We stayed four nights here as part of a wedding party in mid-May. Reservations manager Lorraine Smiley helped arrange everything from her Houston office and was always cheerful and patiently helpful. My wife and I were given a three-bedroom, two-story lagoon view "hotel" room. Ha! Did I say hotel room? More accurately, a very comfortable, modern, well-appointed, squeaky-clean (the entire property is immaculate) townhouse. It was on the second and third floor of the particular building we were in, Just behind and to the left of the O Restaurant bldg. The lagoon view is unspoiled...just ignore the one electric wire and the street lamp...no problem. Seeing the dirt road I feared the worst (road/traffic/people noise) but that was unfounded - everyone drives golf carts...not once did I hear any road noise at any time. In fact, that is one of the best things about Las T: you hear birds and wind and maybe passing guests and that's it. Peaceful!
The upstairs bedroom has windows on three sides and a huge terrace area, so we could sit out each evening and morning on lounge chairs and watch the breakers on the barrier reef in the distance, as well as monitor the pool. On the third story the bathroom is outside on the terrace, so you've got to open the blinds and then the sliding glass to door to go there in the middle of the night. Personally, I liked the outdoor set-up, my wife not. The showers are glass and have the oversize shower heads. All counter-tops are granite, including kitchen.
All kitchen appliances are nice stainless steel Kitchen Aid (or something else recognizable and decent). The kitchen had plenty of plates, glasses, silverware, corkscrew, everything you need. My only complaint is: the knives are DULL. Sharpen them!!! Before leaving the States we placed a grocery order to matagrandegrocery.com and the food and beer were properly stowed in the fridge or on the counter. Don't forget to stop by one of the Belize Airport's Duty Free Shop and pick up some premium liquor at a great price. Having Don Patron Anejo ($35) in the freezer was nice. Order the 284 ml Belikin beers - that's about 9 oz a bottle, light and crispy.
The grounds are kept immaculate. There are big fat spoiled iguanas or lizards on steroids or whatever. Don't feed them and they'll ignore you. They don't want you to feed them. Why? B/c then they'll be aggressive in approaching you, and you won't like it. Pool and pool side area are immaculate. The pool guy arrives at first light seven days a week and babies that pool. Totally perfect water. Sand in the pool since it's by the beach, right? Nope, that guy keeps it that clean. There are well-appointed tables on either side of the pool where you can eat your lunch.
There are plenty of good food options. The burgers there are really good. Skip the french fries: they're good, but you get five or six fries for five or six bucks! There are vegan options. O Restaurant was fine. See the lunch and dinner menus on line. The fish was a little dry but I'm in Belize, not Commander's Palace or G W Fins. Deserts were quite good - Key Lime 3 ways was a hoot. All the drinks are fine and fairly priced. We (30 of us) did the buffet at Elvi's and found it delicious! Good margs, too! I found all bartenders eager to please.
Keep in mind you can take a water taxi to San Pedro and walk two blocks to plenty of restaurants. Either hire your own or get the schedule at the desk...water taxis are the mass transit of Ambergris Caye. Aside: I didn't fool with golf carts...didn't feel the need to go anywhere else on wheels.
The beach area is what you would expect at a resort - the chaise loungers are comfortable, you can have one under a palm tree or out is the sunshine. Waiters/waitresses will come by intermittently, but if they don't, get up and get your own drink, it won't hurt you. That's the slow season, baby.
There are sea kayaks and a Hobie catamaran for your use. Some fabulous snorkeling is a 15-minute kayak paddle from your beach. You aim for the white buoys either to the right or left out by the barrier reef, tie up, don the mask and fins you rented for US$10 at the PADI dive shop next door, hop in and lose yourself in another world. Then you get the Hobie cat and sail to your heart's desire. Then start making your dinner plans while you unwind with a nice cool beverage. The wind blows out of the E/NE 10-20 mph every minute of every day from January to mid-June, so there's your sailing/wind forecast.
The best thing about Las Terrazas is the people. The management has done an excellent job of training their employees to work in the hotel/tourist industry. They take pride in their work, and they cater to their guests. I watched the GM and various underlings pitching in to make sure things got done for the wedding. The staff works hard and it shows...by not showing--you are warmly greeted at the water taxi in town, with cool towels and fruit punch upon arrival, at the front desk, and it just gets better. They put effort into making it appear effortless. Perfect!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As one of the newest luxury properties on the island of Ambergris Caye, Las Terrazas is a Preferred Boutique Resort and the only member of Preferred Hotel Group in Belize. Located just 3.5 miles north of San Pedro, Las Terrazas Resort invites you to experience exceptional, spacious townhome-style accommodations and gracious Belizean hospitality at our oceanfront retreat. Situated on one of the most beautiful and secluded private beaches, our Ambergris Caye resort is an exhilarating tropical playground where you can discover Belize; "Mother Nature's best kept secret." Experience world class attractions such as diving and snorkeling, the lavish Serenity Spa and Wellness Center, fishing, zip lining and cave tubing, Mayan Ruins, or relaxing on the beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Low Cost Holidays and Jetsetter so you can book your Las Terrazas Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Terrazas Hotel San Pedro
- Las Terrazas Resort Belize/San Pedro