“I felt 100% calmer and more energized-LOVED it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Pedro
Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort
You added Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort to your Saves list
One mile North of the Bridge, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Canada
“I felt 100% calmer and more energized-LOVED it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

We felt instantly at-home and calm at Akbol. Kirsten and Milio were so welcoming and friendly, as well as Johnny at the bar and Steven around the resort, and the atmosphere was laid-back, friendly and peaceful.
We stayed in a thatched palapa by the pool, and loved the shuttered doors, little deck, mosquito nets (necessary in May) and outdoor shower. It wasn't like a luxury resort, but something better - a well-designed, low-key, cool getaway.
Kirsten's yoga classes are incredible - better than any teacher I've had. You feel so good when you've done yoga every day as well as relaxed, swam off the pier every morning, read and slept well.
The food is so great, it's nice to mingle with locals at the outdoor cafe/bar, and Johnny was like our buddy for breakfast and lunch. Town is close enough to go explore - rent a golf cart for a day to zip back and forth. The snorkelling is amazing, and I wish I'd made time for a massage with Milio (for US $50 it's a really, really good deal).
The only suggestions: We would have liked daily towels (or supplied pool/beach towels) and suggest they raise their cafe prices a little bit to perhaps dissuade too many locals from spending the day at the bar - it's very cool to hang with locals, just a few times it felt like guests might not be able to find a seat.
If you want a refreshingly casual and inexpensive vacation in a world-class spot, this is for you!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I have never been away from home before and felt so much at home. The owners of Ak'Bol Kirsten and Milio greeted us right as we arrived and showed us to our cabana on the ocean front. Upon opening the doors to the cabana my brain totally relaxed into vacation mode as i saw how perfectly cozy and comfortable this very reasonably priced resort would be. Every morning I woke up looking out at the ocean through the slatted doors and the ocean breeze made it so I was never uncomfortable. There were hammocks and beach chairs to relax on and everything looks out at the ultrablue ocean. Johnny the bartender kept the bar/restaurant going every day we were there while the ladies in the kitchen did a seriously quality job cooking up items like coconut french toast for breakfast, papusas, salbutes, and panades made up some snack items, and then burritos, fajitas, and quesadillas for lunch among other things. Kirsten and Milio were never far either, always very hands on with the day to day work of the resort. The island provided a superb variety of places to go for dinner all within walking distance or you could rent a bike if you preferred to go a little further out. There was also a water taxi that would take you all the way to town from the palapa bar that was a stone's throw away from Ak'bol. It would even take you to the pier of the place you were going if it was on the water. Stephen was the boat man for Ak'Bol and he would run the snorkel trips as well as pick you up when you arrived in San Pedro. I have to say I've never seen anyone be able to just name every fish or creature that would pass by but he did an excellent job at the Holchan snorkel trip he took us on. Yoga with Kirsten was a very centering experience. I have to say I'm not a huge yoga buff...but on the pier yoga studio you can't get a much better atmosphere than that so I figured I couldn't come to a place designed for yoga without giving it a go, and I was not disappointed. She was calming and patient and aware of everyone's level and helped where help was needed and would arrange you if you wavered. I felt revived afterwards. Milio offered massages and though I did not get one I heard they were spectacular. He is also a very skilled hair cutting artist and gave my curly hair its first look at what having a hair style is like. Kirsten and Milion would also arrange any trips you wanted to take that wereaway from the resort. My sister, her sister-in-law, and i went to the mayan ruins and had a great time. I'm going on and on and on but the place is spectacular and if you want to go to Belize I wouldn't go anywhere else but here. I felt like a part of their family when we were there and while it was a little sad to leave I didn't feel too bad about it because I know I will be back there and I can't wait to bring other friends to experience this gem of a place. Thanks Ak'Bol for making my time with you so delightful!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Its beautiful of course, the yoga classes are great, the food is great, the outings are really fun but for some reason that alone does not sum up what's great about Akbol. The place just has a spirit about it that definitely works its way down from Milio and Kirsten, the incredibly cool and generous owners.

We met amazing people there and feel like we left with new friends. We're already planning our next stay.

