“Opal Villa with family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Perla Del Caribe

Save Saved
You added La Perla Del Caribe to your Saves list
La Perla Del Caribe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6 miles north of San Pedro, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #12 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Denver, Colorado
“Opal Villa with family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Physically, the property is impressive. Ocean front. Nice pool in an intimate setting. Generally had it to ourselves. Basically a large family home (guess 3000 sq ft?) with impeccable daily maid and groundskeeping services. Enrique served as the point person for us on the staff and we all liked him. My sister insisted I mention how helpful he was. Served as ringmaster for all of our demands. Spent a lot of time on his cell phone on our behalf.

The villa itself was delightful. I go into that in the room description. I think they are going for a combined plantation / Mexican villa theme with more wood than stone or stucco. Decor looks like it belongs in the setting it is in, not contrived. Plantation shutters over screens. Some unfinished wood shelves. Bathrooms were enormous and each had its own tile theme. No privacy between toilet, shower, and sink. Glass divides shower from the rest of the bathroom.

Like much of Belize inside the reef, the beach is white, powdery sand, but turns to sea grass a couple feet into the ocean. Felt natural to me; I liked how it looked, especially the color contrast. Some in my party wanted a white sand beach without the grass. Can still swim off the dock so that you don't have to wade through the sea grass, which looks to be how most other properties work it. Maybe 10% clear the of grass, from my informal sampling. Getting rid of the grass eliminates some sea life habitat. I'm not a fan of that, and like it the way it is.

There was a little plastic trash on the beach. I wondered why the staff didn't clean more diligently, until I wandered through an adjactant vacant parcel. Holy crap, all the plastic trash of the Caribbean washes up here. The little bit of trash at La Perla was minor in comparison and clearly just what happens over a few hours between cleanings.

My first time to La Perla, and Ambergris Caye, and to Belize for that matter. What I wished I knew before I went.

Although ocean front, no roar of the crashing surt. The barrier reef mean that there is very little surf at the beach -- which I miss. But good for kids' safety, for sure. My girls enjoyed hours of beachcombing.

Took a long time to get here. If you have access to private aircraft, I highly recommend that :)

North Ambergris Caye is somewhat isolated. Road looks rough. Although passable in a golf cart, heard from many that boats are the best way to travel. Coast is heavily traveled by boat traffic; so wouldn't advice a rental boat other than for experts in motorized boat operation in heavy traffic. Occaisonally, the sound of the boats could be a distraction. $11 US per person each way to get to town in the taxi. Maybe a 15 minutes boat ride to go the 4-5 miles. But there are restaurants a very short walk either side of La Perla. Every meal I had on Ambergris Caye was pretty good, at varying price points. All somewhat pricy.

Much of Belize is a long way away. Went 'cave tubing'. Just fantasic. Blue clear freshwater through a limestone cave tunnelled through the hills thru the eons.. But a four hour commute round trip -- ufff. Maybe once in a trip. The iconic Blue Hole out past Turneffe is even further. If you do this hardcore commuting day after day, you'll go crazy. When setting up activities, I would focus on those things that are close. Fantastic snorkling and diving on both the north and south tips of the island. Turtles, sharks, and rays, oh my.

Personal chef which I recommend) will shop for you. We overbought food on our own. "Chefs for Hire" did an amazing job -- well worth the cost -- and on top of our overbuying, bought and prepared so much food that we were able to eat the same food for multiple cycles of leftovers. I probably would have bought less food and gone out to eat more.

Basically everything on the island is imported from the mainland. Including construction material, I'm told. Prices generally reflect this.

I didn't find prices on the local beer or rum to be unreasonablely priced. Nor the local seafood or fruit, relatively speaking. But packaged snacks (breakfast cereals, chips, Oreos, and the like) are galactically expensive. And the humidity seemed to impact the quality of some of that kind of food. I'd pack it in luggage from the US, if doing this again.

Insect repellent was also very expensive, and very unnecessary and unused in mid February -- even on our trip up in the hills on the mainland. Would guess that's a function of the time of year, and would bring some from out of country in any case.

Buy hard liquor in the duty free shop as you clear customs at the Belize City airport. It's right there.

The bottled water in the unit is in a bulk dispenser with a tap. I'd bring my own water bottle.

Water, ice coffee, sugar, and coffeemate are provided. Also (at least in my unit) there was a laundry unit with a tub of powder there for use.

Plenty of towels for beach, pool, and bath. Standard hotel toiletries are provided. Solid Wifi.

Power went out (less than a day) while we were here. Not just this property, but the whole island. I always pack a small flashlight when I travel and certainly would make a point of it here.

Got in a dispute with the grocery delivery company. Confirm and reconfirm your order, and ensure your order is complete before the delivery guy goes.

Left vast quantities of electronic foldero sitting out; left untouched by staff. People were all honest and friendly, from my experience.

Enjoyed by multiple generations of my family. Kids, adults, and grandma. Starting checking return airfares while still here.

