“Long Day” 3 of 5 stars

+501 669-8415
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Cruise Ship Passengers and Overnight visitors can enjoy some of the most unique adventures in Belize. Our tours are fun, safe and a must do at this port of Belize. Apart from the turquoise seas, the sandy beaches of the many islands dotted off our shores and the rich blanket of rainforest that spreads across the country, there is a world yet to be explored beneath the surface. Discover the secrets of the ancient Mayas tubing through an underground realm exploring majestic caves, known as the Mayan underworld. This cave tubing adventure is done several places in Belize, including at the Caves Branch Archaeological Reserve. Visitors can experience a journey of a lifetime into a dark but mysterious place and learn about the Mayas who utilized these caves from as early as 300 A.D. The Mayas who occupied Belize thousands of years ago, considered these caves as Sacred. The Mayas only visited these caves periodically to conduct important rituals.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Miami, Florida
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Long Day”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Jovan was whom I communicated with for the tour but did not see him for the tour. He sent someone else instead. Snacks and drinks were supposed to be provided but we would have had to stop at quick marts to have something and we were running out of time. The Mayan ruin tour we were supposed to go on was changed to a smaller ruin. It would have been nice to have been asked if we wanted to continue with a ruins tour or change to something else. Apparently the ruins tour we wanted have not been available for awhile due to the flooding so we could have changed the tour. I was also expecting rum punch as part of the deal but instead ended up buying my own rum drink at the cave tubing. Our guide was very knowledgeable of the area but it was too much driving for one day. I noticed at the airport that other tours met their guests and had breakfast and juice for them. We got to the airport and had to wait on our ride and on the return trip our boat back to the hotel was not there. After a twelve hour day it was very frustrating. If you choose Jungle Trek try and be very clear on what you are getting.

Visited December 2013
belizejungletrek, Manager at Belize Jungle Trek, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thanks for visiting Belize and touring with us here at Belize Jungle Trek. We really appreciate your time for leaving a review for us. Your review will help us find where we need to improve on our services and can only make us better.
On a quick note however, you must realize that our company is yet small but we do have different tours going out everyday. All our guides are license and have been with me since I started. There is only one Jovan, so I can't be on all tours, I need help from my fellow tour guides. It's very nice to know that you wanted me to be your guide that day. We always provide breakfast and cooler with beers, sodas and water for our tours. Sometimes our guests have breakfast before and don't want any on the tour, some others wants coffee and some wants orange juice. We really make it our business to find what their preference are in any case. Also our cooler never have rum punch. We do provide on requests but it's never something we offer. Our pick up and drop off to and from your resort is included but sometimes on the way back after the tour, some guests would like to stay down town and have dinner or just for the night life in San Pedro. In this case we ask that you find your own way back to your resort. This make it easier for our boat captain not having wait on you for hours to take you back, this way he keeps his schedule.
You fail to mention you had breakfast that morning and didn't want from us. The ruins are near the Guatemala border as stated on our website with all the details on what to expect (time and distance). Than again, you did get dropped off at your resort even after changing your mind from staying down town. You had to wait no more than ten minute at the airport before I arrange another boat to take you back. I must say that we still do appologize and this review will surely be an eye opener and will in fact help us to be better. Thanks again and God Bless.

Canada
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Mixed feelings about our tour...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I booked with Jungle Trek on Trip Advisor. We spent December 25th there, and had book the cave tubing only. We are a family of 6 – kids 10, 14, 17 and 3 adults. We were picked up at the Port and made a quick stop for whatever beverages we wanted (Jovan bought us all water) at a local gaz station before driving out to the cave tubing. Jovan was kind and gave us a lot of information as we drove to the caves (the drive is an hour). Once there; It is a little bit of a trek (30 minutes) but especially when wearing “water shoes” it can be tricky. Do wear bug spray… we forgot and still have marks days later! Jovan took the time to show us the plants and trees – it was really interesting. The experience through the cave is truly magical; the water was “refreshing” and when the sun peaked, it was heavenly. That being said, the whole experience is over within an hour. So 2 hours driving for an hour of tubing seems somewhat short (we regretted not doing the zip lining)… The way back was somewhat awkward – Jovan’s girlfriend was loud and spoke creole – which killed the mood in the van. Overall, we should have combined the cave with something else. We were left somewhat unsatisfied by the tour – it “lacked” something ...

Visited December 2013
Calgary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“VIP Treatment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I booked with Jungle Trek after mostly positive reviews on Trip Advisor. I had a few hiccups trying to give Jovan my credit card information due to telephone problems (weather related) but once I was booked I was sent a full itinerary with a list of what to bring with us.

