“Go NOW!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in San Pedro
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Go NOW!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I just returned from vacationing in Belize, and believe me, Las Terrazas is where it's at!! I couldn't have asked for better service. Rooms and grounds were extremely clean, great restaurant on premises, beautiful infinity pool, superb spa--my deep tissue massage had me in an REM state of sleep--seriously, and the staff GLADLY caters to patrons. Jamie, Manuel, Laron and Tracy are ESPECIALLY FANTASTIC and went above and beyond merely being helpful. Their willingness to make me feel at home is to be lauded! They are totally AWESOME!! This resort made a wonderful lasting impression on me! I would CERTAINLY return, and I am over the top/OCD particular, so that is a REALLY big deal coming from me. Book your trip to this AMAAAAZING resort NOW!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I, like many of you, shopped around A LOT, reading reviews, looking for lower prices for various types of places in Ambergris Caye. I was forced finally to settle for LT since everything eventually became way overpriced (I wasn't willing to spend over $400/night and found this deal on Jetsetters for LT) or was way too cheap and below my standard for quality (Pedro's Inn). Upon arrival all of my worries went away. The resort is a bunch of villas so guests tend to mind their own business which was great because I do not like tacky, overly friendly honeymooners or tourists. You get plenty of that on various sightseeing trips. They hook you up with calling water taxis, equipment like hobie cats, bikes, paddle boards, kayaks, excursion bookings, and even in some cases had complimentary service between other resorts where we went to eat. Yes it is far from San Pedro but San Pedro gets old after spending 1 evening there. And everything closes up early in town anyway. Most people do return to their resorts. There is no 'bustling' night life really in Ambergris Caye...it's a small island. I was happy to come home to LT by 9:30-10 each night.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bellevue, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stay away! They have a manager that does not understand that a couple paying $500 US a night does not want to be moved 3 times in one 8 day stay and not be compensated for the inconvenience of their total lack of planning. Also when they say they have internet it is a total lie. Plan on calling the terrible demon manager "Sir David" - Jeez! Help me out with why he is a "Sir", but whatever, just save yourself and go somewhere else that is half the price and half the agony.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LasTerrazasTeam, Director of Sales at Las Terrazas Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at Las Terrazas Resort and the time you took to post your comments. Actually, your review is more of a personal attack on our General Manager and not comments on the property. However, as you took the time to post on Trip Advisor, we thought it only fair that we post as well.

It is not a "lie" that we do not have internet access as you posted. The internet was personally checked by our staff and although there was not a strong wireless signal in the back bedroom of your Penthouse unit, there was signal in the living room, dining room and front master bedroom. Even though there was internet access in your unit, we offered to relocate you to another Penthouse; which had a stronger internet signal. You declined this move and requested a Sea House instead; which we accommodated. Unfortunately, due to an error on our part (in our Houston Reservations Office), the Sea House we moved you to, was previously booked by a group who had reserved 3 Sea Houses next to each other. In an effort to not move you a second time, we asked the group, even though they had a signed Group Contract in place, if we could place part of their party in to another Sea House. They declined.

This type of room assignment error is not our standard practice or routine. However, with any business (or life situation) errors do occur. Even though your demeanor and tone with our General Manager was not professional nor courteous, he attempted to compensate you for being moved two times (not three as you indicated);. As there was internet in your original Penthouse a move was not really necessary. While you had no interest in what our GM offered you, your husband later spoke with him, apologized for your behavior and accepted his offer. Additionally, the rest of the party were fine as well and also sympathetic giving our front desk clerk a cash tip and telling him not to worry about the error.

Lastly, I am almost certain you misunderstood the term of respect that our team addresses our General Manager. He is addressed as "Mr." David and not "Sir" David. This is the manner in which all of our team addresses our Management and Executive Staff. We do not find him to be a "demon" as you categorized him, but an exceptional team member and representative of our company. We are sincerely sorry that you were not able to appreciate him or our front desk clerk that you dealt with. Both are extremely valuable to us.

With all of this said, we do hope you finally were able to enjoy Las Terrazas Resort and the island of Ambergris Caye ... and your dive trips with White Sands Dive Shop.

Regards,

Carolyn Stone
Director of Sales
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was in Belize on a business trip the last week of January and had the good fortune to spend a few days at the Las Terrazas Resort on Ambergris Cay. I stayed in a penthouse unit overlooking the ocean. My work takes me around the world to some rather exotic and remote locations and I have seen all sides of “island life”. I can say with an open mind and heart that Las Terrazas and my short but sweet stay has touched my soul.

Keep in mind that I came to Belize and Ambergris Cay to seriously conduct business. However, I left as refreshed and energized as if I were one of the Guests who came here for exactly the opposite! I can only imagine how recharged I would have felt if I joined them. Let me give you some insight from a World Traveler perspective.

