We felt instantly at-home and calm at Akbol. Kirsten and Milio were so welcoming and friendly, as well as Johnny at the bar and Steven around the resort, and the atmosphere was laid-back, friendly and peaceful.
We stayed in a thatched palapa by the pool, and loved the shuttered doors, little deck, mosquito nets (necessary in May) and outdoor shower. It wasn't like a luxury resort, but something better - a well-designed, low-key, cool getaway.
Kirsten's yoga classes are incredible - better than any teacher I've had. You feel so good when you've done yoga every day as well as relaxed, swam off the pier every morning, read and slept well.
The food is so great, it's nice to mingle with locals at the outdoor cafe/bar, and Johnny was like our buddy for breakfast and lunch. Town is close enough to go explore - rent a golf cart for a day to zip back and forth. The snorkelling is amazing, and I wish I'd made time for a massage with Milio (for US $50 it's a really, really good deal).
The only suggestions: We would have liked daily towels (or supplied pool/beach towels) and suggest they raise their cafe prices a little bit to perhaps dissuade too many locals from spending the day at the bar - it's very cool to hang with locals, just a few times it felt like guests might not be able to find a seat.
If you want a refreshingly casual and inexpensive vacation in a world-class spot, this is for you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only full service Yoga Center on the Island. Stay nightly (meals and yoga not included in room rate) Join 7 night yoga retreats with meals and yoga included, prices on our retreat schedule. Daily yoga classes open to the public at the end of our pier with mats available. Massage and snorkel trips with Ak'boL guide. We help line up all trips, so you can relax. Come unplug with us! namaste ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Ak`Bol Yoga Retreat And Eco-Resort
- Ak`Bol Yoga Retreat & Eco Hotel San Pedro
- Ak'Bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort Belize/San Pedro