We started our day at 6:15 am with a water taxi ride into San Pedro. Beautiful day and we were the only 2 people on the boat. Once in San Pedro our boat captain walked us to the Maya Air terminal and we left a short 20 minutes later. Flight was quick and within 5 minutes of landing Andre and our driver Caddy were there to meet us. We couldn't believe our luck when he told us we were the only 2 people on the tour that day! That's what you get for coming in low season though. We drove to a cafe at the Radisson for breakfast (awesome johnnycake and sticky buns) and then made a quick stop for whatever beverages we wanted (just let them know if you would like water, pop, beer) at a local grocery before driving out to the cave tubing/zip lining park.

Our drive was so interesting and did not feel like an hour. Andre filled us in on the local Mayan history, topography, culture...you name it he knows about it! We arrived at the cave tubing/zip lining location and Andre introduced us to our zip lining guides (cannot remember their names but they were great). I felt so safe and didn't freak out like I thought I would going up to the first run. The guides give you excellent instructions and make sure you're strapped in to a safety harness at every platform. Because it was only 2 of us and we had arrived early we experienced 8 ziplining runs. They were fantastic and we actually got to see a toucan and a howler monkey and baby in the treetops. Keep in mind that doing the entire 8 runs requires time and more than a little physical exertion especially in low season with 40 plus weather and we were only 2 people plus 2 guides.

We then returned to the van and got changed into our cave tubing clothes. It is a little bit of a trek but if you have tennis/gym shoes on (it would be difficult in flimsy shoes) it is a nice hike through the jungle. Andre kept us totally enthralled with his knowledge of the area. Because it was only 2 of us and we had started early, we hiked a little longer ways than usual and launched into the cave system and into the most unbelievable experience of your life! The sun breaking through the cave walls and being "blessed" by the dripping water are not to be missed. There are not as many bats I expected which was a pleasant surprise.

Once we returned to where our cave tubing started, we stopped for a delicious lunch of chicken, beans, rice and potaro salad. We made it back to the city in time to catch our Maya AIr flight to San Pedro and then a water taxi to X'Tan Ha. This was a perfect day to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary! Thank you Andre, Caddy, Jovan and Belize Jungle Trek!

Doug and Kim Kirkwood

Visited September 2013
Berkeley, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Overcharged for our trip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My fiance and I did a cave tour with these guys back in June and Jovan has been my main contact for the trip. The trip was a great time but the whole experience has been soured after we were overcharged by $267. We had paid half of the cost for the security deposit and agreed to pay the other half when we did the tour. We did exactly that and after returning home I checked my credit card statement and saw that there were two additional charges. Assuming that this was just a mistake, I wrote Jovan and explained what had happened. He apologized and assured me that I would be reimbursed the amount. Never happened. I'm still keeping in contact with hopes of getting my money back but it feels pretty hopeless at this point. Buyer beware.

Visited June 2013
belizejungletrek, Manager at Belize Jungle Trek, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Before coming to Belize and booking any tour or accommodations, you must know that the exchange rate from US to Belize dollar is 2:1. It is two Belize dollars to one US dollar.
I did apologized even before really checking up on the issue indeed. When you book, I charge you half which was 50%, it was 267US pp. So you were charged 267 Belize as your deposit and 267 Belize dollars as your balance, which we did, but since its two person, I had to charge the other person too, just business that's all. The charge you saw on your statement was for your fiance's deposit. I still did not charge him the balance. Your card declined when my bank tried to charge your card. I even had my bank refund the amount you said I overcharged, so in other words your fiancé got a free tour. Now what do I do? I will again send you a refund receipt of the monies refunded back to your card or could post it on our Facebook page to show you and the world we were the ones who lost. I didn't trip because you gave a good tip on the day of the tour. You were nice people I suppose.
We always remind our guests to leave reviews so we can get more business since we are a small operation and have tour guides who depend on me to keep them busy making money to feed their families. Reviews also help us to get better at what we do and love, but misleading reviews can also and in this case will scar our reputation. I still however welcome you to my country and thank you again for your business. You guys were fun. Thanks and God bless.
Orlando, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Onofra Rocks!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was an amazing excursion!! Onofra made this such a wonderful experience for the 5 of us! I was a little leary as I have knee problems, but he took his time and he was constantly checking to make sure we were doing well! The Jungle Trek is quiet and beautiful with such amazing history! It is a trek and then once you arrive to the cave opening, it is breathtaking!! The water was refreshing! Would we go back?? ABSOLUTELY!!! We will ALWAYS request Onofra as our guide!!! We had forgotten our bug spray (which is a MUST have item) and he conveniently stopped at a local store and went in with us to purchase it!!! Afterwards, we stopped a local restaurant and had a fantastic dish of rice/beans/chicken! The views here were spectacular and the company was fantastic! Thank you Belize Jungle Trek and Onofra! Hope to see you again sooner than later!!!

Visited September 2013