“If I could only bottle this place and keep a little in my pocket with me every day...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums

You added Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums to your Saves list
Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 mils north of San Pedro, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Grand Caribe for our honeymoon, and we could not have had a better time anywhere in the world! The condos are luxurious, the pools are beautiful and spacious, and the view of the sea is magnificent! The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, and it is reassuring to see security at all times-I never felt unsafe for a second! We enjoyed walking up to the Palapa Bar and hanging out, as well as riding to town on the Polaris to look around. When we decided to go on an excursion, the staff handled it for us quickly and efficiently-we did not have to do anything except tell them what we wanted. I must say, when anyone asked us where we were staying and we told them Grand Caribe, they looked at us a little different. Everyone in town seemed to know that Grand Caribe is the best place to stay on the island. We will DEFINITELY be back in the future, and we've told all of our friends to consider staying at Grand Caribe for their next getaway-it is well worth it!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I booked at the Grand Caribe when I was looking for a great fun-in-the-sun getaway for my 40th birthday. My boyfriend is a seasoned diver and former marine scientist and I was getting SCUBA certified, so great diving for both novices and pros was also a must.

I didn't know what to expect, but after reading the great reviews here I had high expectations. I have to say, they were exceeded. The amazing staff was ready to help with our every need. The concierge not only helped my boyfriend find a great waterfront dining spot for my birthday dinner but also arranged to have a birthday cake and balloons delivered--AMAZING! The food at the Grand Caribe restaurant was good and remarkably inexpensive. The facilities were simply amazing, from the well-appointed units much nicer than any place I've ever stayed (or even lived in), incredibly comfortable bed (we found ourselves pulling up the sheets to find out the make and model of the mattress), beautiful balconies overlooking the pool and Caribbean (did I mention that that pool is the largest in Belize?)...it was all out of a dream. I was a bit worried that the place would be overrun with guests but often we were just one of a handful of people by the pool, or the only ones (there's so much to do on Ambergris that we didn't spend a lot of time lounging by the pool, and I guess that's true of most people! But after a dive it was a great spot to unwind). We even had fun snorkeling around the dock in the late afternoons.

We also appreciated the location. It was about a 15 minute bike ride into town along a dirty road or beach path, which was the perfect distance to remove ourselves from the hubbub downtown (not that downtown San Pedro is bustling by far--it's a lovely little town!). At night we'd sit in the dark by the water's edge, look at the stars, see the lights of San Pedro in the distance and be glad that we were away from it all--especially when people we met who were staying in town talked about being kept awake all night by the disco blaring next door. Grand Caribe was nice, quiet, and peaceful. By day we'd cycling into town for a dive and hit some of the great dining spots in town for lunch (Waraguma!!!! Oh their shrimp tacos...! Best conch fritters in the world at El Fogon!!), by night we'd have light appetizers at one of the many great dining spots within a stone's throw of the Grand Caribe.

The diving was also amazing here. We booked through Ambergris Divers and the instructor, Roberto, was fantastic--incredibly patient with me as a first-timer, but tough enough to make sure I'd really mastered all the skills necessary. And the sites we went to for my check-out dives were so incredible that my boyfriend said two of our six dives were the best he'd done in his life. I'll never forget the experience of seeing 3-4 eagle rays appearing out of the deep blue abyss sixty feet down--incredible!

Thank you Grand Caribe for an amazing, memorable 40th birthday week! We'll definitely be back!!!!

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms here!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Was very pleased with my stay, couldn't really ask for much more:

Appearance: very pretty place, lose some of island feel, but a really beautiful place.

Location: I thought location on island was a real plus. North of bridge was nice to me, little more secluded. There was enough to do on that side. Legend's Burger House, Palapa bar, Capricorn restaurant, just a few places we really liked on that side, Now the lagoon and a shop is across road, so outside front door of resort, not most aesthetically pleasing, and our room was connected to lobby, so our 2nd bedroom overlooked that, not a big deal, If you get ocean front room not an issue at all

Pool: Awesome! Only one other pool on island is better, swim up bar, big enough for laps, 3 ( or 4) pools total, beautiful

Room: unbelievable, beautiful Teak molding, top notch everything, appliances all nicer than my house

Service: Laundry done every day, very clean, servers at poolside bar nice, but not spectacular

