“After spending 6 years on Ambergris Caye, this is the best - accomodation and food!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Pedro
Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort
You added Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort to your Saves list
One mile North of the Bridge, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

Wonderful, peaceful experience all around. Ak'bol provides daily Yoga classes at the end of the long dock, fresh, local and healthy food for breakfast and lunch, daily specials, very friendly and warm stafff and beautiful surroundings. It's quiet, but within walking distance of San Pedro town or a short water taxi ride. Each cabana reflects the natural surroundings and they all have a huge, attached, outdoor walled shower room that is a real luxury! Very clean and eco-friendly. This is the best place I have stayed in Belize - hands down. Check out the website - it is very comprehensive.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Leavenworth, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Ak'bol for 10 days at the end of April and I have to say that the whole experience far exceeded my expectations. We stayed in one of the beach front cabanas and every morning we would wake up and open the shutter doors to the most amazing view. The setting was truly paradise!
From the moment we arrived at Ak'bol, we were treated like family by the owners and the staff. Milio and Kirsten have given every detail attention and it shows. I had spent a tremendous amount of time researching accomodations available on Ambergris and on Caye Caulker and the whole time I was there, I kept thinking about how grateful I was to have chosen Ak'bol. The recent building boom on Ambergris have given rise to many large Americanized resorts that lack the charm we were looking for. While I'm sure these hotels are nice, I don't believe we would have received the same experience and hospitality that we enjoyed at Ak'bol. I loved how the cabanas and the bar are nestled right in amongst the palm trees and the pool feels like swimming in a lagoon and Milio and Kirsten always went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of.
Much of our time at Ak'bol was spent hanging out at the bar and restaurant. Both of the bartenders, Marlon and Johnny were great and I've now decided there is nothing better for lunch than a fry jack and a Belieken! The ladies in the kitchen serve wonderful Belizean food and were even kind enough to give me a lesson in making fresh tortillas a fry jacks!
I've also decided there is no better place to practice yoga than on the end of a pier overlookiing the ocean. Each of the classes I took with Kirsten were unique and it inspired me to further my practice.
My husband chose to sit out the yoga classes, but we did enjoy many snorkeling trips with Steven as our guide, which I would highly recommend. On our first day, we went to Mexico Rocks with a different company and although we had a good time, we felt like we got a lot more out of our trips with Steven. Steven grew up diving with his Dad and his enthusiasm for the ocean shows-he always made us feel safe and spent a lot of time pointing out the names of different fish and coral.
We also spent a lot of our time hanging out with Milio and Kirsten and the other guests of the hotel-lots of good conversation and laughs. I have to say that Ak'bol attracts a great crowd! By the end of our trip, we were very sad to have to leave our new friends but happy to know that we will be coming back next year and hope to bring friends and family.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

My friend and I just finished a 1 week stay at Ak'Bol, and would return in a heartbeat! The cabanas are lovely, the outdoor shower is a luxury, and the owners and staff are friendly, helpful & inviting. We took the water taxi from Belize City, and were greeted (right on time) with friendly staff who picked us up in a boat and brought us to the resort just around sunset -- it was magical. The bird chatter is abundant and the water is gorgeous. The food at the restaurant is regarded highly by locals and visitors alike for its affordability & flavor. The retreat is a bit outside of town (which we valued) but be prepared to walk a fair bit, or rent a bike... there are restaurants and bars nearby for evening activities as well. But the best part is simply lounging about, enjoying the relaxation. Highly, highly recommended....

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

We picked this resort because it was one of the more inexpensive ones we could find on the beach that wasn't 6 miles from San Pedro town (only about 1 mile). I also had some interest in eco-tourism so this looked appealing to me. We arrived on the island and were immediately greeted by Johnny (he hugged me as we got off the plane) and were taken straight to our water taxi. We were treated like family from the beginning as we were escorted to our cabana 15ft from the ocean. It was very nicely appointed and couldn't have felt more tropical with palm thatched roof, mosquito netting over the bed (functional some months of the year but we didn't see one mosquito on the whole island), and a conch shell vessel sink. The outdoor shower was a favorite (don't worry it is heated water and very private) due to the magnificent starry sky above you at night. No air conditioning but didn't matter most of the trip because the Mayan Winds were blowing very strongly through the plentiful louvered windows and it was totally comfortable even during the heat of the day( I admit I needed a fan the day the wind died down- which Kirsten brought right over). All the staff/owners were terrific: Milio, Kirsten, Johnny and Brando could not have been more helpful with every detail from yoga classes in the palapa (Kirsten adapted one of her classes for me since I am pregnant) to sea salt facials to dive trips- and of course the food and drinks at the Shade Bar were the best we had on the island- we were sad that they weren't open for dinner - we would have eaten there all three meals of the day. The Belizean BBQ on Saturday was probably the best BBQ chicken we have ever eaten and we are from Texas so that is saying a lot. Breakfast Fry Jacks to die for($6 Belize)- I miss them every morning. Our little girl enjoyed the cute, friendly dog Maya and the shallow end of the pool which was only 1 ft deep. One day she was introduced to coconuts when Johnny climbed one of the many coconut palms, kicked a few down and cut them open for us to drink the water out of them with a straw- what a fun experience for her! Anyway - I can't say enough about this place - we will be back probably next year and we plan on bringing friends and family with us. One of the top 3 places we have ever stayed and we travel a lot! You will not be disappointed with Ak'bol- what a wonderful retreat!

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

Travelers seeking an authentic (non-touristy) island resort experience will find paradise at this hidden gem on Ambergris Caye. The gracious owners go out of their way to welcome guests and provide them with personalized service. Their love for the island and Belizean culture is reflected in the resort's creative and eco-friendly surroundings. We were thrilled with our accommodations—an ocean front cabana with stunning views of the sunrise. We enjoyed the outdoor yoga classes, but you don't have to be a yogi to fall in love with this place. The food at the resort's outdoor restaurant offered fresh, local ingredients -- delicious and healthy! What a value, what a place -- we'll be back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

The room is comfortable with a big bottled water dispenser that has hot & cold spickets and a mini fridge. The shower is very private despite being outside & there is a separate toilet room. There are several hammocks between palms on the beach to read or snooze in. The breakfast menu offers delicious food at the cheapest prices around & big portions. We did not eat lunch there but Saturday's BBQ sure smelled wonderful. We rented a golf cart since the walk is quite far to town. However, the water taxi's can pick you up at their pier and the resort has bicycles to use, as well. Yoga is offered every morning under the palapa at the end of the pier. The pool is incredible with a few barstools in the water facing the bar & the ocean. There is no air-conditioner in cabanas but we didn't miss it with the ocean winds blowing over us all night. It would probably get warm in the hotter months, though. We appreciated the use of eco-friendly, natural materials to furnish & decorate the room. We really enjoyed our stay at Ak'Bol.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort? Share your experiences!