“Simple, but good!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Fogon

El Fogon
#2 Trigger Fish Street | Just North of Tropic Air Terminal, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize
+501 206-2121
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 126 Restaurants in San Pedro
Cuisines: Caribbean, Barbecue, South American, Central American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: El Fogon meaning the "firehearth" specializes in Authentic Belizean Cuisine. Our lunch menu includes Stewed Meats, Seafood & Soups. The items on the menu are all local favorites. Dinner consists of Grilled Seafood, Shrimp in Orange and Ginger Sauce or a Mango Sauce, Seafood Creole platter and much more...All served with a choice of Coconut White Rice or Rice and beans cooked on the open fire.Frozen Key Lime, Coconut Cheesecake and Local Ice Cream makes up our nightly dessert.
“Simple, but good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

El Fogon (hot oven or burning fire) is a very casual restaurant. The small, rustic atmosphere can be charming, since it is quiet and dimly lit. For what may seem like a simple place, the food was quite good and a good value. Lots of fish entrees on the menu and a very attentive staff. Definitely worth a try if you want to escape the crowds in San Pedro.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Madison, WI
“Great food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I am currently on Ambergris Caye and had dinner here tonight. It was recommended by a really nice family that saw me walking and stopped and gave me a ride into town. I was not disappointed. The menu is small, but everything on it sounded delicious. Your meal includes appetizer, entree, and dessert. I had never had fish balls or conch fritters before, so my super friendly waiter gave me a combo of both. Both were excellent, but I loved the fish balls! So delicious. For my entree I had chicken skewers in a mango sauce. It came with beans and rice and vegetables. So much food and so good!! I may go back tomorrow as I heard my waiter tell another table that the current fish is grouper. I love grouper. Do try the habanero sauce but be very careful! It has quite a kick. My waiter had me try it before I doused it over my food. So glad he did. A very little goes a long way. They were busy tonight, but I was seated and waited on right away. The staff couldn't be any friendlier, and I met the owner too. What a nice guy! If you are in San Pedro, definitely go here! You will not be disappointed! The restaurant itself isn't fancy but with food like this it doesn't need to be. I feel it was also very fairly priced for the amount of food and quality. Save room for key lime pie. Go here!

Visited April 2013
“Best food on the Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Very casual and laid back atmosphere. It is basically a price fix menu with about 11 overall options. Like a lot of places here it really is actually two or three dishes with options of rice and meat. The food is actually very very good. The wait staff is very friendly and accommodating. It's not on the beach and the overall seating area is kind of rustic. It's a very pleasant and authentic feeling place. A must visit in San Pedro

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Delicious! Went twice in a week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Hands down the best Belizean restaurant in town. They were the saving grace of my trip to San Pedro/Ambergris. Henry and Alberto are so sweet and friendly. Get the grouper and the lime shrimp!

Boston, MA
“Not my favorite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is a nice, small restaurant where the menu is written on a blackboard. The cooking appears to be very old fashioned which I like. The menu didn't have enough options on it for me. Most of the items were stewed meat. I got the stewed beef and didn't really like it. The service was excellent. The atmosphere was nice and more mayan oriented than others. Seating was outdoors under a thatched roof. Others in my party enjoyed the food more than me. I would go back & try it again.