“Belizean Birthday Bliss” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Chicago, Illinois
“Belizean Birthday Bliss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I booked this trip as a last minute birthday getaway from the city. I traveled by myself and booked on Orbitz. I was a little shaken up when I landed in Belize City and learned that I need to book and take another flight to San Pedro on Ambergris Island. I assumed all my travel arrangements were made on Orbitz. Luckily I was able to book a last minute flight on Tropic Air (their last flight of the day, 5pm). Once I landed, everything else was handled for me. The resort had transportation via a taxi set up to take me to their own water taxi. It was then about 10 min boat ride on the water taxi to the resort. I was met by Zobey, who gave me a tour of the grounds, map, and was there for the duration of my trip for any of my needs. I had mentioned to her in passing that I was there for my 30th birthday and the following day my room and grounds around my Casita were decorated. It was very sweet and nice to be remembered on my birthday so far away from home.
I didn't realize at the time, but I had booked a Casita, which literally means "little home/house." It was amazing, I can't tell you how beautiful and indulgent it felt to have my own house on the resort. Seriously, the only way to go, or once you go Casita, you can't go back! Everyone knew my name, said hello, and offered help at all times. I felt totally safe.
I would recommend buying snacks in the city otherwise food on the Island gets expensive fast! Also, citronella candles for your TWO decks and bug spray because some of the restaurants on the island are outside and mosquitoes are pesky.
Deon and Joe will take great care of you at the bar, but you can also have your own alcohol in plastic glasses (provided in my casita) by the pool.
I didn't do any excursions, but I indulged in two deep tissue massages that I was able to have right on my porch. Karen was on time, and so sweet. I went right after Thanksgiving (1st week of December) and it was the perfect time to go. Sometimes I had the pool all to myself!
It was a great place to escape the fast pace of the city and reconnect to me! Thanks for the amazing trip!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We decided to have Thanksgiving on the beach with only immmediate family and relax.
Great decision, great service and very relaxing. Make sure you bring Off for night time if the wind isn't blowing the mosquito's get pretty bad. You can rent a golf cart for transportation or use the water taxi's. We used a golf cart for convenience. We went to the bakery in San Pedro every morning. Just go over the bridge and follow the smell the to the fresh baked goodies.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the beach make sure you request it. Some rooms are behind others going b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mason
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Belize, while staying at Coco Beach Resort. We stayed nine nights. The resort is fabulous--beautiful, clean, has modern amenities, within convenient walking distance to many nice restaurants! The staff is the friendliest we have EVER encountered in over 20 years of travelling. Many of the staff members (like Dion) were calling us by our first names after meeting us for the first time, and become like long-lost friends in only a matter of minutes.

The island of Ambergris Caye is an unusual mix of exotic Central American charm and Caribbean beauty.

The locals are, like many Central Americans, exceptionally friendly and humorous.

We loved every minute of our visit in Belize, and our stay at Coco Beach Resort. We WILL return for another visit in the future, and we will hope to stay at Coco Beach Resort.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We just returned from a great trip to Belize, and a nice stay at Coco Beach Resort. The facilities are beautiful, and the staff are excellent. You will find the bar staff to be friendly, fun, and a great source of information. Deon, Milton, and Michael did a nice job keeping our drinks filled and a smile on our faces.

You will find the rooms clean, comfortable, and stocked with the items you need. We stayed in the hotel section where each room has a coffee maker, microwave, and mini-fridge stocked with bottled water. Each room has a large balcony looking out on the pool.

Water Taxi: The hotel has a water taxi running guests to San Pedro. The cost is $5US / person each way. They also offer a 5 day pass for $30/ person, allowing unlimited trips for those who want to spend evenings in town. If you enjoy walking it is a nice trip into town, which is about 3.5 miles. If you are not up to the return trip you can take the water taxi back.

Bug Bites: For those who are new to the San Pedro area, plan to use repellant. Everyone has an opinion on the best approach, but the locals recommend using baby oil on ankles and arms, along with repellant (i.e. Off / Deet / Skin-so-soft). This approach seemed to work best for us. If you are someone who attracts mosquitoes, don't forget to pack repellant and something to sooth the bites you will get.

Room Tip: All rooms in the hotel face the pool, and all others face the ocean. Pick your room based on number...
allendale, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Very nice resort..ofcourse with the BACHELOR filmed there..it's gotta be for obvious reasons. Larry, Elder and Marcus and Zoby and Deon were cool people. The rooms were always cleaned and neat.
Can't wait for their newest Italian restaurant to be opened REAL SOON.and hopefully, we can speak to GARY once again and get the place that we loved. Second floor beach front..HA!
Pools were to die for, grounds were real exotic...and cant wait for the newest 5 star hotel to open next to it...(in 4 to 5 yrs).
This is our 2nd trip to Ambergis..and first time to stay at Coco beach..will come back for our annual thanksgiving holiday next yr.

Room Tip: if you got the $$$ spend spend spend!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Angleton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

We loved Coco Beach from the minute we got out of the water taxi. Zoby was there with warm towels, tour, and drinks! Our room E4 took our breath away, absolutely beautiful. Our room was kept spotless everyday. Our view of the pool and beach was gorgeous. Milton and Deion were delightful at the swim up bar, very warm and friendly. Best Banana Drinks Ever! The grounds were emaculate, thanks to Juan and crew. Billy at Tuff e Nuff tours was great getting us organized on our excursions. Our snorkeling trip was great, I got to pet an manaray and shark! Jorge was a wonderful guide for our Zip Line and (must do) cave tubing. The restaurant is not open yet, the restaurant next door is open and quick walk over and they deliver also. We packed our snacks and took golf cart ( would not recommend the golf cart ride, potholes are deep and full of water) to town, there is a nice store to get a few groceries. There are several restaurants within walking distance. I really liked O's! The food at all the places were good. We loved it and can not wait to go back again.

• Stayed November 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I traveled with another couple and shared an ocean view two bedroom suite # D4 if I remember correctly.

The room was spacius and well equiped. The pool, A/C, kitchen, bathrooms and view from the balcony were all amazing. Upon our arrival we were imediately greated with a cool towel, cold beverage and sweet upgrade to our room # to a room with more of a real "Sea View".

The Staff was helpful. The only let down was the food available at the resort. But if you walk south on the beach 5 - 10 min, you will hit a number of great places to eat and party.

Scuba diving with Chuck and Robbies was amazing. One of the best outfiters on the island in my opinion. They picked us up and dropped us off at our resort for no extra charge each day. We went diving 5 out of the 7 days on our trip.

Also I would highly, highly recomend scheduling a full day snorkle charter with Unity tours. They have a ~40 foot catamaran the "No Rush" that was exactly that. We had so much fun on our first trip that we imediately booked a second day of sailing. They gave us time to snorkle, fish and enjoy the amazing weather and views that San Pedro has to offer.

We took the catamaran north to Mexico Rocks the first trip and then down to the shark and stingray alley and Caye Caulker our second trip. Two full days of fun and unforgetable memories.

Captain Steven and his brother were ontime and professional mariners. Fresh conch seviche and the freshest catch of the day that you catch yourself are prepared for you on the boat, were totaly awsome and unforgetable!!!

The dinning in San Pedro has its highs and lows when it comes to $$$. You can eat for $20 a day or spend as much as you would eating in New York City. Its up to you. I would say a trip to Kama, a local watering hole is worth it. The coconut shrimp and chicken fingers were awsome!

I am already planning a trip back to visit this small island community.

Room Tip: Seaview is the way to go. The pool view rooms have just that, a view of the pool. D4 was our room, n...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!