“Awesome snorkeling, cave tubing, & zip lining” 5 of 5 stars

Exotic Caye Beach Resort Pier, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Discovery Expeditions San Pedro Tours, located on the island of Ambergris is the premier connection for great underwater adventures that an entire family can enjoy. Discovery Expeditions is the only authorized tour operator in Belize for Snuba® and Sea Trek®. Snorkeling tours, diving tours and day tours to mainland attractions are also offered. Discovery Expeditions San Pedro is located on the Exotic Beach Resort pier in San Pedro Town (0.8 miles South of the San Pedro Town Center).
California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Awesome snorkeling, cave tubing, & zip lining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

George and Nicky were great snorkel guides. They took excellent care of us, making sure we saw all the fish and turtles and were as happy as we could be. Vel was our guide for our other tours - cave tubing, zip lining, and Mayan ruins. He was very informative and great personality. The cave tubing was incredible - the zip lining was awesome - and the ruins were so impressive! We had a wonderful time on each trip! We would highly recommend them.

Visited April 2013

Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Great Dive Shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at Exotic Caye Resort and used Discovery Expeditions for diving. The dive shop is on the grounds so it was very convenient. Juan was the dive master and was great. Extremely professional and a very nice guy. Probably one of the best dive masters I've dealt with. The boats are in good shape. We didn't rent equipment so I'm not sure how the rental equipment is. There are a lot of dive sites within a 10-15 minute boat ride of the dock. This is nice as the surface interval can be spent back at their shop. I highly recommend visiting the Hol Chan marine reserve Lots of sharks, turtles, rays, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to use Discovery Expeditions on my next trip to Ambergris Caye.

Visited December 2012
Friday Harbor, Washington, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Juan at Discovery was Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We really enjoyed our Hol Chan / Shark Ray Alley Snuba experience. We are actually both certified divers, and spend lots of time in the water, but thought this might be a fun thing to try. I could see how someone could be intimidated if they have never scuba dove before, but it's worth the effort. I did not nearly enjoy my snorkel trip the day before, as much as the snuba. There are too many people in the snorkel groups, and it's crazy to try and swim through lots of people. Snuba allows you to be on the bottom, and not worry about the chaos up top.
We got much better looks and got to hang out with the sea turtles.
Jackie in the office and Juan made our trip really fun.

Visited March 2013
Pittsburgh,Pa
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Hol Chan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We did a snorkeling trip to Hol Chan/Shark Alley and it was very good - some of the best snorkeling ever. The guide was very good, swimming with us and pointing out and naming fish. Safety was stressed.

However, we would recommend asking if there are any SNUBA people going, and if so, change to schedule a different time! We would have given 5 stars, but one afternoon we started on a trip that had 4 SNUBA people. We all had to wait what seemed like a LONG time -probably 30 minutes while they had an orientation, asked questions, etc.. It is hard standing there with all your equipment, ready to go. And, listening to the SNUBA orientation, it seems to be limited by the weakest participant and if you are linked to timid people, would be restricted

Visited February 2013
Henderson, Nevada
166 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 402 helpful votes
“Bad all the way around”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My kids love to SNUBA and because Discovery Expeditions is one of the few outfitters that offer it we booked a SNUBA trip to Holchan with them and a Sea Trek trip to Mexico Rocks with them months in advance. Everything appeared to be good to go. So we get picked up by the SNUBA guide the afternoon of the tour--let's just say this guy really likes to hear himself talk and is otherwise stoic to anything else you may have to say. His reply when I said, "So just to make sure we are going to Holchan, right?" was "I dunno, you're the one who paid for it..." WHAT does that even mean?! Anyways, First we headed back to one of their offices by the dock to get fins/masks and go through a little debriefing for SNUBA. When I got there I found out that their Sea Trek equipment was out of commission and HAD BEEN FOR AWHILE. This was the FIRST I heard of this! Unbelievable! No one bothered to tell us. When I complained to the desk, the lady called her boss or scheduler who said OH YEAH OOPS! She offered to either not charge me for it or she could change our trip to another SNUBA trip or snorkel trip. I declined booking another trip because we already had a bad vibe from the SNUBA guide. Still, who wants to have set plans only to have them completely cancelled and have to make new last minute plans?

Anyways, we were already there and determined to make the best of the SNUBA trip at hand. After the debrief we headed out to Holchan. We were with another couple who quite honestly had no business attempting SNUBA and would have been better off practicing swimming with goggles in a pool. In short, my family (with two kids 10 and 11) jumped in with our regulators and just milled around for half an hour while the guide was completely overwhelmed taking care of the other couple. I can't imagine what he would have done if we were also high maintenance. As it was we needed a little help getting our buoyancy balanced for our weight belts and he was just tossing weights our way basically having us figure it out. So when we finally set off to swim around the preserve the guide had no command of the other couple's SNUBA raft and they kept crossing over with us. When I looked behind there was a SPAGHETTI BOWL of air lines. It was a cluster. He spent his whole time dragging the air line of the other couple. I don't blame the other couple for needing help, I think the guide was just poorly qualified to deal with it. Anyways, we made the best of the situation and still enjoyed it. Holchan is great and I just grabbed my kid and we just set off swimming around. Everyone agreed it was one of the worst snorkeling/SNUBA experiences we've had, despite Holchan being a great spot.

The guide somewhat made up for things on the return when we stopped by shark ray alley. He grabbed a nurse shark for us to hold, then we snorkeled around. That was a lot of fun and a bonus of the SNUBA trip which I didn't know about--and the only thing that saved them from getting one star on this review.

Overall though, there is no way I would ever recommend or use Discovery Expeditions again. The mere fact that I found out the day before that my trip the next day was not happening is enough to give them an F for customer service. It's flat out something they could have informed me of in advance so I could make other plans for my valuable vacation day.

Visited January 2013