chef Richard would visit to review the evening’s menu, which we then devoured al fresco under a blanket of stars and flickering lanterns.

A deserted beach picnic, bird watching or private snorkelling tour can be arranged prior to your arrival, or as an impromptu excursion during your stay; however our favourite activity was the spa. No need to travel far for your pampering, as Ms. Brenda, the island’s masseuse and aesthetician, will bring her treatment table and homemade lotions, scrubs and massage oils to your villa.

Cayo Espanto’s Babymoon package was the perfect farewell to our former life. We now are the proud parents of a 7 month old little girl and our travel needs have temporarily changed.... however we will return to this little slice of heaven.

For pics and more details about our trip check out www.arrivalstravel.com

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

The most amazing vacation for relaxation and service that goes above and beyond , we stayed in casa ventanas on the water and wow it was amazing the service was the best we have ever experienced anywhere in the world, food was outstanding in every way , the staff and facility's are world class and this place is definitely a must stay if there's anywhere you must go this is it.

• Stayed October 2012
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is an amazing place for a vacation. If you want rest and relaxation this is the best place I can think of to spend your time. You will be pampered and waited on and their is no request to small or insignifcant for the staff to fulfill. We went kayacking, snorkeling, fishing and had in room massages. This is truly a great vacation and we will return. Everything is provided except sun screen so that is all you really need to pack along with some beach clothes. You can actually stay in the robe that is provided if that is what you want. They have an IPAD in every room that you can use and wi-fi if you need to keep in touch (we work so we need access to the internet). The food is wonderful and they cooked the fish we caught and served it to us for lunch. It was delicious. Is it costly - you get what you pay for. We will return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Casa Brisas and we loved the room but you cannot pick a bad room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Inver Grove Heights, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was our second time staying at Cayo Espanto. This time we had our 20-month old son and 6-year old daughter with. We stayed in Casa Aurora, which had a fantastic layout for our family. The kids had their own bedroom off the living area, which helped create space, and the pool was huge! We were so impressed with how willing the staff was to help with our kids. We really enjoyed the private beach movie theater the staff set up for us to watch while eating our dinner (the kids picked the little mermaid!). Guest services even took care of our children while we had a much needed couples massage! The food, atmosphere and staff are out of this world! We couldn't have asked for a better vacation, and can't wait to come back. Thank you Eddie, Edwardo, Erika, Ester, Chef Richard and Felix for making our vacation truly magical!

Room Tip: Casa Aurora, a two-bed, two-bath villa, has the largest pool on the island! Great for a family of 4.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cayo Espanto? Share your experiences!