“Loved this place!” 5 of 5 stars

Sea Grape Drive, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Loved this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I had an amazing time at Pedro's Inn. I stayed in the hostel part which was basic but nice, and the rooms in the hotel part were lovely. What I really loved were the two swimming pools, and the bar. I was there on my own but it was easy to meet people, and the bar was fun. However the staff made sure people didn't make noise at night outside the rooms, which was really considerate and I never had any trouble sleeping. There was a good mix of people staying there, from backpackers to couples to people on short holidays. The value for money was amazing, and I found the owner and staff really friendly. There's also a good selection of books in the reception. The hotel is a little way out of the town centre but the walk is no more than 5 minutes so it's not a problem. It took a little time to find it, but if you just ask a local, everyone knows where it is. I found the atmosphere really nice and I'm so glad I chose this hotel as I had a brilliant time. If I ever went back to San Pedro this is definitely the place I'd stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Somerset
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is far from the town centre (not that you'd honestly want to go there anyway - what a dump), it's too hot to walk in buy golf cart rental is expensive $50 USD/day.

The British man that owns the establishment is extremely rude, constantly cursing and insulting people. Several of the people we met there had said he'd personally insulted them during their stay!!

The rooms are nothing more than garden sheds, with no plugs, only a ceiling fan that was neither use not ornament!

The pizzas are delicious but expensive by hostel standards. The only saving grace is that it's near Ramone's resort - I would honestly just stay there. It's worth the extra cost if you're intent on visiting San Pedro - but I would just stick to Caye Caulker.

• Stayed April 2013
pedro101, Owner at Pedro's Inn Backpacker Hostel, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
We are sorry that you did not enjoy San Pedro Town, and we are exactly a 3 minute walk to Ramon's which is the start of town - and a 7 minute walk to town proper but it could be a lot longer if you are not as agile as most. When you go on holiday, our advice would be to look at the average temperatures of where you are going. It's hardly our fault that you selected one of the hottest months of the year to come to Belize. Perhaps some more background work would be advisable. Golf Cart rental is somewhat expensive, as you were told by us - and you were given a 35% discount off the regular price - which you were very pleased to get at the time. I don't remember anyone holding a gun to your head to take the golf cart. Bicycles are available at a much less expensive cost.

I occasionally have been known to swear, but not at the guests and I remember buying you drinks in our bar - which you gladly accepted at the time. I cannot comment on what other people told you, but as we have a lot of people return each year, obviously we are doing something correctly.

You are correct - it is hostel-style accommodation and are exactly as advertised, somewhat small with 2 single beds and a ceiling fan. For the price these are a great value for Ambergris Caye - which is the most expensive place in the entire country to purchase land and/or build. We took the outlets out of the room as various people had brought in hotplates to cook in the rooms, which is an extreme fire hazard due in part to the size of the room.

By hostel standards - what a statement... We have a very eclectic group of people that drink and eat at Pedro’s - guests at the hotel, people who live on the island and guests at hostel as well - Nobody who understands that besides us serving the best pizza in Belize because we import everything, including the fresh tomatoes and green peppers, the pepperoni and indeed the cheese. So our costs are more than double than the USA and much higher than that in the UK, but it was good of you to say that our Pizza was delicious.

Ramon’s is a very nice resort - no TV's in the rooms however, at over $200 USD per night, add on the service charge as an extra - You paid $12.5 USD per night per person. If $175+ US per night MORE is no big deal to you Pedro's is not the place for you.

Caye Caulker – wonderful place. Much cheaper to buy land on Caye Caulker – and no hostel there has 2 swimming pools (read none) or 8 Meg Wireless Internet (the fastest available in Belize) and is which why you were able to stream movies on your smart phone while lounging at the pools when you stayed with us. We also have a large grounds to lounge around on, a wide variety of interesting folks from ages 18 to 60+ that are having a great time because of our staff and their attitude towards customer service and cleanliness ensuring that people have a great time here – as you can see from our other trip advisor reports.
Reno,NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

San Pedro is a surprisingly expensive tourist town, so it was a nice to stay at Pedro's for a fraction of the other hotel rates. I paid $74 US, including taxes, for a deluxe room with a king bed. The deluxe rooms face the two pools. It was a simple, clean room, with a small flat-screen TV and free cable, wifi accessible in my room, and a wonderfully cold AC. The pub noise died out quickly after 10p. Really, this is a great place to stay if you're young or young at heart. Now, the location is why it is priced much lower than other hotels. It's a couple of blocks away from the beach, in a neighborhood that looks distressed, so if you are looking for high class, stay away.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sussex, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Recently stayed for 5 nights. Very friendly and helpful staff. Laid back. Very nice clean room with beautiful view of sunsets. Fun, young crowd from all over the world. Great bar and pizza. No problem with noise, quiets down after 10.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Pedro's for 14 nights in March 2013. It had the best Hostel staff ever! They helped me out no matter what problem or question I brought them! They made phonecalls for free, booked my flights and offered me a free drink when they noticed that I was down one day! I could have continued forever, but I will keep it short: If you're going to San Pedro there is no other place to stay than Pedro's Inn Backpacker Hostel!

• Stayed March 2013
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a good time staying at Pedro's Inn. The room was clean, the staff was firendly. However, it is a little offset from the action and really close to the airstip! There is also a nice bar/restaurant located in the hostel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Plus:
- cheap
- nice pool
- clean restroom and shower
- cool pizza place and bar with a crazy (in a good way) bartender

Minus:
- tiny room
- airport runway just behind the corner (you have to get drunk to fall asleep - could be also listed above)

To sum up - you get what you pay for; great place just for an overnight stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pedro's Inn Backpacker Hostel? Share your experiences!