“Great value for where you are!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel del Rio

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel del Rio
North of town, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #33 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Springfield, Missouri, United States
“Great value for where you are!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Del Rio from 03/04 - 03/07/13 while on Ambergis Caye for a SCUBA diving vacation. I stayed in one of the regular rooms and was pleasantly surprised with the room. For $50 a night I wasn't sure what to expect. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The room, while bare bones with no T.V. or A.C., was very clean and the shower even had good pressure. At first the no T.V. or A.C. kind of bothered me, but then I realized I wasn't there to watch T.V. and the A.C., thanks to the sea breeze, was not ever needed! This hotel literally is steps from the beach...you walk out of your room and there the beach is in all its' beauty. My only complaint would be that the walls are VERY thin and I had to put up with drunk, noisy neighbors at night. Overall I was very satisfied with this hotel.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to get a cabana so you don't have to listen to drunk neighbors through the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Del Rio March 1-9, 2013. We stayed in a cabana which was awesome. The people were very friendly and helpful with all of our questions. Also, we met most of the people staying there during this time in the common area. The bakery around the corner is AWESOME! Fido's has good food, nightly specials and great music. Waragoma's has a great mexican menu, and if they're busy the mexican restaurant across the street is good as well(ate at both places and both are good). Sandbar on the beach has AWESOME pizza! Lilly's breakfast is good! We also stopped at Estelle's for breakfast which was good, but shortchange when we paid! if you like bbq, you HAVE to go to lazy croc!! The bbq is AWESOME and yes, they do have crocidles in the lagoon! We did two 1day snorkel trips with Lazzardo and Minor. Captain Louis has a 50+ft. sailboat, that takes you on 4 snorkels and he makes lunch for you on the sailboat We met them at 9am and got back to the dock at 4:30pm.

The only NEGATIVE I have to say about the whole trip was the BARKING DOGS!!! Since, Hotel Del Rio is in a residential area, there are dogs everwhere!!! I didn't sleep one night and my wife didn't sleep two nights!!! TAKE EARPLUGS!!! I even went across the dirt street and talked to the owner of some of the dogs! She said she would put then in at night, but never did!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at Hotel del Rio for five nights in Feb. 2013 . The hotel has regular rooms, but we stayed in Cabana Chica. Cabana Chica is one of three we seen on the property, and I think it's the best because of it's location on the property. It has a beautiful view of the ocean (just across the street) and is next to the central Palapa where everyone meets to discuss the days events, have a drink or just relax. The staff was very friendly and helpful,but we would like to thank Javier for all of the helpful information and prompt replies to our e-mails prior to our arrival in San Pedro. The location of the hotel was perfect for us, just on the North end of town and beachfront. We enjoyed the fresh baking at the bakery just around the corner every morning, were within walking distance of bars and restaurants, and still had the sense of quiet privacy when hanging out in the Palapa or out on the dock in front of our Cabana. I would definitely recommend Hotel del Rio to anyone who wants a clean, quiet place to stay. We loved Lily's Treasure Chest for good coffee in the morning and found an outstanding local restaurant downtown called Pupuseria Salvadorena for delicious homemade meals in the evening, all within a ten minute walk !
Randy and Wendy. Saskatoon, Sk. Canada

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Osoyoos, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I spent a damp five days in San Pedro during a January Norte. The staff at the Rio helped set up a great reef tour during one of the few sunny windows that appeared. The hotel is small and consists of a set of separate buildings in a relatively confined area. Early morning traffic on the adjacent side street can be annoying. Personal privacy in the limited area may be a problem for some. We quite enjoyed meeting fellow travellers. The room was small, but very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Spent two nights here on arrival in San Pedro. Staff were friendly; took me quickly to my room, which was a nice little cabana near the water.

To be honest I was expected a lot less for what I paid. I was very happy with the overall cleanliness and the place.

It's not luxurious by any stretch; the bathroom was dorm-like and the towels a bit rough but that is really a small concession to make for a great deal and a pretty scenic location.

The whole place had a very laid back, quiet, friendly vibe - guests lying about reading, all smiles and waving to one another. I quite liked it.

The only knock is that it's a bit far from town, which even so isn't saying much - if you have a cart you'd be there in 10 minutes from the airport.

Hope all the good reviews don't drive your price up guys - you're a great bargain!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had a room upstairs with 2 beds overlooking the beach. It had a very clean bathroom and a little verandah. It was perfect for us: quiet, very clean with a view and right on the beach. At the quiet end of town we could still walk to everything. Several hammocks were available for the guests to use. Staff was very helpful and everything was spotless. Best little hotel in San Pedro!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. We stayed in the Palms Veranda-at the Sea double unit. For 3 of us there was plenty of room. The view was beautiful. We were given clean towels and our beds were made daily. We had a refrigerator, there was a ceiling fan and floor fan in each room which kept us plenty cool.There was a clothesline outside our room (which we used a lot). The area was safe at night, which is a must for 3 young women, we even ran into the security guy a few nights. The only problem we ran into was that our room controlled the only outside light, so we kind of felt bad for the single unit when we forgot to turn on the outside light at night for them to get into their room in the dark.

This is definitely not a 5 star resort, it is a very simple room, and definitely shows wear and tear, but its clean. A great place to sleep and shower if you are on a budget. I would absolutely stay here again. It was a great location, just a short walk into the city, but far enough that we didn't have to deal with the noise from the bars at night. I would definitely recommend taking a taxi to the hotel when you have luggage, but otherwise you can walk pretty much anywhere you want to go.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel del Rio? Share your experiences!