And when we settled up our bill for food, drink and outings at the end of the week we were pleasantly surprised and left with a good feeling instead of feeling like you overextended yourself.

You have to give this place a try.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We just returned from a wonderful vacation in Belize and already we are missing the tranqulity Akbol offered. This beautiful retreat was exactly what we were looking for. From the second we arrived, Milio and Kirsten made us feel comfortable and welcomed. The decor of the cabanas was impeccable as no detail was left unnoticed. The private outdoor bamboo shower was great. I can go on and on about this place!... Delicious home cooked Belizian meals, great yoga class with Kirsten and Maya the dog, awesome snorkeling trip with Steve, and a fun night out in the downtown which is only short and scenic bike ride away. We plan to soon return with family and friends

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

Ak'bol has to be one of the best travel bargains out there. My wife and I went and took along our 21 year old son who stayed in an adjacent room for only $35US. Proximity to San Pedro was made better by Milio and Kirsten's willingness to let us ride along whenever the boat went into town. I gave the rooms a five because they were more than adequate for what we expected. If you are expecting AC, TV, private bath and coffee maker than consider another place for a lot more money. The communal "bathroom" for the Yoga Barracks were clean, newly constructed and I found them as private as needed. In the "Barracks" the rooms are not cleaned every day and we had to ask for fresh towels (thus the 4) which were readily provided. The Shade and Bean offered very good breakfast and lunch menus and were reasonably priced. Take advantage of the yoga lessons ($15US each) and snorkel Hol Chan and Shark Alley with Steven. A great way to see San Pedro.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

Wonderful, peaceful experience all around. Ak'bol provides daily Yoga classes at the end of the long dock, fresh, local and healthy food for breakfast and lunch, daily specials, very friendly and warm stafff and beautiful surroundings. It's quiet, but within walking distance of San Pedro town or a short water taxi ride. Each cabana reflects the natural surroundings and they all have a huge, attached, outdoor walled shower room that is a real luxury! Very clean and eco-friendly. This is the best place I have stayed in Belize - hands down. Check out the website - it is very comprehensive.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Leavenworth, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Ak'bol for 10 days at the end of April and I have to say that the whole experience far exceeded my expectations. We stayed in one of the beach front cabanas and every morning we would wake up and open the shutter doors to the most amazing view. The setting was truly paradise!
From the moment we arrived at Ak'bol, we were treated like family by the owners and the staff. Milio and Kirsten have given every detail attention and it shows. I had spent a tremendous amount of time researching accomodations available on Ambergris and on Caye Caulker and the whole time I was there, I kept thinking about how grateful I was to have chosen Ak'bol. The recent building boom on Ambergris have given rise to many large Americanized resorts that lack the charm we were looking for. While I'm sure these hotels are nice, I don't believe we would have received the same experience and hospitality that we enjoyed at Ak'bol. I loved how the cabanas and the bar are nestled right in amongst the palm trees and the pool feels like swimming in a lagoon and Milio and Kirsten always went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of.
Much of our time at Ak'bol was spent hanging out at the bar and restaurant. Both of the bartenders, Marlon and Johnny were great and I've now decided there is nothing better for lunch than a fry jack and a Belieken! The ladies in the kitchen serve wonderful Belizean food and were even kind enough to give me a lesson in making fresh tortillas a fry jacks!
I've also decided there is no better place to practice yoga than on the end of a pier overlookiing the ocean. Each of the classes I took with Kirsten were unique and it inspired me to further my practice.
My husband chose to sit out the yoga classes, but we did enjoy many snorkeling trips with Steven as our guide, which I would highly recommend. On our first day, we went to Mexico Rocks with a different company and although we had a good time, we felt like we got a lot more out of our trips with Steven. Steven grew up diving with his Dad and his enthusiasm for the ocean shows-he always made us feel safe and spent a lot of time pointing out the names of different fish and coral.
We also spent a lot of our time hanging out with Milio and Kirsten and the other guests of the hotel-lots of good conversation and laughs. I have to say that Ak'bol attracts a great crowd! By the end of our trip, we were very sad to have to leave our new friends but happy to know that we will be coming back next year and hope to bring friends and family.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort? Share your experiences!