We (a retired couple) had a great time staying in a one-bedroom at the Grande Caribe for nine days in early February 2013. The staff on the front desk were great. The concierge was very helpful in booking all of our excursions which were top-notch. The cleaning, grounds and security staff were all very friendly. Our room felt new and it was very clean. The views from our 3rd-floor balcony were spectacular. The Grande Caribe grounds were immaculate and the beach was kept clean by many staff raking it each day. We really like the location of Grande Caribe with a proviso (see below). We always felt very safe. In summary we would highly recommend Grande Caribe, we hope to be back there soon.
Room. As far as we can tell, all of the rooms should have ocean-views. The Fan associated with the A/C was very loud when it came on and we were unable to run it on "low". This was not a huge problem as we ran the A/C in the day and simply turned it off at night. The all-concrete structure kept the room cool enough for us through the night.
Stairs. There are lots of them, especially for those staying on the upper floors. This was not a problem for us. The staff quickly took our luggage and our groceries up to our room for us. We took everything we needed to the beach and pool, so we really didn't make many up-and-down trips.
Location. We arrived just after a two-week rainy period in Ambergris Caye. We flew Tropic Air (good experience) into San Pedro. We booked a Golf Cart from Moncho's (we highly recommend) just outside the airport. We loaded our luggage and bought some groceries in town on the drive north to Grande Caribe. In crossing the bridge (the "cut") headed north the "road" consisted of huge potholes full of muddy water. By "huge" we mean some potholes were the size of the Golf Cart (all four wheels in very deep water). It was extremely difficult to make that now 2-mile drive north while balancing luggage and groceries on our lurching Golf Cart. We laugh about it now. With hindsight, on arrival, a Taxi would likely have been a better choice for us over the Golf Cart (but still an extremely rough ride). Note they did grade the "road" later in the week.
For the remainder of our time at Grande Caribe we found it easy to walk to nearby restaurants (at night take a flashlight!) and to ride our rented bicycles into town along the beach (in the daytime). We also took water taxis. So we think Grande Caribe's location is pretty good. We'll call the location "perfect" when the local government (or somebody) builds a real road. Just laying down some gravel would be huge improvement.
On-Site Food. We ate at the Pool Bar a few times and found it to be very good bar food.
Pools. All were very clean. The hot tubs were too hot for us.
Beach. Very clean. Good quality lounges and umbrellas. Swimming off the beach was a little difficult. The bottom is not soft sand, it's more course material with some shells which makes it hard on the feet without water shoes. Tall people can walk-out as far as the end of the dock. However at that point you are into some heavy boat traffic all day long, so not such a good idea. We made-up for this by renting a sea kayak from the friendly folks at White Sands (1/4 mile north on the beach). We paddled out to a mooring buoy at the reef and jumped-in for great swimming and OK snorkelling. We also took snorkelling excursions via the Concierge. Our experience with Li'l Alfonse at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley was superb.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The unique layout of this premier resort provides the entire 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom condos with an unobstructed panoramic view of the second largest Barrier Reef! The residences are beautifully appointed with spacious, fully equipped kitchens. The living rooms and bedrooms have flat screens and all accommodations also have ipod docking, DVD and internet service. Concierge can arrange local flights, golf cart rentals, all tours including snorkeling, diving, fishing, sailing, mainland excursions, private charters, private chefs and babysitting. Contact us for your next vacation, honeymoon or any special occasion! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Caribe Belize Resort And Condominiums Hotel San Pedro
- Grand Caribe Belize Resort And Condominiums San Pedro