In 2012, I made three trips to Brazil spending over two months of the year down there. The service and food of Las Terrazas rivals the richest bistros of Rio or San Paulo. Based in Florida, I thrive in the warmer tropical weather. The warm beaches at Las Terrazas are the cleanest and most inviting I have ever seen. The water was clear as gin and the perfect temperature. Arriving by boat, I had a chance to see the shoreline and get a glimpse of the island community. The “Welcome” started at the dock, carried on to the check-in, continued on for the next three days, and I still felt it as we cast off to catch the plane for home!

The service is the heart-felt attention we got from the staff. The food? Why that could very well be what makes or breaks the deal, right? Well, not to worry, there are no disappointments here! The sight that grabbed me was the “O” restaurant at the end of the long central swimming pool. I have never seen or enjoyed the experience of dining surrounded by water while still on land! Yes! The “O” sits in its own pool of water! With fountain streams coming right out of the wall! How cool is that?! The Food and Circus are a “10 +”! Who would seriously expect this level of Gourmand here? Chef Patrick does not disappoint! To see me is to know I am a connoisseur and my meals at the “O” were an epicurean delight! Try it for yourself and see how right I am.

The layout of the resort made it easy to navigate and the views were fantastic. as a matter of fact I sat in several locations from my room, to the restaurant and pool, then out to the beach and everyplace offered a memorable view. I am a critical traveler and look at details most would overlook. Entering my room the first thing I noticed was the quality of the solid wood door and the hardware. The quality of construction was remarkable and not often found in populated areas, yet alone on an island! The rooms were tastefully decorated and appointed, again not normally the case. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the room was of good size. The unit has a fully furnished "American Sized" kitchen with top quality appliances. Just like home! The TV and cable worked flawlessly and I felt at home. The furniture was solid wood and of high quality. Not the cheap stuff you would expect to find in normal hotels and resorts!

Walking around and getting a feel for Las Terrazas, I continued to examine the details. I actually went looking for flaws and expected to make a list. By the end of day one I found nothing of significance and my overall opinion grew stronger. My mission was business and I needed to get back to work, but I picked up some information to get better acquainted with the property and its potential as a vacation and possibly vacation home. I really enjoyed my stay on Ambergris Cay and Las Terrazas makes me want to return and experience more!

The time was way too short but my next visit will be for pleasure. (My Wife has informed me so! LOL!) I am filled with anticipation to have her experience the same professional World Class hospitality. Las Terrazas made an indelible impression on me and I will carry this experience with me for life!

Cheers!

Marc

Room Tip: From what I saw, all the rooms look to have great views so room selection is not an issue.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Laz Terrazas is a one of a kind resort. This past November I was married on the beach of their resort. The resort helped make use special day extra memorable. From the day we booked our wedding to the day they dropped us off to go home they went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. The "O" restaurant had wonderful food for each time of day. One of my favorite accommodations was to have the opportunity to have a peaceful breakfast poolside every morning.
I would say that Laz Terrazas is a little on the pricey side but with the service that is provided you never feel like you paid too much. Yes, I am sure you could find a resort that is cheaper...but I am not sure you could find the same service for a cheaper price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
McLean, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My daughter, the bride, wrote the review preceding this one, and I am chiming in to echo all her commendations from the older generation viewpoint and to add a few notes others may find useful when deciding on their destination wedding location. Emily and her fiance wanted a setting and event that was beautiful but not as formal as an indoor city wedding might be. Manager Ovel Leonardo and Chef Patrick have the materials, set-up, food choices and 'props' to deliver just the ambiance and comfort we wanted. They also had even more elaborate options we did not choose, but that others may enjoy to dress up their event.

The planning for the far-away ceremony was led by Carolyn Stone the sales manager [based in Houston] who worked with us on every detail and all the steps of the 'choreography' for the ceremony and reception in coordination with the team at the hotel. Together they made suggestions for the setup and menus and specified the wide range of available food and supplies - always with several options and clear pricing attached. The bridal couple had a particular style of event in mind and a firm preference for local ingredients and flowers; they quickly shaped a menu of food and a menu of events that fit perfectly. No additional wedding planner is needed: the photo music and other services are identified by the Las Terrazas team for you to choose from and coordinated with the events.
Carolyn and Ovel were just as helpful in identifying other local locations where we entertained for pre-wedding events and they helped us make the arrangements with those establishments including getting all 52 of us there. You will never have that uncomfortable traveler's feeling that Las Terrazas is looking for the maximum dollar from you. Our bride and groom had a budget they informed the planners about at the beginning; all the choices presented were offered in that context and, when they wanted a more expensive item, Carolyn and her team found them lower-cost-but-just-fine choices for other items so the events all balanced out. There were no surprises.

Of course, the event wasn't only the celebration and ceremony, but rather a multi-day vacation for family and friends; Las Terrazas staff made the transfers to the hotel easy, the White Sands Dive center set up several well-run snorkeling trips for the whole group and also for smaller groups. Some of us were very "busy" lounging by the pool and on the beach where Manuel and his serving staff make sure you never have to put up with a wet towel or get thirsty or hungry. Others exercised or made excursions into the tiny town of San Pedro. Some even kept up with the US football championship games in the outdoor bar and reception area. From the family's point of view- I was amazed and gratified to discover that the front desk staff could tell me at any time whether any of our 48 guests had left for an outing, was on the beach and could let me know when some were in search of company for an expedition of some kind. They never forgot anyone's name, always found ways to be helpful as well as welcoming. Everyone spoke good English and most spoke Spanish. We needed both.

