“Very Nice!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Captain Morgan's Retreat

You added Captain Morgan's Retreat to your Saves list
Captain Morgan's Retreat
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   3 1/2 Miles from San Pedro Town, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #39 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Denver
“Very Nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We spent a week at the resort, and it had everything you could ask for! They were very very accommodating and helped with the tours and water taxis. Our room was great! No problems and our maid was truly wonderful. The location is great, when you can sit on the 3rd floor balcony and look at the reef and the pool, who could ask for more. The food was very good, but sometimes the wait was a little long. They're building a few new buildings and I have to say, they're all gorgeous!!!! Thank you Captain Morgans, we will be back! We didn't try the spa, but we heard it was amazing..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Morganton, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We won our neighbor's time share to the Capt. Morgan in a silent auction. We had a wonderful experience in Belize. Everyone at the Capt. Morgan was extremely helpful and friendly. Among the staff who went over and above to make our trip wonderful were Oskar, our bartender for the week, Kristian Guerrero, sales rep for Capt.Morgan. Kristian gave us numerous suggestions for restaurants and shops in town, called water taxis for us and made a restaurant reservation down the water for us. He never attempted to sell or discuss purchasing a time share. Danny was a bartender and an aspiring chef. He provided a poolside ceviche demonstration for us that included techniques, sampling and a copy of his ingredients. Security patrols the grounds throughout the day and night. The ground staff is continually raking the sand to clear palm tree debris. Even the resident iguanas were fun and non threatening. Capt. Morgan's provided a welcome drink and get together for all who stayed there. We were also invited to an owner's reception since the owners of our condo were our friends. Many of the people that we met were returnees. Most of the visitors were there for fishing and various kinds of diving. The resort provided guided trips for these activities. The primary ways to get around are water taxi, golf cart or bike. We chose water taxi and became experts at it in a few days. The water taxis go frequently during the day. They can be quite expensive for a weekly pass for 2. So, find out when the Capt. Morgan taxi is going in and go free or plan how many times a week you think you might go to town and pay as you go. This was the cheapest way for us. We were not able to manage the golf cart or bike. The resort provides a full service restaurant that provides take out service also. Breakfasts were good and the pork chop was great the last night. There is also food take out at the poolside bars. There is a pool for each section of the resort. There are many palm trees on the property that can provide good shade. There are wicker couches, swings, hammocks, and tiki covered platforms for resting and just enjoying the water and the vegging. On Tuesday nights, the resort offers a Belizean night with local food and vendors selling local items. Beware of the people on the beach selling items during other times in the week. Their prices can be quite high and they do not bargain well. When you go to town, be sure to try Manelly's Ice Cream. Manuel is a local man who sells fabulous ice cream. Several of his creations come from old family recipes and are like nothing here in the US. I would recommend that visitors bring a small portable light for reading or needlework at night. The lighting was fine for television, but I needed more. Belize is an easy country to visit as the primary language is English and we had no trouble speaking with anyone. The money is also easy to work with as the rate is 2 Belize dollars to 1 US dollar. The resort takes US or Belize money and the major credit cards. There is a casino on the property, but it is small and primarily slot machines and electronic poker. It was fine for us, but don't look for Vegas style. We were offered free drinks while we were in the casino. Be sure to call the desk to order the 5 gallon water container. You will want and need to drink a lot of water. It is best to drink the bottled water. Before I forget the bartenders Oskar and Danny make the best Margaritas on the planet.

Chincoteague Island, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Our 1st trip to San Pedro was 1989. We have been returning 1-2 times per year for 7 years now. And we stay Captain Morgans Vacation Retreat, and only there. There is no way that any of the staff ... Bars, restaurant, office, cleaning staff, casino, mgmt .... Could be more helpful, pleasant, supportive, and polite. If anyone complains about a single item at "Morgans", they are either an avid complaint artist or a competitor pretending to be a visitor. Each time we have brought guests, they marvel at the courtesy & support. The rooms are beautiful, view is staggering, and willingness to please by all staff members is great. Every time we depart we are anxious to schedule another visit. And .... local fly-fishing is a great magnet for some of us. If you visit Capt Morgans, you will want to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Elbert, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I will rate the hotel and bar staff separately since there is such a difference between the casino staff and other staff. I am still at the resort I check out tomorrow May 18th. I found the casino staff to be extremely rude and indifferent, no one smiled, no one greeted you as a guest and it was apparent to me they would rather be home playing video games than at work. When we finally got the attention of the waitress and ordered our first drinks she just slammed them down, no smile, no good luck, no thank you, I can only shake my head at her rudeness.
I play slots my husband is the card player and she kept his drinks rolling without any issues, I had to hunt her down for a refill two hours later, then was rudely told I had to be a player, I was at a machine and the wheel was spinning, apparently she was not satisfied with this and told me only one drink every 15 minutes.....it had been two hours since my last drink, yet my husband, whom I walked in with was on his fourth or fifth drink.... SO.... If your a middle-aged guy you will get great service, if your WITH middle aged guy expect a fight from the casino bar staff and don't ask for anything more than water! Needless to say, this ticked my husband off and he clamped down the wallet and we left. Too bad for them since my husband IS a big spender!
After reading the other reviews its apparent the staff needs some serious customer service training, and a comment back from the management saying "thank you for the feedback, problem looked into....hope you will stop by and see improvements" will fall on deaf ears, I am HERE right now.....make your improvements today and I will let you know tonight if they are sticking, though I have serious doubts! I will not stay here's again.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I are in our early 50's. We live in Chicago, we travel alot and we enjoy finding really good little restaurants. We just stayed a week at Captain Morgan's during the end of March. Now, I have been all over Mexico and to nearly every island in the Caribbean, and this was both of our favorite trip to date. It is also the first place that we've traveled to where we've looked at each other and said, "We need to go back!"