Food: poolside bar only, but food very good

Beach: like rest of AC, not much to beaches, grassy bottoms, that's why all places have piers, did not sit out on beach much, Diving is where it's at in Belize

I would return to AC and Grand Caribe next week if I could, what does that tell you?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Windham, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

I've stayed in a lot of resorts, but what made the Grand Caribe so special were the people. Judy ,the concierge helped arrange everything from my daughters' finishing their open water diving certification, to arranging flights, tours and even a photographer. When we arrived a day late, no problem. Marlin at the front desk completely rearranged our flights and modified the reservation with no questions asked. Chi, the bartender, lent his latern the very first night so we could see our way as we walked along the beautiful shore line to the Tapas Bar which he recommeneded and was great. Try the chocolate coconut cake. We even brough some home it was so good. We were refered to Winston our driver and guide on the mainland. Though the drive from Belize City to the zip lining was over an hour, Winston kept it interesting. He was so accomodating we even got to stop for ice cream on the way home. Definitely ask for him.

The actual accomodations surpassed what we had hoped. We stayed in the four room suite and if you have a family this is the way to go. Not only four beautiful rooms, but all with bathrooms. The furnishings were so nice we asked who did the art work and the furniture to try and bring some home. I can still shut my eyes and see the three palm trees swaying in the breeze over that beautiful blue water.

The three pools have something for everyone and my girls and I loved just laying in the shallow pool.

You need to know, the Grand Caribe is away from the hustle and bustle. Though it was easy to get to town and plenty of good shopping and resteraunts near, North Ambergis Caye is not in the mainstream, but that is exactly what we wanted.

I'd highly recommend Grand Caribe and plan to return.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

We have traveled to numerous places for an ocean front vacation (i.e. Cancun, Los Cabos, Europe) and would rate Grand Caribe and Ambergris Caye our favorite. Very relaxing atmosphere. Every room has a great oceam view and extremely nice accomodations (recommend 2nd floor for the best view). The dock is incredible - nicest on the island and there are even lounge chairs there where you can spend the day.
Staff was extremely helpful for scuba diving, golf cart rental, calling the coastal express - anything we needed.
Everyone on island was extremely friendly (they obviously know they live in paradise). All spoke English (I thought several would speak spanish, but when asked they said they grew up in Belize speaking English).
If you are looking for a low risk country, English speaking, no crime recommend you visit Ambergris Caye island.
Once we were there, we looked at all the places on the island for future rental. We would rank Grand Caribe our # 1 favorite. We felt it was the best location that was close to town, but not "in town". We also looked at Cocoa Beach, Las Terrazas, but they were too far from town for us and a smaller property (everything seemed "crammed in to a small amount of land).
Food was good by the pool for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They will even make a special request is they have the items. We were told that Grand Caribe plans to build a restaurant and fitness center at some point.
Recommend -
Breakfast: Grand Caribe, Yoga place next door (didn't eat breakfast much)
Lunch: Wild Mangos in San Pedro, Mambos - take the coastal express since it's north of Grand Caribe or the Blue Water Grill in San Pedro.
Dinner: Mambos (will pick you up free for dinner); Blue Water Grill.
Best Burger: Legends close to Grand Caribe
Good BBQ: Lazy Croc next to Grand Caribe - open Fri/Sat/Sun only
** Go to the Palapa Bar for a drink - it's a palapa way out in water; incredible views.
Recommend: 1) Picking up beer and water on the way in from the airport if you get a taxi since there's only golf carts, bike and boats for transportation, 2) get fruit from numerous fruit stands around town, 3)Loved Amigos Del Mar for scuba diving - very professional and located at the Coastal Express.
Other recommendations: If you want to walk the beach at night take a flashlight. Very casual atmosphere - tshirt and shorts is fine anywhere at night.
Other: The coolest thing about Ambergris Caye is with the barrier reef, there are no "crashing waves". The water is incredibly beautiful and it's more like a lake since the waves aren't crashing and it's only 3-5 feet. You can snorkel right off the dock. You will see people kayaking, fishing, windsurfing, sailing etc. Just incredible. We were there for two weeks and it wasn't long enough! Recommend a boat pass for the week and renting a golf cart for a day or two. We also loved riding bikes.
There is a "golf" island that we tried to set up to play (they will fly and pick you up), but since it's for sale it was closed. Hope it opens soon!
If you like to fish (not deepwater fishing), hire a small boat and go to the west side of the island.
All said, if you're looking for a "party place" like Cancun, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Nicest and best location north of town.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

We just finished a very enjoyable stay at the Grand Caribe with our friends (a total of 9 kids and adults). I would highly recommend this resort.