Room Tip: My unit, the Opal Villa, was huge. Four bedrooms (five technically, as there is a nanny bedroom con...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Ocean, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

bought a trip via groupon for my wife and i, and were not disapointed. la perla was able to answer every question i had via email before we purchased the trip (first time to Belize). Enrique and Ampy booked our way from Belize City to the island (small single prop plane to San Pedro followed by cab to dock, boat to Ambergris Caye). very easy, no issues with our local travel. the villas at la perla are beautiful and modern, 2 bedroom/2 bathroom for 2 people was plenty. could have easily had another couple with us. property is well maintained daily as well, workers very helpful with any questions or needs we had. the white sand beach is absolutely gorgeous, just dont expect to jump in the ocean and swim, its mostly seagrass growing in the shallows. use the pool to cool off. important - there are no restaurants or bars on property, and there is no place to shop on the island (you have to take water taxi back to San Pedro for groceries/alcohol). i highly suggest getting your villa stocked with breakfast/lunch/snacks/drinks prior to arrival, sure msot people dont want to worry about food shopping on vacation. but go out for dinner for sure. our favorite place was the jambel jerk pit (5 min walk). not huge seafood fans, but we loved coconut curry chicken. very legit, local-ish place, jamaican vibe with bob marley jamming in the background. plates ranged from $9-$30 USD. portofino was a disapointment, pasta may have been homeade, but not homeade very well. and at a minimum of $25+ a plate, we regretted going there (10 min walk). mambo at manchita was good too, on the pricey side, as it is a super nice resort. worth the 20 min walk during the day, but at dark the walk may be a little sketchy. bring a flashlight that is supplied in the villa if wherever you go to eat at night. all the workers at every resturant could not have been nicer or more helpful. if your into snorkeling certainly do a half day trip to hol chan and shark/sting ray alley. the marine reserve area is not allowed to be fished, nor can you even drop an anchor. it is beautiful and the fish and big and friendly. seaduced was the charter, and they were great. so why didnt i give 5 stars? one issue. we ha a mice issue in our villa. when we arrived, we thoguht we saw mice feces, but after a full day of travel, (3 total planes, a cab, and a boat) we just ignored and settled in. the next morning we found more mice feces, and they got into some of our food (as i mentioned no where to shop on the island so this was upsetting). Enrique and staff promptly moved us to another villa, and a bottle of champagne was brought to us as an appology, which was nice...but, my issue lies with fact that a few workers acknowledged that our specific villa had pervious mice problem before our arrival. not sure why they would book us there, with a known issue like this. if your reading this review around the winter of 2013, just do not stay in the emerald villa. besides that, if you want to unplug and get away from it all (but theres still wifi), la perla is the spot. there are no cars, no roads, no traffic. just boats and some locals on bicycles. the anti inclusive resort, just you and your villa. we felt super safe the entire time, and i think we saw a total of 10 people in 6 days at la perla (both guests and workers). go for it!

Room Tip: avoid the emerald villa in the winter of 2013
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Despite American Airlines losing our baggage for two full days...the folks at La Perla Del Caribe made our stay as comfortable as possible...beyond helpful!

Our villa was EXACTLY as advertised and shown on the Internet. The views were incredible.

I would highly recommend this property to anyone who were making their first visit to Belize...I promise you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The only thing that would improve this resort is if there were a restaurant on the property.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The pictures and video does not do it justice. To be there at the resort and experience the beauty of the grounds and villas can only be experienced in person. I have not stopped talking about Belize, La Perla and how Enrique and Toshiba took fantastic care of us, like we were family. This is a resort to stay. Waking up to the sunrise, steps to the ocean, a kayak paddle to the reef, the excursions (snorkeling, snuba, fishing, cave tubing, and mayan ruins) were only part of the paradise. Just sitting on the deck of the villa with beers all day soaking up the sun and sea air looking at the ocean between your toes was priceless. Enrique and Toshiba were always there to make sure everything was good and worked their magic to sign us up for any excursion we wanted. (even when we would make the decision for any of them that very day).
I suggest to get your groceries ordered beforehand as they will be waiting for you at your villa when you arrive. You just e-mail Enrique and ask about the provisionings. We did not mind cooking at all during our trip and it was nice to have food and drinks available any time. We used Marta Grande as our store of choice and they were fantastic when we needed to bring some water back to them as we did not need them (resort provides water) and exchanged them for other foods we wanted. You can hire a chef for a night as well if you desire. And the "cooler" guys have great burritos and tamales as well.
I am in love with Belize and all their beautiful friendly people as I am with La Perla. We will be back as we had the best time ever.

Room Tip: We were in the Emerald villa and it was perfect off in the corner of the resort. It felt as if we we...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Loved our stay. The pictures on the web site do reflect what it is like! Literally steps from the ocean. It is quiet, the villas are great. Beautiful views.Beach is perfect for walking both North and South.
Enrique and staff were great and made sure our stay was perfect and came by every day to check. Rooms are cleaned daily. Plenty of towels and beach towels.
Walking distance to a couple of restaurants: We were regulars a Mambo (Matachica) and Portofino restaurant.

Room Tip: We stayed in Emerald, but our first choice was Amber because of the location of the villa relative t...
Moberly, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

What an incredible trip, the place is beautiful, staff is incredible and the scenry is to die for. There was nothing but excellance in this trip. La Perla's staff were friendly, helpful and were there to help in whatever way they could. Great places to eat within a short walk of the beach. Can't wait to visit again!

Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

See, I really am a princess. I had every whim taken care of. I was so spoiled I only had to walk to the end of the pier and get picked up by boat, then whisked away to one exotic snorkeling location or restaurant after another, day after day. A perfect way to spend a much-needed vacation. I wanted to take all of the furnishings in the Sand villa home with me. Thanks Enrique for taking such great care of us -even when we ran out of beer! :) See you next year! Heather and Jeff

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sand Villa which is 20 feet from the water. Awakened by the exotic birds (parrots...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to La Perla Del Caribe? Share your experiences!