“Tropical Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sueno del Mar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sueno del Mar
12 Miles North San Pedro Town, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #36 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Cookeville, Tennessee
“Tropical Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Sueno del Mar is set on the beautiful Caribbean within site of the fabulous Belize barrier reef and just south of the Bacalo Chico Marine Reserve. Great snorkeling, fishing, and boating. The grounds are beautiful and immaculate, and the condos very nice and clean. The staff is the best, including Carlos, Jose I and Jose II, Harrison, and Mark the manager, among many others. The staff will show you how to snorkel, sail, fish, and hunt for conch and lobster. They will clean your catch and the restaurant staff will prepare it for you. The complex has 24 hour security and is very safe. There are numerous excursions that you can arrange directly at Sueno which can be led by the staff or others to take you inland to distant locations like Lamanai where you can see Mayan ruins. All of the many trips are worth it and highly recommended.

As indicated in other comments, Sueno is not close to the hub-bub of San Pedro. This has many advantages, but does make it more difficult to shop or eat at various different restaurants if that is your emphasis. Nature, the beauty of the Belize barrier reef, and great people are what Sueno is all about. And yes, there are bugs at various times. But all wild and undeveloped locations have some.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

First timers to Belize: THIS LOCATION IS WAY WAY FAR FROM CIVILIZATION!

Beautiful resort, with great staff. Food at restaurant is very good, which is important because not many options.

The good: Staff, room size, room amenities, cleanliness, resort grounds, free use of equipment for water activities, nice clean pool.

The bad: mosquitoes and sand fleas (flies?)! My legs are covered with welts from being bitten each night, even with OFF and baby oil (recommended mixture). Only way to get anywhere is by boat, and boat, in low season, doesn't even run every day. (I have suggested they coordinate with nearby Tranquility Bay to at least offer a morning and evening boat round trip to San Pedro. The folks I mentioned this to actually said it was a good idea and will take to management).

So although without the remoteness and feeling of being trapped, I would have given this resort a 5 STAR but going there single for a dive weekend, this was a big letdown as other than the wonderful couples I met at the resort and nearby Tranquility Bay, I was disappointed at how remote and isolated I felt during the visit.

Room Tip: Rooms are basically Luxury Condos. There are only 2 or 3 rooms that are actually Ocean Front. Mine...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

After reading the numerous good reviews about Sueno Del Mar, me and my boyfriend decided that this looked like the best place for us. Coming from California, it is a bit of a journey (three planes and a boat ride) but still, very well worth it.

We arrived at Sueno to be greeted with two welcome "Rum Punches". We were immediately put into the hands of Edwin (amazing guy!!) who took us on a tour of the property and showed us our room. Now let me just stop at the room. All i can saw is WOW! and AMAZING. Our room was more like a small apartment, decorated beautifully, perfect for the Caribbean environment. The pictures of the villas do not do justice to how great and accomodating the rooms are. Everything was spotlessly clean, and I would like to give great thanks to the cleaning crew, who came in each day and went above and beyond in keeping our villa spotless.

The highlight of our vacation was the activities. We are a young couple, and although we were not trying to go somewhere with a nightlife and partying, we were definitely trying to get in some tours for our trip. Unfortunately, the mild Hurricane Ernesto came, and prevented us from going out on any tours on the first two days of our trip. However, once it had cleared up, guest services did everything they could to get some trips organized. Let me tell you, if you go to Sueno, you MUST do the all day trip to Caye Caulker, Hol Chan, and Shark Ray Alley (I fell in love with Shark Ray alley!!!!) Thanks to Jose and Harrison we got to arrange these trips.

Now, my boyfriend is a big fisher. His main goal was to "catch the big one" on our trip. Although he did not catch the 100 pounder he thought he would, he did get to fish off the dock each day and night. I must mention Edwin once again. Edwin went out of his way to get bait, fishing poles, and the necessary gear to assist my boyfriend meet his fishing needs. We learned so much from him about the resort, the reef, and the types of fish. By saying he went above and beyond would be an understatement. He truly cares about the guest and their needs, and he did is utmost best for us by making us very comfortable.

Another thanks to both our bartenders for the fun conversations and THE BEST MICHELADAS!!! Thank you to Jose at the front desk, always with a smile on his face and willing to help at any time. Thanks to our chef, and the security guards too. I could not walk at night without someone from security lighting my way with a flashlight. I always felt safe.

