“I'm not sure where to begin with this review ? Mayor of the Dock” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 30% OFF
Ranked #17 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
SAN DIEGO
“I'm not sure where to begin with this review ? Mayor of the Dock”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I have traveled extensively throughout the world, the Caribbean and Bahamas having fun and looking for investment properties. I recently left Nassau after issues didn't work out. It was the best thing that didn't work out for me now in retrospect.

Coco Beach Resort and Hotel on Ambergris Caye are unique, diverse and offer anything you might want.

I am a bit prejudiced regarding Coco Beach Resort. I arrived for only a few days and stayed for nearly 60 days, much to the amusement of the staff.

There are beautiful reefs, caves, jungles, lagoons and a beautiful quaint cobblestone lined group of streets in the main, (Only) town, San Pedro.. Great restaurants for everyone's budget and taste, most overlooking the ocean. When is the last time you sat at a dinner table and had a 4 foot long Tarpon fish grab a small offering of sardine while leaping out of the water? Crazy fun.

The people are all wonderful. Travel is by golf cart, (An insanely great fun adventure)down a back road, or water taxi's which stop at every dock when you switch a light on indicating that you need a ride 'somewhere'? All are great fun.

The diving, snorkeling or just swimming in the huge pools with rocks to dive off of are insanely fun along with an interior rock slide that throws you into the deep pool at rocket speed. You don't really need to even leave the resort. There are several good restaurants within walking distance or by water taxi.

The rooms are impeccable with new stainless steel appliances, great beds, ( I say "beds" because I was moved 4 or 5 times due to the length of my stay. All upgrades! The rooms are all done with native hardwoods, mahogony and more. Air conditioning is TOO great and fans are everywhere. You will not find more beautiful showers anywhere. All custom made.

From day one everyone knew me by my first name. As I staggered from my Casita early in the morning to jump into the pool someone would happily say, "Good morning Mr. Mark". I'd just glare at them and wonder why they were so darn cheerful at that hour. Perhaps they hadn't been at the pool bar the night before?

Housekeeping personel were fantastic each day. The dishes are cleaned and stored, all towels are replaced daily as is your bedding. Floors and patios all mopped and cleaned.

Finally about the 'other' staff. What a mess. Mikey who provides horrible tricks daily at the bar.( I taught him a few), Joseph "Will Smith", Enrique the quiet professional who kept stealing my girlfriends. Leon ....All great guys......breakfast is the 'Dirty Banana'. It's a must at any hour and not to be missed.

To the beautiful Tania who runs the bar, what can I say? Not much. Fernando would kick my butt. What a great couple. I hope to be there for their wedding.

This is a first class resort with great guests and staff. I made many friends and am still in touch with them. Oregon, Texas, Arizona, Las Vegas and more. (I'm from San Diego). We are all trading email and photos.

I will be back in December for Christmas and New Years. As a side note; Mikey you WILL end up in the pool this time. You're a quick little dude but we'll get you this time.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Eric the General Manager, Jane, (I don't know what the heck she does), but she does it well, Actually I think she runs the whole place.

Eric, thank you for all of your help along with Doug's. (I still have my Passport).

Eric is the consumate GM of a group of resorts, accomodating all of the guests regardless of them being a pain. (Me) You became a true friend and we shared some very fun times.

Laraina and all of the staff that treats everyone so well, again I can't thank them all.. We had a lot of fun. Oh I almost forgot Scott, "Hi Honey".... and also Don who banged on my door each morning because I'd unplugged my phone unnecessarily for Internet service which worked great by the way, wireless or wired. It's always nice to be woken each day while you are on holiday by an IT guy checking on your phone? Like I'm expecting calls? (Hang in there Don, you were a big help to me)

Karina you were wonderful and a pleasure to harrass daily.

If I missed anyone I apologize. I didn't meet anyone that was less than wonderful and professional.

Mayor of the Dock ~ (Someone named me that as each evening we'd all go to the end of a 100 foot dock, lay on our backs have cocktails and gaze at the amazing star shows and tell lies)

Bye for now,

Bruce Willis

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

734 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Corozal Town, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

Stayed with my husband, mom & two sisters. The suite was excellent, the service was great and the only negative thing I can think of to say is that they don't have a restaurant on-site. They are within walking distance of several good restaurants though, so no big deal. I highly recommend them!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

I would tell anyone planning a vacation to Belize to stay at Coco Beach. Not only was the hotel amazing but the all the staff were very friendly and attentive...from the moment we arrived they met us at the dock with drinks to welcome us. San Pedro is beautiful and this hotel and their staff made us feel like we were in Paradise!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

We stayed at Coco Beach in a casita and had a wonderful time. There were only about 22 other people staying that week so we received their undivided attention. Never heard (or saw) any construction noises. Didn't think that highly of next doors Upper Deck restaurant, but only ate there once kind of late, and ordered breakfast from them the first day (they forgot the eggs). The Tuff E Nuff water taxi has a very limited time schedule, you may want to rent a golf cart for a couple of days. You are 3.5 miles from town and if you do rent a golf cart, beware it takes a good 1/2 hour, and the road is like a mine field (I wouldn't attempt driving on it at night). For dining, make sure you have the pulled pork sandwich at Wild Mango's, the seafood burrito at Waruguma's, a drink at the Palapa bar and dinner at Rendevous'. There are a lot more great places to recommend but we found these to be outstanding. We enjoyed staying at Coco Beach very much, but ended buying time share at Captain Morgans (check it out).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

We honeymooned on Ambergris Caye in August and had a wonderful trip. One tip up front - grab a map from Tropic Air while you are at the airport - it was the best and most useful map of Ambergris Caye and San Pedro that we could find and we held onto it the whole time.