In summary from the parental point of view: you can count on this team to plan with your bride and groom, deliver more than you hope for and take care of you, the couple and your guests with warm, thoughtful service and support. You truly will have little to do but pay attention to your family and enjoy yourself. We travel a lot; the service this team has delivered is what would be expected in a 5-star resort in the most demanding cities in the world, but is not so common and especially not in small resorts in remote locations. Las Terrazas is a star.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I initially was going to hold off on writing this review until I could think of an appropriately eloquent description of this resort, its staff, and the dream vacation Las Terrazas provided for more than 50 of my most loved ones. But I would be unable to list all the all the dedicated staff and elements of wedding planning and fun needed to give all the credit that is due here so I am going to opt for writing what I can while it is still fresh. I hope management reads this review and understands how very very appreciated their team on the ground in Belize is. Top notch.

Even if we hadn't just hosted a big event there and just gone on vacation, I would write an effusive review here. The fact this was a vacation combined with the wedding just showcased what a magical spot this was, because from what I've heard every single one of us in attendance (occupying the majority of the resort) had a blast and felt spoiled. We visited the resort last May before deciding on it as the location for our January 20 destination wedding. We thought it was great then, but somehow it managed to be even better the second visit with all our friends and family. If you are a bride and/or groom and considering this a location for your wedding, do not hesitate. Carolyn Stone (based in the US office) made the process of planning not only easy but fun for our families. I cannot say enough good things about her and her talents in making a dream wedding come true. She was so attentive and answered emails normally within minutes and gave great advice. Lorraine (who handles reservations and is also in the US) helped all our guests through a fairly complicated booking process with many dates involving travel from several countries. Once we were all at Las Terrazas the real fun began.

Every single staff person we encountered was warm, gracious, and beyond helpful. Our friends kept coming up and saying to us how nice the Las Terrazas staff were, and how welcome they were made to feel. The word "paradise" was used many times by our guests (and my husband and I). There is so much to do on Ambergris Caye, but the beach and pool are so gorgeous it is tempting just to stay at the resort. Associate General Manager Ovel is the master of making it all happen once you get to the resort, and you can tell he has vast experience in making these events go off flawlessly and making all the nervous hosts feel totally at ease. He is a pro. He saw to every detail plus some we wouldn't have thought of for the entire week we had guests at the resort. He and his team made everything better than we even asked for or imagined was possible. Curl who also helped manage all the logistics for our fairly large party was wonderful, as was Manuel at the front desk. Also Manuel at O restaurant was so kind and dedicated to making everybody happy and satisfied (even when 40 of us inundated the restaurant all at once with out reservations....Manuel, Chef Nolvin wonderful coworkers at O just rolled with it even though I'm sure this could not have been easy to deal with!). He was there for all of our catered events and kept making sure everybody was fed and happy and relaxed.

We had several events (a welcome cocktail hour, a rehersal dinner at another restaurant, a snorkel trip and the wedding and morning after breakfast) and Carolyn and Ovel helped us make it all happen and everybody had so much fun. We had lots of questions as we planned the wedding and when we first got there and nobody made us feel like a bother even though I know we must have taken a lot of their time. Chef Patrick has done an outstanding job with the "regular menu" as well as the catering menu that he let us customize to fit our tastes. Every peace of fish we had at O was fresh and delicious -- we didn't have one disappointing meal the entire time we were there. The food at the wedding itself was also delicious and fresh and made our guests quite happy. Drinks were excellent. I have nothing but good things to say here. Since we were there so long we also enjoyed walking over to Rendezvous next door for a few meals to indulge in their fabulous Thai food -- between Rendenvous and O you could stay at Las Terrazas for a long time and be impressed get to try something new every night if you wish.

We had so so so much fun (blue hole, pool, friends, dancing, eating what is not to love?). We felt really special and so did our family and from what I've been told guests. We danced late into the night at the wedding on the beach looking up at the stars. Do not hesitate to experience this resort for yourself for a casual vacation or a wedding. As one of our guests said, "if you don't love this place and have fun that's on you." I wish I could mention everybody who made this such a special trip for us here that works at Las Terrazas but the list would be too long -- they and their beautiful property have truly hit the mark. Bravo to you all for being so good at your jobs and bringing so much happiness to so many! This was an absolutely fabulous vacation and the only thing I'm mad about is that we had to leave.

PS: For Divers, White Sands dive shop is right next door and is fabulous. Also, the hair and makeup Carolyn and Ovel arranged was great -- I'm a little picky about what I like and they worked with me and we all felt great.

Room Tip: I believe I have seen almost all the room types of the property, and there really isn't a bad ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Las Terrazas Resort? Share your experiences!