“The very best !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Phoenix Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Cochrane, Canada
“The very best !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband Colin & I just spent 7 perfect days at the Phoenix, Feb3-10, 2013. We were looking for something other than a noisy all inclusive & we found the Phoenix based on other Trip Advisor comments. No wonder this place was ranked #1 in Belize...from the moment i called to inquire & spoke to Stacey to the minute we checked out, no detail was overlooked.We were greeted by Gabriele & Pamela, given a grand tour, our condo was deluxe nicer than my house , I was celebrating my 50th so our bed was covered in flowers that spelled happy Birthday Darcy...yes, really.Beautiful, fluffy towels, robes, fully stocked kitchen, what they didn't have ( like decaf coffee) they got it .Aveda bath products, HUGE walk in shower for 2, clean, clean, sparkly clean EVERYWHERE !! The pools were gorgeous, lots of chairs at all times of the day, no towel games here, there was no need.We could even take the towels on our day trips. There was always a place for us. IN fact, it was never full, everyone was off diving etc. Rolando was the sweetest bartender ever..pool side food from Red Ginger made me swoon...try the shrimp Po'boy or the coconut shrimp. One of the BEST parts about the Phoenix was the location...right in town but you would never know it. We could walk anywhere at anytime & feel safe. Lots of cool bars/restaurants close by (must try Wet Willy's, you can see it from the pool look left!) Great bakeries nearby so you can have breakfast at home on the fab deck. The girls arranged our snorkel/fishing adventure with Oliver, as well as another trip with Alfonse. You, too can hug a 9 ft shark!! Nothing was ever a problem here...ever. No noise, in fact it was unreal how quiet the place was, not because of the lack of people, but the type of people. If you are looking for a loud holiday, pool games & entertainment, this is not for you. If you are looking for relaxtion, impeccable service, beyond friendly staff & guests, this is for you. My husband & I have fairly high standards, not in a snobby way but we know what we want and don't want.We could not have been happier. Make sure you rent a golf cart and explore..ask the people at the pool what they have been doing! Thats the best source for info...don't wait till the last day to discover something great. Be curious.. I cried the whole day i had to leave...I felt like it was home. You better Belize it, it was that fabulous. The Phoenix rocks!!! Oh speaking of rocks, there is a GREAT live music scene in San Pedro, if this is your thing...ask around.

Room Tip: There are really no bad rooms, itdepends on how many of you there are. We were in A6, which was perf...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This place is beautiful! My friends and I celebrated my 40th birthday and the birthday of a friend of mine during one week in October 2012. The facilities are top notch - very clean and modern compared to the competing alternatives. The staff is also great and very accommodating. They even baked cakes for both parties, arranged meals and helped us plan activities and transportation. Mark must have answered a million questions via email prior to booking and arrival, which made us feel at ease planning such a complicated trip for a group of 10.
The hotel is situated very close to the main drags in San Pedro, but set up in such a way that you don't feel like you're in town.
Our rooms were HUGE and setup nicely, with two bathrooms, kitchens and washer/dryer in the room so you can pack light. Both of our condos were on the second floor overlooking the pool and with direct ocean views.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
south carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is a long overdue review as we were at the Phoenix last November for 10 days. We had never been to Belize and We are so glad that we choose to stay at the Phoenix Resort. The entire staff is wonderful and the place is absolutely pristine. Any request that we had, trips we wanted to take, anything and everything was taken care of by the wonderful staff at the front desk. Since we were with friends we stayed in a three bedroom condo and it was gorgeous. My husband and I travel a lot to warmer places when it is cold where we live but rarely if ever have we loved a place so much that we have gone back again. This is not the case with the Phoenix and will be spending another 10 days this coming November as it is so special. The Red Ginger restaurant has wonderful food and if we wanted to try another place we could walk to any place we wanted. I have never been to a place(San Pedro) where I have gone out shopping by myself and felt as safe as I did in San Pedro. I like to do different things when we go on vacation but the Phoenix Resort was the kind of place that I would have been happy just to sit by the pool and read. Although there are many places I still have to go too the Phoenix on Ambergris Caye will become a yearly vacation spot.

Room Tip: Depending on the amount of people that are going any room would be perfect.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Having grown up in Belize it was great to go back to San Pedro & stay at this amazing property. I worked for high end hotels in USA & the service at the Phoenix is as good or better. They really get the customer service experience & empower their employees to do everything possible to keep the guest happy. They answered every email I sent them within 5 minutes, how they manage to do this is beyond me.