We stayed in one of the oceanfront suites. We were on the first floor (A-2, I believe) so ours had a fantastic large front (covered) porch with steps that led directly onto the beach. We had a beautiful unobstructed view of the beach, dock and ocean from the living room and kitchen of our suite. The master bedroom was large with a comfy bed. The master bath was awesome - loved the dual-head shower.

We took advantage of Lagniappe, a grocery stocking service on Ambergris Caye, and arrived to a fully stocked room - - snacks, breakfast food and lots of Belikin, liquor and mixers. Highly recommended if your suite has a kitchen, or even just a fridge. Very glad we decided to order ahead of time - the service was convenient and we really enjoyed having breakfast and happy hour on our front porch.

Resort-wise, we thoroughly enjoyed the pool - it’s a huge, beautiful setup with plenty of comfortable chairs, umbrellas and shallow places in the pool to lounge. We only had a few drinks at the hotel bar, but they were pretty good. They did not have any problem with people bringing their own drinks out to the pool (just no glass), so we typically took advantage of that and brought drinks from our room.

We rented both a golf cart and bikes from Coco Beach - both were fun and great for getting oriented on the island and learning where things are, especially since the entrances to many places are beach side (you can ride the bikes on the beach). For the most part, however, we relied on water taxi for transportation heading both north and south. We didn’t buy a pass, but we should have.

Food wise, we really enjoyed eating all over the island. Most nights took a water taxi into San Pedro, though there are several good restaurants within walking distance of the resort. We enjoyed meals at Elvi’s, Wild Mangos, Rendevous, Capricorn (romantic ocean front seating), and Mambo. We visited a lot of bars in San Pedro and had a good time at all of them. Definitely recommend a visit to The Palapa Bar - it’s a big open-air type shack directly over the ocean.... walkable/bikable from Coco Beach and really fun. The only meal we didn’t really enjoy was from Upper Deck, the restaurant at the resort next door to Coco Beach - it was just okay.

For excursions/activities, we mainly explored on our own, but we did take advantage of Tuff-E-Nuff Tours through Belizean Shores/Coco Beach to book a Catamaran tour that took us on a day-long sailing trip with several snorkeling stops and a stop at Caye Caulker. It was great! We also used the free kayaks offered by Coco Beach.

Overall, it was a fun, memorable, relaxing trip and I would definitely return to Ambergris Caye and Coco Beach Resort.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

Every person on the staff was nice, smiling & helpful! My cleaning lady made every detail perfect. I kept a towel by the front door and bedside, she replaced them with a bathmat every day! The pool was always crystal clear! Bartenders they would grab towels for us, bring us cups & staws for our own drinks.... I stayed in room A2 beach front (30 feet from the ocean) ground floor, beautiful art work on the walls, and amazing views from all windows!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Coco Beach made our vacation in Belize. Starting before we left, they contacted us through email to help arrange transportation from Belize City to San Pedro and then on to the resort. We arranged our own flight at the International Airport to take advantage of the cash discount on Maya Island Air and had to take a flight about 45 minutes later than originally expected. The hotel was still able to know when we were landing and meet us at the airport to get our bags and take us to the water taxi. We arrived and were greeted with Rum Punch and a very easy check-in process. Great start to a great stay.
Our room exceeded our expectations. We stayed in B5 which is one of the 2 Bd Penthouse rooms overlooking the beach. Price was too good to pass up during low season. The room was incredible and the staff worked hard to keep the room looking perfect throughout our stay. Full kitchen, which we took advantage of for breakfast and lunch most days.
The pool is definitely the best we saw anywhere. We did the slide and jumped off the rock like we were 10 year olds. Larry kept it looking spectacular also. Now on to the tips for the trip.
It was low season so we found out the hard way that some restaurants closer to the resort are closed during this time. I would recommend calling or having the front desk call the restaurant before you start the walk or ride there.
The resort is north of the city by a ways, so I would recommend getting groceries for your stay. And since lugging lots of grocery bags for 4 people from the city didn't sound all that fun, I pre-ordered them from Mata Grande. What a great service!! We arrived to a kitchen already stocked with food and cold Belekins in the fridge. A great way to save some money too as restaurants around the resort can be expensive.
We took advantage of the free kayaks next door at Belizean Shores to go out to the snorkeling buoys. Great fun and the staff there was great. The Upper Deck restaurant there serves decent food and is average priced for San Pedro. Best part though is they get their ice cream from DandE's in town.
The bar there is a nice place. It is an expensive place to drink however. So we were glad for our fridge stocked with beer. The bartenders are great though. Very nice and helpful.
Since it’s almost 4 miles north of town, the options to get to town were water taxis, bikes or golf carts. We tried all 3 options. If you like to go out at night, I would get the week pass from the water taxis as it’s the quickest route to town, but you run on their schedule. If you have 4 people and will only go into town say 3 or 4 times, it’s actually easier and cheaper to get a private water taxi and then they are on your schedule. Riding bikes on the beach was a great experience too. All I can say about the golf carts, is what an adventure. The road, more like a dirt path, is bumpy and covered in water in a few places. But was great fun to get there and make a few stops along the way (Akbol and Palapa Bar are must stops).
Be sure to bring some bug spray, a headlamp, and sunscreen.
Overall, would go and stay there again in a second and we were all very sad to leave. Thanks to them for everything.

• Stayed October 2010

Been to Coco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!