“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Laz Terrazas is a one of a kind resort. This past November I was married on the beach of their resort. The resort helped make use special day extra memorable. From the day we booked our wedding to the day they dropped us off to go home they went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. The "O" restaurant had wonderful food for each time of day. One of my favorite accommodations was to have the opportunity to have a peaceful breakfast poolside every morning.
I would say that Laz Terrazas is a little on the pricey side but with the service that is provided you never feel like you paid too much. Yes, I am sure you could find a resort that is cheaper...but I am not sure you could find the same service for a cheaper price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

418 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
McLean, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My daughter, the bride, wrote the review preceding this one, and I am chiming in to echo all her commendations from the older generation viewpoint and to add a few notes others may find useful when deciding on their destination wedding location. Emily and her fiance wanted a setting and event that was beautiful but not as formal as an indoor city wedding might be. Manager Ovel Leonardo and Chef Patrick have the materials, set-up, food choices and 'props' to deliver just the ambiance and comfort we wanted. They also had even more elaborate options we did not choose, but that others may enjoy to dress up their event.

The planning for the far-away ceremony was led by Carolyn Stone the sales manager [based in Houston] who worked with us on every detail and all the steps of the 'choreography' for the ceremony and reception in coordination with the team at the hotel. Together they made suggestions for the setup and menus and specified the wide range of available food and supplies - always with several options and clear pricing attached. The bridal couple had a particular style of event in mind and a firm preference for local ingredients and flowers; they quickly shaped a menu of food and a menu of events that fit perfectly. No additional wedding planner is needed: the photo music and other services are identified by the Las Terrazas team for you to choose from and coordinated with the events.
Carolyn and Ovel were just as helpful in identifying other local locations where we entertained for pre-wedding events and they helped us make the arrangements with those establishments including getting all 52 of us there. You will never have that uncomfortable traveler's feeling that Las Terrazas is looking for the maximum dollar from you. Our bride and groom had a budget they informed the planners about at the beginning; all the choices presented were offered in that context and, when they wanted a more expensive item, Carolyn and her team found them lower-cost-but-just-fine choices for other items so the events all balanced out. There were no surprises.

Of course, the event wasn't only the celebration and ceremony, but rather a multi-day vacation for family and friends; Las Terrazas staff made the transfers to the hotel easy, the White Sands Dive center set up several well-run snorkeling trips for the whole group and also for smaller groups. Some of us were very "busy" lounging by the pool and on the beach where Manuel and his serving staff make sure you never have to put up with a wet towel or get thirsty or hungry. Others exercised or made excursions into the tiny town of San Pedro. Some even kept up with the US football championship games in the outdoor bar and reception area. From the family's point of view- I was amazed and gratified to discover that the front desk staff could tell me at any time whether any of our 48 guests had left for an outing, was on the beach and could let me know when some were in search of company for an expedition of some kind. They never forgot anyone's name, always found ways to be helpful as well as welcoming. Everyone spoke good English and most spoke Spanish. We needed both.

In summary from the parental point of view: you can count on this team to plan with your bride and groom, deliver more than you hope for and take care of you, the couple and your guests with warm, thoughtful service and support. You truly will have little to do but pay attention to your family and enjoy yourself. We travel a lot; the service this team has delivered is what would be expected in a 5-star resort in the most demanding cities in the world, but is not so common and especially not in small resorts in remote locations. Las Terrazas is a star.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I initially was going to hold off on writing this review until I could think of an appropriately eloquent description of this resort, its staff, and the dream vacation Las Terrazas provided for more than 50 of my most loved ones. But I would be unable to list all the all the dedicated staff and elements of wedding planning and fun needed to give all the credit that is due here so I am going to opt for writing what I can while it is still fresh. I hope management reads this review and understands how very very appreciated their team on the ground in Belize is. Top notch.

Even if we hadn't just hosted a big event there and just gone on vacation, I would write an effusive review here. The fact this was a vacation combined with the wedding just showcased what a magical spot this was, because from what I've heard every single one of us in attendance (occupying the majority of the resort) had a blast and felt spoiled. We visited the resort last May before deciding on it as the location for our January 20 destination wedding. We thought it was great then, but somehow it managed to be even better the second visit with all our friends and family. If you are a bride and/or groom and considering this a location for your wedding, do not hesitate. Carolyn Stone (based in the US office) made the process of planning not only easy but fun for our families. I cannot say enough good things about her and her talents in making a dream wedding come true. She was so attentive and answered emails normally within minutes and gave great advice. Lorraine (who handles reservations and is also in the US) helped all our guests through a fairly complicated booking process with many dates involving travel from several countries. Once we were all at Las Terrazas the real fun began.

Every single staff person we encountered was warm, gracious, and beyond helpful. Our friends kept coming up and saying to us how nice the Las Terrazas staff were, and how welcome they were made to feel. The word "paradise" was used many times by our guests (and my husband and I). There is so much to do on Ambergris Caye, but the beach and pool are so gorgeous it is tempting just to stay at the resort. Associate General Manager Ovel is the master of making it all happen once you get to the resort, and you can tell he has vast experience in making these events go off flawlessly and making all the nervous hosts feel totally at ease. He is a pro. He saw to every detail plus some we wouldn't have thought of for the entire week we had guests at the resort. He and his team made everything better than we even asked for or imagined was possible. Curl who also helped manage all the logistics for our fairly large party was wonderful, as was Manuel at the front desk. Also Manuel at O restaurant was so kind and dedicated to making everybody happy and satisfied (even when 40 of us inundated the restaurant all at once with out reservations....Manuel, Chef Nolvin wonderful coworkers at O just rolled with it even though I'm sure this could not have been easy to deal with!). He was there for all of our catered events and kept making sure everybody was fed and happy and relaxed.

We had several events (a welcome cocktail hour, a rehersal dinner at another restaurant, a snorkel trip and the wedding and morning after breakfast) and Carolyn and Ovel helped us make it all happen and everybody had so much fun. We had lots of questions as we planned the wedding and when we first got there and nobody made us feel like a bother even though I know we must have taken a lot of their time. Chef Patrick has done an outstanding job with the "regular menu" as well as the catering menu that he let us customize to fit our tastes. Every peace of fish we had at O was fresh and delicious -- we didn't have one disappointing meal the entire time we were there. The food at the wedding itself was also delicious and fresh and made our guests quite happy. Drinks were excellent. I have nothing but good things to say here. Since we were there so long we also enjoyed walking over to Rendezvous next door for a few meals to indulge in their fabulous Thai food -- between Rendenvous and O you could stay at Las Terrazas for a long time and be impressed get to try something new every night if you wish.

We had so so so much fun (blue hole, pool, friends, dancing, eating what is not to love?). We felt really special and so did our family and from what I've been told guests. We danced late into the night at the wedding on the beach looking up at the stars. Do not hesitate to experience this resort for yourself for a casual vacation or a wedding. As one of our guests said, "if you don't love this place and have fun that's on you." I wish I could mention everybody who made this such a special trip for us here that works at Las Terrazas but the list would be too long -- they and their beautiful property have truly hit the mark. Bravo to you all for being so good at your jobs and bringing so much happiness to so many! This was an absolutely fabulous vacation and the only thing I'm mad about is that we had to leave.

PS: For Divers, White Sands dive shop is right next door and is fabulous. Also, the hair and makeup Carolyn and Ovel arranged was great -- I'm a little picky about what I like and they worked with me and we all felt great.

Room Tip: I believe I have seen almost all the room types of the property, and there really isn't a bad ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I marked our honeymoon and birthdays with a 9 day trip to this amazing property. We have been nearly all over the world and have never experienced the extraordinary perfection of this trip to Belize and Las Terrazas. We rented a sea house and found the accomodations and people over the top gorgeous and helpful. If you're looking to be pampered amidst the beauty of Central America and choose to delight in the property and local beaches or restaurants, or take incredible excursions to the blue hole, private islands, ruins, zipline, cave tube, then this is the place. This is the place for romance, privacy (if you choose), and amazing service. The "O" restaurant was one of the best on the island and we ate there near daily. You will meet the amazing staff there like Dave and Curl and Manuel and Sully and Jessica and JoAnn and Tory and Nigel. You can walk a few steps away and eat at Rendevous where you'll meet Glenn and Coleen and dine on incredible Thai and French cuisine. You can remain private and alone without any intrusion, or you can spend some time easily engaging with others at the pool or bar or restaurant. The white sandy beaches are beautiful and we had sun everyday. You can be as relaxed or as active as you choose as there is much within the island and mainland. We walked away with 7 emails and have been back one day and heard from 4/7 people! We werendipitously attended a benefit for the local school and had a wonderful time playing and dancing with the locals on San Pedro. We have now decided that since this vacation was perfect and offered everything, we will be making this our one and only future vacation spot.

