“Not a great restaurant...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Captain Morgan's Retreat

You added Captain Morgan's Retreat to your Saves list
Captain Morgan's Retreat
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   3 1/2 Miles from San Pedro Town, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #37 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Los Angeles, California
“Not a great restaurant...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed a little south of Captain Morgan's at Cocotal Inn in October--sorry a little late on the review. We were there the last week of low season so many restaurants north of town had not yet reopened. We had dinner at Captain Morgan's our first night on the island and it was very underwhelming. With so many great restaurants and fresh food all over the island, I'd recommend skipping this one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Columbus, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This resort has pro's & cons to it:

Pro:
It has it's own boat that goes into town (b/c of people visiting the casino)
Con:
boat schedule is up in the air - you have to get on island time to become at peace with this concept - LOL

Pro:
Has it's own mini grocery store
Con:
super over priced! the store clerk would not accept torn US $20 bills...weird!

PRO: Nice pools with swim up bars! Nice bartenders - look for Marcel - especially to watch ESPN NFL! :)

CON: There are sand fleas EVERYWHERE - deet/cintronella bracelets do not work for me...i got eaten alive and couldn't sleep b/c i felt itchy all the time! ....finally i took zirtec and that helped me fall asleep!

CON: my luggage didn't arrive and other than one of the front desk people - Kayla - they are pretty much not very helpful...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Flanders, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Its a great location, i liked the idea of 3 pools. However, my friend's suitcase never made it to San Pedro, and Captain Morgan's customer service/front desk were hesitant in assisting us. Instead, we had to do the leg work and use up international calls on the iphone to figure out where the bag had ended up. Whenever we had a question in regards to an excursion, if it wasnt already booked with Captain Morgans, then we would not get a straight answer. Overall, the customer service was not great. The facility itself was nice and location was great.

The food was over priced for the amount given. When you can walk 50 yards in either direction and get more bang for your buck.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I promised the owners Ernie and Karen that I would write a review about their Great slice of Paradise. I was there April with a friend that has been going there for years. I can't tell you which unit to stay in because I want to stay in it this year. I've been to a lot of great island places in the world on Maui, Bali, Thailand, Costa Rica, Santorini, Cuba, etc and this I recommend too. They even have a small Casino on property! You can take water taxi to the town of San Pedro and my favorite bar on the water "The Palapa Bar ". Living the Dream ...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Belize for our honeymoon in March 2012. We decided to stay at Captain Morgan's Retreat due to a recommendation from a local. We purchased a package that included breakfast with our stay in one of the casitas.

There are some positives to Captain Morgan's Retreat - They have one of the best beach spots on the island with lots of places to lounge, beautiful palm trees, pools, etc. Luckily, CMR was within walking distance of many other restaurants (which as you'll read below was great because after dining there once, we decided to never eat at CMR again, and so we were able to walk to many other delicious meals). There were lots of couples and families that we met who have time shares at CMR that were constantly raving about the hotel... but their experiences must have been far different from ours.

There are far more negatives about this place. So many that I would highly recommend for those looking for a place to stay on Ambergris Caye to avoid this place.

The food - Not only was the food not authentic Belizean cuisine, it was also not very flavorful. We ate an overpriced dinner there the first night we arrived and vowed to never dine there again. As I said before, we paid for a package that had breakfast included with our stay. With the included meal you could have one cup of coffee or one glass of orange juice. If you asked for a refill, then you were charged extra. There was often not enough silverware at our table and my husband would ask for cream and sugar for his coffee and it would never come. The dining service was subpar.

Our room - We stayed in one of the casitas that is right on the beach. I have never before felt as dirty in a room as I did in that casita. It was questionable whether the linens were clean and so I slept on top of the sheets, not under them. The bed was positioned right under an air conditioning unit and so you couldn't leave the A/C on without it blowing on you all night. There was a patched hole in the wall, however CMR didn't care enough to spend the time or money to repaint over where they had done the patch work. Our towels were never changed while we were there. We had to rent our pool towels, and were told that if we lost them then we would be charged. The pool towels were old and stained.

The overall feel of the resort - Too Americanized. If you're looking for an authentic Belizean experience, this is definitely not the place to go. During the day, the music being blared from the poolside bars was the Top 40 hits from the US on constant repeat. The "resort" flies American and Canadian flags there... so I guess that is the ambiance they are going for.

The service - Atrocious. There were two men who obviously were the owners/operators of Captain Morgan's Retreat. It was obvious that they were only interested in talking to those guests who had time shares or were interested in purchasing time shares, because they never approached us to say hello, ask us about our stay, congratulate us on getting married, etc. They just walked around smoking cigarettes and "shmoozing" those guests who seemed willing to spend their money at CMR. It was such a turn off.

Long story short, I would not recommend this place to anyone that I know and advise you to stay away. There are many other resorts on Ambergris Caye that were far more appealing, authentic, service oriented, etc.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Food was delish at restaurant! Huge portions given. We had the entire restaurant to ourselves! The waiter was friendly and we had a good time soaking up the sunshine! Price points a bit steeper than other spots in San Pedro, but all in all a lovely resort! The resort is way out of the way and this makes it for a lovely spot!

Room Tip: Did not see resort, was on vacation and did not want a tour.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Have been staying in a different hotel in San Pedro but attended New Years party at Captain Morgans which was a lot of fun. I'm traveling with a friend and we needed to return to our hotel which is only reachable by boat after midnight. Because of a schediling mixup with the water taxis we found ourselves stranded. The manager that night at Captain Morgans immediately arranged for one of his boats to bring us back to our hotel. What a nice, considerate thing to do! And he is obviously a great role model for the staff who were all courteous and helpful throughout the night. The hotel looks great, based on my experience I will stay here next time I'm in Ambergris Cay

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends