“Peaceful Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Zachary LA
“Peaceful Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed four nights here as part of a wedding party in mid-May. Reservations manager Lorraine Smiley helped arrange everything from her Houston office and was always cheerful and patiently helpful. My wife and I were given a three-bedroom, two-story lagoon view "hotel" room. Ha! Did I say hotel room? More accurately, a very comfortable, modern, well-appointed, squeaky-clean (the entire property is immaculate) townhouse. It was on the second and third floor of the particular building we were in, Just behind and to the left of the O Restaurant bldg. The lagoon view is unspoiled...just ignore the one electric wire and the street lamp...no problem. Seeing the dirt road I feared the worst (road/traffic/people noise) but that was unfounded - everyone drives golf carts...not once did I hear any road noise at any time. In fact, that is one of the best things about Las T: you hear birds and wind and maybe passing guests and that's it. Peaceful!

The upstairs bedroom has windows on three sides and a huge terrace area, so we could sit out each evening and morning on lounge chairs and watch the breakers on the barrier reef in the distance, as well as monitor the pool. On the third story the bathroom is outside on the terrace, so you've got to open the blinds and then the sliding glass to door to go there in the middle of the night. Personally, I liked the outdoor set-up, my wife not. The showers are glass and have the oversize shower heads. All counter-tops are granite, including kitchen.

All kitchen appliances are nice stainless steel Kitchen Aid (or something else recognizable and decent). The kitchen had plenty of plates, glasses, silverware, corkscrew, everything you need. My only complaint is: the knives are DULL. Sharpen them!!! Before leaving the States we placed a grocery order to matagrandegrocery.com and the food and beer were properly stowed in the fridge or on the counter. Don't forget to stop by one of the Belize Airport's Duty Free Shop and pick up some premium liquor at a great price. Having Don Patron Anejo ($35) in the freezer was nice. Order the 284 ml Belikin beers - that's about 9 oz a bottle, light and crispy.

The grounds are kept immaculate. There are big fat spoiled iguanas or lizards on steroids or whatever. Don't feed them and they'll ignore you. They don't want you to feed them. Why? B/c then they'll be aggressive in approaching you, and you won't like it. Pool and pool side area are immaculate. The pool guy arrives at first light seven days a week and babies that pool. Totally perfect water. Sand in the pool since it's by the beach, right? Nope, that guy keeps it that clean. There are well-appointed tables on either side of the pool where you can eat your lunch.

There are plenty of good food options. The burgers there are really good. Skip the french fries: they're good, but you get five or six fries for five or six bucks! There are vegan options. O Restaurant was fine. See the lunch and dinner menus on line. The fish was a little dry but I'm in Belize, not Commander's Palace or G W Fins. Deserts were quite good - Key Lime 3 ways was a hoot. All the drinks are fine and fairly priced. We (30 of us) did the buffet at Elvi's and found it delicious! Good margs, too! I found all bartenders eager to please.

Keep in mind you can take a water taxi to San Pedro and walk two blocks to plenty of restaurants. Either hire your own or get the schedule at the desk...water taxis are the mass transit of Ambergris Caye. Aside: I didn't fool with golf carts...didn't feel the need to go anywhere else on wheels.

The beach area is what you would expect at a resort - the chaise loungers are comfortable, you can have one under a palm tree or out is the sunshine. Waiters/waitresses will come by intermittently, but if they don't, get up and get your own drink, it won't hurt you. That's the slow season, baby.

There are sea kayaks and a Hobie catamaran for your use. Some fabulous snorkeling is a 15-minute kayak paddle from your beach. You aim for the white buoys either to the right or left out by the barrier reef, tie up, don the mask and fins you rented for US$10 at the PADI dive shop next door, hop in and lose yourself in another world. Then you get the Hobie cat and sail to your heart's desire. Then start making your dinner plans while you unwind with a nice cool beverage. The wind blows out of the E/NE 10-20 mph every minute of every day from January to mid-June, so there's your sailing/wind forecast.

The best thing about Las Terrazas is the people. The management has done an excellent job of training their employees to work in the hotel/tourist industry. They take pride in their work, and they cater to their guests. I watched the GM and various underlings pitching in to make sure things got done for the wedding. The staff works hard and it shows...by not showing--you are warmly greeted at the water taxi in town, with cool towels and fruit punch upon arrival, at the front desk, and it just gets better. They put effort into making it appear effortless. Perfect!

Room Tip: These aren't "rooms" - these are nicely-apportioned apartments. There are no clunkers...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
LasTerrazasTeam, Director of Sales at Las Terrazas Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
What a glowing review! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences. I personally loved working with Linda and Stephen on their destination wedding at Las Terrazas Resort and we enjoyed hosting their family and friends. I would like to clarify two comments to other Trip Advisor readers. (1) yes, there is an upstairs bathroom on the balcony (enclosed) however, there is also another full bath on the first floor in this unit. (2) while it can be more economical to purchase alcohol at the duty free shop in the airport, local policy does not permit alcohol purchased off premise to be consumed on premise.

On another note, I want to sincerely thank you for the kind comments regarding our staff. Belize people and culture make guests feel extremely welcome; we happen to think we have employees who exhibit this the best. Most have been with us for many years at another resort prior to Las Terrazas and we are proud they are part of our team.

Regards,

Carolyn Stone
Director of Sales
Las Terrazas Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Johns Creek, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from May 27 - June 1. We were greeted as we arrived on the resorts boat with rum punch and a cold towel. We stayed a patio room, the amenities were nice but the bed and bathrooms felt a bit cramped (a jet tub would have been a welcome feature). The housekeeping service was good although somewhat inconsistent, some days the number of washcloths was inadequate even with evening turndown service.

O Restaurant Breakfasts were good the assortment was adequate. The watermelon juice was great along with the "crispy bacon." Lunch I was not impressed, one day they out if fish another day the fish and chips were just ok. Dinner was excellent, both of our entrees. During one day we ordered happy hour drinks and were told no bartender was available so we modified our selections.

The resort bikes need replaced, they are in terrible shape, we met another biker on the beach he said - "Las Terrazas huh, great resort, horrible bikes" and other guests we spoke with had the same sentiment.

No bar service at the pool or beach, definitely a nice feature to add that could provide additional revenue to the resort.

One night we asked the front desk staff, if a restaurant was open that night, we were told yes, we got there and it was closed and had not the concierge at a nearby resort helped us we would have been stuck waiting on a dock for 2 hours on another taxi. Recommendation, insist a call is made before taking off in a water taxi.

Overall the resort and beach were nice. Some areas of improvement are warranted and easily could improve the resort.

• Stayed May 2013
LasTerrazasTeam, Director of Sales at Las Terrazas Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We sincerely thank you for your overall positive comments and we are happy you enjoyed your stay at Las Terrazas. It is only with comments such as these that we are able to improve upon the guest experience and provide the high level of service for each and every one of our guests. I noticed that your party of 5 stayed in a 3 Bedroom / 2 Bath first floor Patio with over 1,600 sq feet of space. We pride ourselves on the spacious over sized accommodations. Jet tubs are available in several of our units including Penthouses, Sea Houses and a few of the 2 Bedroom Garden Terrace Suites. In the future, be sure and express your preferences to your travel agent to help her book the most appropriate room for you room.

I do not want to make any excuses for the areas where we did not excel, however, I would like to provide an explanation to a few of your points.

1) Almost all items that are required to support the resort are purchased in the US and shipped to the island. Unfortunately, there are shipping delays beyond our control; which in this instance, the shipment includes wash cloths. Also, 9 brand new bicycles are actually enroute to resort now with an expected delivery date later this month.

2) According to our Executive Chef we have not been out of fish and wondered if there was some misunderstanding by the server. The same for the bartender. There is always a bartender during service times and feel the server misinformed you. Both of these comments will be used as training tools with our staff; especially in the areas of customer service and communication.

3) As the O Restaurant bar is also located pool side, we exclusively offer this bar to our guests when the resort is at a certain occupancy and it is not prudent to have two bars opened. The occupancy can also be factored by guests who have excursions booked away from the resort grounds for the day.

4) There is no excuse for our lack of stellar guest service in regards to your dinner reservation away from the resort. Our management team is using your comments to ensure that each of our Front Desk Team is well versed in securing an offsite dinner reservation and confirming the establishment is open and transfers are arranged.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and experiences. Comments such as yours are not only valuable to our team but to other guests researching places to stay. Should you return to Ambergris Caye we would be honored to have you stay with us again.

Carolyn Stone
Director of Sales
Ambergris Caye, Belize
US 800-447-1553
Wilmington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were four girlfriends (ages from 28 – 65) spending a long weekend at Las Terrazas . They had a lot to offer for all of us.
Most of us do travel a lot and it is hard to find such accommodating people. The place is modern and relaxing.
We took a golf cart to San Pedro and had a blast, stopped at Palapa’s bar on the way back to have a drink :)
Also, it is convenient that Las Terrazas has The Padi Shop onsite with kind and knowledgeable personnel, we went scuba diving with them and had a great time!
Don't forget to meet Mr. Pepper, the cutest puppy in Belize!

Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We ate there for lunch one day. The food was great and the grounds were beautiful. We didn't stay at the resort, but they really helped us get around town by allowing us to use their dock to grab the water taxi and they recommended a taxi in town to use.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We came because of friends getting married. This resort is incredible. Rooms are huge and very nice. Staff will take care of whatever you need. Food is delicious. We will plan a return trip. Thanks Las Terazzas for a great weekend.

• Stayed May 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I recently spend a fantastic week at Las Terrazas. From the moment we arrived, to our departure, we interacted with friendly staff who were vested in us having a memorable vacation. We came home relaxed, refreshed and eager to return. One of the most memorable aspects of the trip was the condo we stayed in (#220). It was a very large, well decorated, with an amazing balcony. I will say we originally booked a smaller "Laguna" view unit. However, on arrival we noted that although it was beautiful inside it had a terrible view and the patio looked onto a dirt road. Not wanting anything to take away from this holiday we negotiated (not very well...it was quite a price jump!) an upgrade to #220. It was worth it!

The beach in front of the hotel is small but beautiful and ample for the size of the resort. The beach furniture was "upscale" and there was never a problem getting a cabana. The view of the reef 500yds off shore was amazing. The resort has sailboats, kayaks and paddle boards.

The food on the resort is good not great but the setting makes up for any deficiencies. For lunch I recommend walking (or cycling down the beach) towards San Pedro and sampling the following restaurants (a) Capricorn (b) AJi ( amazing fish tacos) (c) Palapa bar (food not great but the view is spectacular) and (d) Lazy Croc (lunch only Thurs-Sun). Stay away from Coco Beach! For dinner the "Rendevous Restaurant" beside Las Terrazas was very good...probably the best we had on the Caye. Take the water taxi into San Pedro and experience "Blue Water Grill" on the south side of town. We also tried "Caliente" and although I will eat nearly anything the meal we got was inedible....we were exceptionally disappointed.

One of the features of my reviews is to comment on places to run. Because of the remoteness of the resort running options are limited. However, there is a dirt road behind the hotel and it runs all the way to town. Its about 3.0 miles to the "bridge" and the first few hundred yards outside the hotel are tough going. Unfortunately, I had a misstep into a large pothole and pulled a muscle in my leg! So be careful. There are a few dogs along the way but they are all friendly. Although I had no issues, nor heard of any, I must add that the road (trail!) is very quiet and may not be for everyone.

Finally, David the manager has the biggest dog I have ever seen! Its a Great Dane on steroids! Getting a picture with it is a must.

Have a great time!

Room Tip: I would pass on the Laguna suites if you want a view......
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had a great time staying at the resort for four days. Every minute spent there was memorable. The service was excellent. I do not have anything negative to say about our stay at the resort. Every member of the group came back home only singing praises of our fantastic experience at the resort. I highly recommend this place for anyone who is looking for a place to just go and de stress. I give this place 10 out of 10.

Service provided was excellent.
The condo we stayed was amazing. It was a three bed room three bath condo on the beach and 10 steps away from the large pool in the back.
AMENITIES Everything one needed was provided and more. If something was missing or if we wanted something all we had to do was say a word and it was taken care off immediately. We (PARTY OF 5) drank 9 gallons of fresh coconut water in 3 days which would have been impossible at any other resort. I walked out saw coconuts on the tree and the first employee I ran into I asked if I can have some fresh coconut water. In less than 10 minutes he had 5 coconuts cut with straws served to us in our room. People were very friendly and humble. The food there at the restaurant was excellent. When I expressed my wish to go fishing, they got me a line and bait in 5 minutes, took me to the pear which was 100 steps away where I caught a snapper, took it back to the restaurant and in 25 minutes I had fried snapper served to me in my room. We took 30 sardines to the restaurant they cleaned them and fried them for us and served them at the pool with drinks while we were enjoying our time in the pool. We went on a fishing trip where the guide helped each of us catch a snapper, took us to a remote beach, cooked the fish on the beach and served fish with potatoes and beans along with local beer. We spent one more hour on the beach after eating. We were the only one there. It was an amazing experience. Can not be duplicated any where else.
Must go at least once in your lifetime.

Kota Reddy MD.

Room Tip: Get rooms 220 OR 106. Excellent views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Matachica Beach Resort
#13 of 53 in San Pedro
4.5 of 5 stars 680 reviews
Xanadu Island Resort Belize

Been to Las Terrazas Resort? Share your experiences!