Room Tip: Sea houses were extraordinary and because they offer washer/dryer in your unit, we were able to trav...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We took our family of 8 to this resort for the week after Christmas. We loved it and all of us had a fabulous time. The 2 college age grand children and the 1 teenage grandchild had plenty to do as did the 5 adults. The 6 who went snorkeling on the reef declared it better than the Great Barrier Reef they snorkeled in 2007. The meals were wonderful and we thought reasonably priced, all the staff wre friendly and helpful, and the accommodations outstanding. We recommend it for families and for adults. By renting 1 2 bedroom and 1 3 bedroom villa everyone had their own room which added to our comfort level. We never left the property to go into town because we were so relaxed and happy right there. The ocean swimming was good because the area of the dock was kept free of sea grass and was roped off so you didn't get into where there was grass. The saltwater pool was very clean and the pool area kept spotless in spite of the fact that all meals were served at tables around the pool. The grandchildren enjoyed the free use of the kayaks and rented snorkeling equipment from the next door dive shop to go out on their own. There was a place to tie up the kayak and the snorkel on your own. All in all this was a great vacation for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Travel is a matter of having expectations-- not too high, not too low, having some pleasant experinces, and meeting some great people.
The property, Las Terrazas, is brand new: it is clean, the restaurant is good, your room will be nice. The wait staff are attentive. However, like all "resorts", you're a little locked in: after day 2-3 you're 1) a little bored with the menu, 2) realize you didn't bring enough US dollars at the ATM in San Pedro or from the USA 3) realize there are no real "roads" and you either have to take water taxis (eat up US dollars) or rent a golf cart (didn't know that till I got there). You can walk along the coastline, too. 4) and you think, do I really have to be served by the same waiter again? He/She must think I am a G L U T T O N 'cause here I am again 3 hours after breakfast...

The front desk staff are sometimes hit or miss in their recommendations for a restaurant (wasted more money on a water taxi!) and sent us the wrong direction for a store to buy a gallon of water: Hint, specifically ask for Marta's grocery store, or order from her online ahead of time to have some water and beer put in your room fridge before you arrive! You should not drink the tap water in your room.

It is true about "water bugs" in the bathrooms in the middle of the night. Another reviewer referred to them as roaches, but I do think they are water bugs that crawl up the drain pipe. It's the tropics, what are you gonna do?

The website shows a fitness room with a bike/treadmill. They no longer have any fitness equipment (...other than mother Nature!) on site. They said they need to remove that from the web site.

So, to get back to expectations--- if you are a non - snorkeler non-fisherman non- avid boatsman, I would say, save the expense, and the extra flight, and visit the Florida Keys for a similar experience--- but for a lot less expense. The stark contrast between the levels of service of what the resorts are trying to achieve, and what your wait staff, after serving you your nice dinner, go home to (walking or biking along the coastline in the dark) is for me, jarring. Just realize, you are in for the "resort" experience, pack twice as much money, half your clothes (there's washer and dryer in unit), lay back and look at the water.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Richardson, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Villas are very nice, friendly staff. Service was slow at O, but food good. Just be prepared for a lot of boat taxi rides. Curl at the front desk was very helpful. There is a lot to do. I would highly recommend the reef fishing and snorkling. We brought our catch back to the hotel and the chef prepared an incredile meal for us! Belize is a very interesting place. I would like to visit again.

Room Tip: We stayed in 104 Sea House which was steps from the beach. Could not have been a better location...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Las Terrazas Resort? Share your experiences!