All in all, Sueno was a great trip for us. The only thing I advise to you, is that it is a 30 minute boat ride from town. The boat goes to town a lot to pick up arrivals and for departures, but make sure to keep on top of asking. I would say that voicing any questions you have while at Sueno is the best option to keep you "in the know". If you are expecting a happening nightlife, this is not the place. Amazing to relax, and get away from the rest of the busy world. We hope to return one day soon, and hope that all the amazing staff are still there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Siem Reap, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My wife and I spent 2 weeks at Sueno del Mar and loved every minute. Everything is breathtaking including the rooms, landscaping, and reef right of the dock! We loved the privacy and quietness of Sueno but also the abundance of activities they offered. When we weren't relaxing by the pool we were taking the kayaks out and snorkeling by the resort, learning how to use the Hobie Cat, or taking bike rides along the beach. The best part about these activities is that they are all free when you stay at Sueno!! We were also able to go on a tour to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Ally with other people from the resort instead of having to book through someone else.

If we ever needed anything or wanted to go into San Pedro for the day all we had to do was ask. From the time we arrived to the time we sadly said our goodbye, we were truly in paradise!!

We could not have been more pleased with the atmosphere, service, or standard that Sueno del Mar has set! We look forward to returning again and want to thank Jose, Carlos, and the rest of the staff for such an enjoyable experience!!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Enterprise, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

WOW!!! We spent 14 days at the beautiful resort Sueno del Mar. From sunrise to sunset it was the most ultimate vacation we have taken. The villa we stayed in was beautiful and very comfortable. The way the villa was decorated was perfect for a resort in Belize. The customer service from the time they picked us up at the dock was 5 stars quality. Their restaurant was awesome. The food they cooked for my wife and I was very good and plentiful. If I could I would give the restaurant 6 stars! The Key Lime pie was amazing!! But you’ll probably have to ask for it!!
They had two pools that were very nice and well kept. Cleaned daily and were the prettiest blue. And the temperature was always comfortable. The grounds around the villas were well kept and groomed perfectly. I was really impressed with all the effort they put into the grounds in keeping the place looking beautiful.
We loved every minute of our stay. We found that the Belizean people were even friendlier than we could ever imagine. The resort has tours that can be booked at Guest Services. Wilderness, ruins, snorkeling, diving and fishing tours can be made. The tours are usually very small in size, which ensures a very attentive tour guide. They also have connections with other tour companies and resorts to find the exact tour you might be looking for. I never saw anyone come back from one of the tours disappointed.
There are many special things about Belize and this resort. Too numerous to cover all of them! One thing you will hear while visiting the Sueno del Mar that I never hear from any resort that we have visited around the world is the word FREE. For free they will let you uses their Hobie Cat sail boat, glass bottom canoe, and kayaks. And for the folks that don’t know how to sail they will teach you and in a very short time you’ll be sailing back and forth in the crystal blue waters of Belize. Lots of fun!! You can use the kayaks & canoe to get to the Barrier Reef where the snorkeling is amazing. They have snorkel masks & fins for you to use. They also have some fishing gear that you can use to fish off the dock. I also really enjoyed this!!
I cannot say enough good things about the resort & the employees. They did everything possible to make our stay a success. We have already booked our next vacation to repeat our stay. And we plan many more trips to Belize. Sueno del Mar is more than we ever hoped for. Great place to stay at and worth coming back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Sueno del Mar is a nice place but all in all it did not live up to my expectations. It is a 30-40 min boat ride to san pedro. Now some people said this made it exclusive but I found it to be more of a hassle. we also stayed at belizean shores and that was 15 mins away and seemed to be just as exclusive. Apparently it is their low season now so maybe everywhere you stay is exclusive. The people were nice and the complex we stayed in was nice as well. Although we did have problems with our AC and internet. My bf and i are from NY so it was weird they dont give you a key. We came home one day to find the door wide open. nothing was taken though. another instance we came in and one of the guys was working on his computer to fix the internet. it was just strange to us. but i guess you can trust them which is good. Now i am a big foodie and read reviews that at the restaurant they are very accommodating and like requests. The first day we ate there i was very disappointed. All they had for dessert was a brownie with cool whip! So i asked if they would make coconut pie. they said they would but on our last day they still did not have it. The guy said the chef was preparing for a wedding they are having next week. That pissed me off because i am their guest now! all in all i wasnt impressed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Sueño del Mar is paradise. Staff is so nice, from the boat captain, waiters, chef, front desk, everybody. It is half an hour by boat away from San Pedro, so it is a very quiet place. The hotel has nice activities, like kayaks, hobie wave, a small coral reef in front to go snorkeling, and it offers a great adventure package to go snorkeling to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. We had an awsome vacation!

Room Tip: ask for a room in the beachfront villa, it has the best view over the ocean!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sueno del Mar? Share your experiences!