“Best Birthday Bash Ever” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Captain Morgan's Retreat

You added Captain Morgan's Retreat to your Saves list
Captain Morgan's Retreat
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   3 1/2 Miles from San Pedro Town, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #39 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Oakland, California, United States
“Best Birthday Bash Ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I recently travelled to Belize with 5 friends to celebrate my 30th birthday. We had the time of our lives! This review is for the 3 bedroom condo booked with condo owner Tim Vils. First I want to review Tim's service. He was extremely helpful during the planning process. He has a wealth of knowledge and was very accomodating with all of my requests. All questions and inquiries were answered promptly and thoroughly. Even during our stay, any issues we mentioned were handled promptly on Tim's end.
Second is a review for the condo...it's beautiful. The pictures are very accurate. The condo is very clean and spacious with beautiful views of the pool and beach (from the master suite) and views of the lagoon from the junior suite. The condo has great amenities and updated appliances. We found ourselves very comfortably navigating through the kitchen. The space is beautifully decorated with lots of gorgeous hardwood throughout. Even with construction going on nearby the condo was quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: Book with Tim, the 3 bedroom condo is fabulous!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have been here two times now. Both times were excellent. The accommodations are beautiful, clean and quite nice. I stayed with owners of a time share. It is not exactly my cup of tea, I prefer hostels sometimes just for the variety of guests.. This place is mostly older couples, some families as well. The restaurant prices are high, but the food is good. The staff is excellent, very helpful and speak English. The kayaks are free, as are the bicycles. They offer many good snorkeling and fishing trips albeit a little pricey, but the guides are very good and the reef is AWESOME!!
We go for the snorkeling and diving on the reef. Great place and I would recommend it to a friend, if they could afford it!!

Room Tip: This is dependent on if you are a time share owner or renting a room. THe single rooms are in thatch...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We have been coming to Captain Morgan's for 14 years now and it has become a second home for us. The staff is always helpful and friendly, You make friends easily and if you are a timeshare owner you look forward to seeing your old friends. Small compared to most timeshare places (which we like), laid back, casual, and away from town if that is what you are looking for. Grocery store on site if you run out of milk or rum! Bikes, kayaks, golf carts and all sorts of trips available. I have seen many weddings there as well......

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Spent 7 days for the first time at Captain Morgans and found it be a excellent place to stay. I have travel to numerous countries and this is one of the best. You have to remember to you are not in Kansas anymore. The employee's are very friendly and they always helped out. The other nice thing is the owner is on property and deals with issues should they arise. The food is expensive but all resorts are. I would recommend this resort to everyone

Room Tip: any room is a good room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Vashon, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is a long overdue review of Capt Morgan's Retreat- where we stay every year for 2 weeks. If you're looking for a resort that is NOT a concrete monument to Cancun-style- This is it! Capt Morgan's Retreat has traditional, thatch-roofed casitas on the beach, plus luxurious Studio, 1-bedroom+ units that look the look with tropical facades, but have tile floors, ceramic sinks etc. You'd never know they're concrete as a sub-structure but again, they've built these to last.
Capt Morgan's has been in business for many (25+?) years and have built this resort thoughtfully and carefully over the years. I'll mention the staff first. Their staff is dedicated, and they surely treat them very well, because the same staff remains year after year. Even though I traveled here alone this time, I received the same wonderful consideration from all. Not that I expect special treatment- far from it. Let me clarify: being a "table for 1" is not always a good thing at some places. Not here! They're terrific- and the staff is enthusiastic to young, old and families alike.
They have a Belizean Culture Night on Tuesday with a massive buffet with all things Belizean. Well worth it, with music and also, local artists selling their art. This is a good time to mention that the owners have always supported the local artists by furnishing all of their units with Belizean art. Their beautiful units are practically art galleries to Belizean style. (Capt Morgan's also donates Generously to local needs- not something they talk about. I just know from reading the local papers etc.)
Ecologically, I love the way Capt Morgan's keeps planting more and more palm trees on their property. It's an oasis! Palm trees, after all, are what you expect to experience in a tropical retreat. They have placed hammocks, lounge chairs, sofas, and thatch-roofed units all over the property for your napping and reading pleasure. Their 3 swimming pools - 2 of which have swim-up bars- are never more than a few steps from where ever you've decided to hang out.
Their Buena Vista restaurant has something for everyone. I love the local lobster in season through Feb 14, the fry jacks in the morning with fresh fruit, and the Thursday night Mexican night's wide menu. Jumbo burritos which I can only eat half of.
The Activities Desk will fix you up with any kind of tour you're looking for- local or inland Belize. snorkeling, Mayan ruins, zip lining, cave tubing (Cave tubing! the Best Belizean activity!). Fishing trips to the reef or beyond, and of course, they'll cook up your catch.
Capt Morgan's has a Spa literally over the water open to the breezes off the reef and under the watchful eyes of the pelicans. Love it. If you're into Casinos, they have one on the premises.
The housekeepers can't be forgotten either. a wonderful group of hard-working, behind the scees professionals!
Finally, Capt Morgan's has a Convenience Store on premises and it IS convenient. This year they have a new buyer and I have seen the inventory and selection WAY better. Sure it's not going to be Wal-Mart prices. Get over it. You're on vacation. I'm just thankful that Capt Morgan's Retreat has anticipated every need I might have so that I can TRULY relax when I'm on vacation. Thank you!
PS My personal vacation motto: Stay Up Late and Get Up Early! I bicycle on the beach EVERY morning to watch the sunrise over the sea- a great way to start the day. When my i-phone trills my wake-up call, I can't wait to get up and out!
BTW, re: photos. You can see lots of photos at their website: www.belizevacation.com. I couldn't decide which ones to post- so many photo ops.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in town but heard about this place, so we rode our bikes to this resort. We ate lunch at the main restaurant. I got the Conch cerviche which was nothing more than pico de gallo salsa with a couple of chunks of Conch. it was way over priced & the portion was extremely small. When we got the bill the bar tab was not on it. The waiter said we needed to pay this bill at the bar very inconvenient. I enquirer about the Casino but they said it was not open until 6 pm? I guess they don't want to make money. Imagine Vegas opening at 6pm! I won't be back!