First, the island is fantastic, the food is excellent, and the snorkeling superb. It is just inside the Yucatan barrier reef and you can see the waves breaking on it pretty much all of the time. So as far as location goes, it just doesn't get any better. The resort is down the road from the main town, still easily accessible, but far enough away that it feels secluded. The people on the island are just amazing!

As far as the resort goes, I found it beautiful and so relaxing. It's very charming, and I loved the thatch roofs. It's not the grandeur you get in Cabo or Cancun, but that isn't the theme they are running with. The white sand beaches are kept pristine, all 3 pools were lovely, the buildings/rooms were spotless, and it's all nestled amongst dozens of palm-trees. We met group after group that were completely happy with their stay and accommodations. Some were owners and others were staying there as hotel guest. Many had been coming back to this same resort for 10 years or more, and they all absolutely loved it, and had nothing but good things to say about it.

The resort has it's own boats, and makes daily trips to the reef and other places. Normally, I prefer finding my own excursions in town, but after comparing rates/prices and value, we found that they were only $5.00 more, and we left directly from their dock so no transportation or water taxi was necessary. Captain Chuck was fun, friendly and knowledgeable, and we really enjoyed our snorkeling trips with him.

Food- The resort food is just okay, and a bit pricey. However, the food on the island is amazing! Our favorites were the snapper and the conch. A five minute walk up the beach towards town will take you to the Capricorn- probably some of the best food on the island. A short water taxi ride (or 20 min beach walk) is Aji Tapas- absolutely fantastic! It's set in this amazing garden over-looking the ocean. Lily's Treasure Chest was excellent, and right on the beach. Elvi's kitchen was really good too. For good food and music, we also enjoyed Fido's. Palapa was a fun little place set at the end of the dock and kind of high up- a bit rowdy and alot of fun :). Also, in the evening, the street food is inexpensive and fantastic! 2 streets up from the beach there is a place that has butterfly decorations and their grill is set up street side. They make these little pockets with red snapper in them- amazing! Then, along the main square in town they set up grills and you can get tacos or burritos that are about the best we'd ever had, as well as burgers and other taste treats- also really good.

*Note Captain Morgan's has boats leaving from the Fido's dock to go back to their casino though out the evening, and if they aren't full you can usually hitch a ride back from town with them.

We read a few of the negative reviews before going- seriously, some people shouldn't travel! It's just so beautiful there, and the employees were beyond friendly and helpful. We kept leaving money on the counter for the maid- she wouldn't even take it until the last day when it was put into an envelope marked, "maid" None of our belongings were ever disturbed, and the room was left perfect. Looking forward to going back!

Kate and Keith

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The staff at this resort is its best part. They were so helpful and friendly. I never saw anyone who did not have a smile on their faces. It is one of the older properties on the island but more unique than the rest. Bed was very comfortable and the maid did a great job. Joel the bartender loves his job and was great. On the last day he made us margaritas with cockroaches on them (limes) - see picture. It reminded me of UCSC's mascot - a banana slug. Went on the trip to Lumanai - really wonderful and not to be missed. Again, the tour guides were amazing.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had a very nice stay at Captain Morgan's...but just be aware that the hotel is pretty far from town and the road is nearly impassable by golf cart. Take the water taxi. We met some great people at the resort and the staff (bar staff) were a lot of fun. We love you Marcel!!!!

We started off in a small one bedroom which was decent, but moved to the condos which was really nice....exceptionally actually.

You can rent a golf cart to go into town to buy grocery's, but take the water taxi for everything else. The staff will occasionally give you a ride by boat into town and I do mean occasionally....but don't count on it....I think they took us once in 10 days and they were not very nice about it.

You will be pleasantly surprised by how good the food is at the on site restuarnt...we never had a bad meal.

So if you are looking for some seclusion this is the place but if you want night life near by....stay in town

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Captain Morgan's Retreat? Share your experiences!