The suite was ready prior to the scheduled arrival time and as you arrive there are drinks in hand. The location is central, but quiet enough where you can relax and enjoy. The suites are gorgeous as is the pool and amenities. I would also recommend their restaurant Red Ginger. I plan to return later this year.

Room Tip: Get a second floor unit.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Absolutely pristine and beautiful. Our room was a gorgeous condo-like facility. I'm one who can't sit still on vacation but the place was so nice I spent easily twice the amount of time I normally would.

The pool areas and pool bar were modern, sleek and very clean and pleasant. The overall look and design of the place is pretty striking as well.

Bit of an added bonus was that the food at Red Ginger, their attached resto, was great as well - not great for 'hotel' food, great in general.

The service was beyond exemplary - booking outings, they even brought me a roll of duct tape which was an odd request but met with aplomb.

Lastly; the location was incredibly convenient for getting around. The bottom line is, while it was a bit costly, this is where I'll be staying the next time I come to San Pedro. It's among the nicer places I've stayed anywhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Northern VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We truly liked staying at the Phoenix, the staff was friendly, the rooms very clean, and had everything we needed and was within walking distance of where we wanted to go.

Resort: The Resort was beautiful, and the premises were always clean. Although we did not use the pool facilities, it was well kept, and always had fresh towels. We never made it to work out in the gym, but it definitely had the basic and well maintained machines. Security guard was always around and helpful. Only concern was walking up the outdoor stairs, since they are a bit slippery in sandals when it rains.

Excursions & Activities. We wanted to swim with the sharks and rays, and the hotel set up the trip for us with "Big Sexy" - a native with some great stories and he was insane the way he handled some of the moray eels - price was reasonable through the hotel. We also ordered massages on our balcony - was well worth the expense since it was so convenient and the girls were very friendly. We tried to do the sunset cruise, but bad weather canceled the trip.

Room: We chose to get a 2 bedroom for the 2 of us so we could have an ocean front view. We were on the 2nd level, and were a bit disappointed by the coconut trees, since they blocked most of the view of the ocean, but they did afford us a little bit of privacy on the balcony. You will be shocked when you first go into the room, since it is huge - it is a full 2 bedroom condo, fully outfitted with literally all the conveniences from home, bar, full refrigerator, oven, stove, washer/dryer, etc.. There were nice personal touches by the owner of family photos and drawings, local rum for mixed drinks, and some beverages.

Technology: Internet was fantastic, TVs had all the English stations you could ever want. Electricity was same as U.S.. Hotel gives you a cell phone to carry around with about $10 prepaid - but we never used it. Having kids back home, we needed to have access to our babysitter on a regular basis. I have Verizon Wireless, and wife has AT&T. At least under our plan, phone calls made or answered were $2.50 a minute, and sending basic texts was 50 cents (receiving VZW texts is 5 cents and ATT free). We disabled data roaming and just used WiFi for data. Our signals were strong. I had set up Google Voice and MagicJack Apps on my phone - and neither worked calling out; however, I could receive Google Voice calls to my cell when on WiFi - and send/receive free Google Voice text messages.

Walking about Town: We preferred to walk on the beach, rather than the streets, since there was less chance of getting run over by the golf carts (few sidewalks). We bought food and beer (Belikin - of course) at a local grocery store - not the Circle-K (Circle-K is not a U.S.A. Circle-K) and the owners offered to deliver it to our room. We had bought 5 bottles of wine after landing at Belize City for about $10 / bottle at the duty free - and it was packaged for us and Tropic Air took it for us at the check-in and handed it back to us at the luggage pick-up. Wine in San Pedro was very expensive for even basic bottles. As a joke, I walked into one of the local pharmacies to ask about Ambien to help sleep, and they were ready to write a prescription on the spot and sell us an equivalent. Lots of people selling arts and crafts on the street / beach - mostly touristy stuff, and we didn't need anything - but had carved wood, shells, etc.. Only once did we get offered "Party Favors / 420" while walking home from dinner at night - I laughed and said no thanks - not scary and not any pressure - and wife did not understand the reference.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel is situated in town which allows you to enjoy the town and also the privacy of the resort. It is an ideal location. The staff are phenomenal. They are caring and helpful and professional. The rooms are beautiful as are the grounds. The restaurant and restaurant/bar staff are also excellent. We had a wonderful time and felt that all was as advertised if not better. If you want to relax and be taken care of, this is the spot. They are also amazing at helping you to book trips and make suggestions for things to do. As I feel that is important to give back to each community I visit while on holiday, they too support this. Please support the people of Belize. We loved our stay, the town, the food, the people and the experience. If you like to snorkel, dive and be adventurous, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask the staff. They know.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Phoenix Resort? Share your experiences!