• Stayed January 2013
Independence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have been owners with Captain Morgan’s since 2002, so some of you may find this review a little biased. However, I can honestly say that of all the other resorts we have stayed in over our vacationing years, Captain Morgan’s is our favorite and the one we long to return too!
Here’s why- over 1500 feet of manicured white sand beach, full service spa, guide/tour shop, restaurant, poolside bar, casino, laundromat, 3 swimming pools and the barrier reef is only ¼ mile from the resort. A typical weeks stay will find the resort hosting for you a “Meet & Greet”, Belizian Culture Night and Feast”, Wine Tasting/Resort tour, and “Farewell Party”. The resort is a few miles north of town so is a quiet, peaceful oasis with plenty of poolside seating, 2 swim up bars to while away the day, palm tree shade and shoreline to carve out your own little space. Other resorts amenities are all along the island can be enjoyed with a short walk up and down the beach.
The resort is family owned, thus not part of a chain. The owners live on site and love to mingle with the owners and guests. The staff is competent ,courteous, speak English and fairly stable. We once had a 3 year span between visits and were surprised at the number of familiar faces upon our return and they even remembered us! The rooms are cleaned and bed linens changed daily.
The resort offers 1 bedroom casitas and 1 & 2 bedroom villas for rentals. Vacation Beach Club owners can stay in 1,2,3 bedroom or Penthouse Suites. These offer large bedroom, living/dining areas and fully equipped kitchens. Luxury condos are also available to own. No other resorts offers such a complete rental, ownership,amenity package onsite!
San Pedro is only a short boat ride away and is a quaint, colorful little town to shop, explore, eat, and party! A water taxi route runs regularly, motorized taxi is available to hire or if you are feeling adventurous- rent a golf cart and explore the island at your leisure. The island has a laid back Caribe vibe and you will find no chain restaurants or hotels on the island. English is spoken everywhere and the dollar is accepted as currency. 2 Belize dollars= 1 US dollar
No resort is perfect and Captain Morgan’s has its flaws. The most common complaint is the seaweed and muck in the water along the beach. Belize gov’t prohibits resorts from dredging the shoreline to create the nice wade-in beaches other countries offer. The reef also stops the beach cleaning surf action, creating calm waters, but hey- didn’t I mention 3 swimming pools and you can swim off the dock. Captain Morgans also caters to its owners, saving the nicest rooms for its owners , thus renters and exchangers end up in some of the less desirable rooms. Some unfavorable reviews can be found online for this reason. Exploring trips to the mainland tend to be a little on the expensive side because of the price of gas. Until just a few years ago Belize was still undiscovered and third world so the “backside” of the island and the mainland can unsettle you with its starkness to your accepted way of life.
“Ya betta Belize-it”, we love this resort and Ambergris Caye, Belize!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Captain Morgan's Retreat? Share your experiences!