My husband and I have had numerous trips to Ambergris Caye over the years and we both agree that Grand Caribe was the best place to stay. We just can't understand why it's not the #1 listed! (maybe because it's only 2 years old). The resort compares to a Marriott or Ritz Carlton.
1) It's the nicest resort on the island that is closest to San Pedro without being in the town.
San Pedro is similar to a small Mexican town. For a "vacation", it's not where we would to stay to "relax" (i.e. a lot of people, sand/dirt blowing, congestion with taxis/golf carts etc.) . We have found that staying on the north side of San Pedro is a more "relaxing" feel. The resort is also in the nicer area of the island where larger homes are built.
2) Location Location Location! Grand Caribe is usually the first drop off and last pick up for the boat taxi (very important if you take the boat taxi). After several stays on the island, we found that the boat taxi is the easiest form of transportation. If you stay further north at Las Terrazas, Coco Beach etc., you may have a dozen stops before actually getting to town. At Grand Caribe, the taxi has already made it's stops (unless they have someone to pick up at the Palapa Bar) so once you get on the boat taxi, it usually heads straight to town. From Grand Caribe, it only takes us 5 mins to get to town versus 30 minutes if we stayed at a resort further north. Also, Grand Caribe is usually the first drop off when you come back to the resort before taking others to their destinations.
3) Better road to Grand Caribe than further north. If you are staying at Grand Caribe, the road is much better getting to town if you rent a golf cart. We've been at Las Terrazas and Coco Beach where we literally couldn't get to town on a cart after it rained and got stuck in the mud.
4) Great food at the resort and around you. We didn't go to town much while we were there. There's really no need since Grand Caribe will stock your refrigerator with what you need. They also delivered a case of beer & diet coke for us. The pool bar has great food and a wide variety. We fished one day, and they cooked our fish--they blackened some, grilled some, and fried some. Charlotte (best cook on this earth!) also made fish tacos for us. You can eat at the dining tables next to the pool or they will deliver to your room. There's also about 8 restaurants within a quarter mile each way. Our favorite and one of the best on the island is Aji next door. Capricorn is also great (1/4-1/2 mile north) and Mambos will pick you up free at the dock for dinner (great experience!). Palapa Bar is a must to visit since it sits out on the water - somewhere you could spend the entire afternoon!
5) 5 Star Accomodations, beautifully kept grounds and friendly service. Whatever we needed, they were there to please.
We noticed that all of the rooms have an ocean view and the resort has the largest ocean front compared to the other nicer resorts. Other resorts have a narrow ocean front and most rooms do not have an ocean view. This was important to us when having coffee in the morning (or a beer in the evening) on the patio.
What we have learned on our trips to the island:
-take a flashlight with you and bug spray for at night
-bring a few snacks from home ("American food" is more expensive especially crackers)
-the island is full of wonderful people: always helpful, speak English and remember you the next time you see them. We have never had a negative experience while vacationing on the island.
-leave the "heels" at home and pack lightly (we take less every time we go; you really just need a few t-shirts, shorts and bathing suit)
-the resorts with "grass roofs" attract mosquitos. They look cute, but may be a bit uncomfortable if staying there.
-we prefer flying Tropic Air to the island over Mayan Air.
-try some of the "local" restaurants for lunch or dinner. Waraguma has the best lobster burrito (make sure you get with coconut sauce). There are some really good "cheaper" restaurants that have great Belizean food on middle street, back street and side streets.
If going to the island, you just need to remember not to be in a hurry. Enjoy the laid back atmosphere and leave your watch at home!
- Also Known As:
- Grand Caribe Belize Resort And Condominiums Hotel San Pedro
- Grand Caribe Belize Resort And Condominiums Hotel
- Grand Caribe Belize Resort And Condominiums San Pedro
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The unique layout of this premier resort provides the entire 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom condos with an unobstructed panoramic view of the second largest Barrier Reef! The residences are beautifully appointed with spacious, fully equipped kitchens. The living rooms and bedrooms have flat screens and all accommodations also have ipod docking, DVD and internet service. Concierge can arrange local flights, golf cart rentals, all tours including snorkeling, diving, fishing, sailing, mainland excursions, private charters, private chefs and babysitting. Contact us for your next vacation, honeymoon or any special occasion! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, EasyToBook, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Tingo and Hotels.com so you can book your Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.