The Good

1. The unit was outstanding. Very well appointed. Colorful. Spacious. New. Expensive appliances including flat screen TV's, iHomes, stainless steel appliances of all kinds. A full bar.

2. The resort was uncrowded and immaculate. The photographs actually depict reality. Three pools and one small hot tub. Swim up bar with the usual tropical drinks. A small clean beach with chairs and lounges. The beach was cleaned every morning. Our kids spent 3-4 hours in the pool each day having a blast.

3. Service was good. Hotel staff was accommodating of requests. Note that the front desk is staffed from 7 am to 7 pm only. Daily housekeeping. Bikes, golf carts, jet skis, etc. can be rented from the front desk. Tours can be organized by the concierge, though the one we did for snorkeling from "Seaduced" Tours was slightly below average because of a grumpy tour guide. However, snorkeling was sensational, even to a first-timer like me. To be so close to corrals, fish, sting-rays, barracudas, and nurse sharks was amazing!

4. Accessibility to town and shops was not an issue for me personally, though it could be for some people. I would not want to stay in downtown Sam Pedro since it is slightly run down. Water taxis (water boats really) run from a pier in front of the resort very regularly for Belizean $5. You can rent a golf cart but it is expensive (USD $72 for one day for a 6-seater). You can rent bikes for USD $6 for 4 hours.

5. There is good internet connection and good cable TV if you want it, including Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and Hindi language channels. The concierge stocks paperbacks that you can borrow.

6. The weather was fantastic. 80 to 85 degrees with 10 mph winds 24 hours a day. Absolutely heavenly.

7. We did a three-in-one excursion with Belize Jungle Trek which was absolutely sensational. Mayan ruins at Xunantunich, ziplining, and cave tubing. Approx. USD $225-$250 per person, which was worth it despite our initial reservations. It included airfare to Belize City, all transportation, drinks, lunch. Jovan was fantastic. Pravin, his partner, drove the van. Ably assisted by Brandon. This was our second time ziplining (after Costa Rica) and we enjoyed it much more. Cave tubing was something else.

The Not So Good

Minor stuff really, but it prevented me from giving this a 5-star rating.

1. We found small lizards in our unit on 3-4 occasions. I know that this is the tropics, but it freaked out a couple of people in our party.

2. Some people felt that getting to and from stores for grocery or other shopping was a pain.

3. The beach is nice but you can't really wade into the water due to pervasive sea weeds. You can dive into the water from the pier though since it extends 200 feet or so into the water. Some people were actually snorkeling in there.

4. A couple of people in the party complained of soft beds.

Additional Info

1. If you are flying into Belize City, take a cab to Belize Municipal airport (USD $25-35) from where flights to San Pedro cost USD $60 or so return vs. $110 from the international airport (since it has to collect tax).

2. Elvi's has great food. Carramba's was just ok.

3. Plenty of vegetarian options in every restaurant. My wife is a strict vegetarian and generally had no problems.

4. San Pedro is expensive. Milk was USD $12 per gallon. Rooms and rentals are pricey (you pay US rates). Restaurants are expensive but you don't need to order one dish per person.

Overall, highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

You can see where this location is going and in 10 years may be very different from what it is now. My advice - get there and enjoy. The resort is perhaps the best on the Caye with spacious rooms and a beautiful compound. The pools will suit any family member, from the little to elderly. Nice swim up restaurant and the beach is fantastic.

If you dive, there are a ton of options. Island Divers provided a great experience - Rudi is a first-rate master. Whatever you do - Julie will set you up with a smile. Now, the roads are "rustic" and you will rent a golfcart to get round - but this only added to the experience to me. The town is small with many great restaruants right on the beach. Hit "Wild Mango" for a meal if you can.

The best part is the people - no edge - just family-oriented folks who go along to get along. Leave your stress at home - chill and be treated with respect by everyone you meet.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family