“Great snorkeling, beautiful place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tranquility Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ambergris Caye
Tranquility Bay Resort
Basil Jones Beach | San Pedro,Ambergris Caye,Belize, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #18 of 56 hotels in Ambergris Caye
East Troy, WI
“Great snorkeling, beautiful place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We visited Tranquility Bay Resort in late mid February, 2013. In short, we hope to return again. TBR is situated far north on Ambergris Caye. To get there, take the Tropic Air shuttle (20 minutes) from Belize City to San Pedro, where you will connect with the resort’s water taxi for a jolting but beautiful 40 minute ride to the resort. Our greeting was very warm and friendly with a complimentary drink to help us settle in. The resort is very picturesque with nine colorful cabanas of varying capacities. The higher the number of your cabana, the better the view of the ocean and barrier reef you will have. We had #7 and found it to be clean and comfortable – perfect for our needs. After a short orientation with Pete, the manager, we were in the ocean a half hour after arrival.
Among the many plus factors of TBR is the very friendly staff, all of whom work long hours but who were cheerful and always helpful. We also liked the fact that you don’t need to carry cash while at the resort since all expenses are put on a tab to be settled when you check out. Food (especially the Belizean specialties) was quite good and the menu was extensive enough so we could have a different dinner each night. We usually opted for the fish catch special of the day. It is worth the time and money to stop at the duty free store in Belize City airport to pick up any wine or liquor you may want. Prices are ridiculously inexpensive ($15US for a fifth of decent scotch; $6US for a bottle of good cabernet). You may also wish to stop by a market in San Pedro to pick up food to stock your small refrigerator since the resort only offers candy and other snack food during hours the restaurant is closed. The waiters we had, Georgio and Giovanni, were wonderfully friendly and knowledgeable and housekeeping staff were likewise friendly and efficient. Service was excellent.
Of course, the primary draw for Tranquility Bay Resort is the ocean. Snorkeling is magnificent even a short distance from the shore; further out it is even more spectacular. We don’t scuba dive (yet!) but other guests at TBR say it’s some of the best they have ever experienced. The resort offers several day trips ranging from snorkel tours to cultural tours. We took the day trip to Lamanai Mayan ruins; it was the highlight of our vacation. Lamanai was once home to 60,000 Mayans and is considered to be the best preserved archaeological site for Mayan civilization in central/south America.
There are some concerns we have for TBR: the ocean yields up lots of trash and although staff are constantly combing the beachfront and keep it quite clear, it is a continual problem everywhere in Belize. Also, my wife and I are birders and the areas behind the resort provide habitat for many species, but some of these areas are strewn with refuse that make it unsightly in some spots. However, as mentioned above, we had a great experience at TBR and would be happy to return.

Room Tip: Higher numbered cabanas have better view of the ocean.

298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Amelia Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This was my second amazing trip to TBR. First of all, I need to give a big shout out to Jerisue with reservations for going above and beyond in helping me make this last minute trip possible to visit my sweetie. She is always a pleasure to work with. The welcome I received from the staff made me feel like I'd never left. Another guest even commented on it. I now have some special friends there, and I can't wait to see them all when I return in June for a longer trip with my niece. You can't beat Tranquility Bay Resort as a wonderful vacation destination. It's now become my second home. I wouldn't change much at all, especially most of the terrific, friendly staff. I'm counting down the days to my next visit. Wish I was there now!!

• Stayed March 2013
Pflugerville, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I can't really share much more than what has already been said by the others who traveled here this February. We were there from the 20th to the 25th. Everyone was really awesome. I do agree that it was unfortunate that everyone just ate and left so early - that's more just a lot of introverts visiting at the same time more than anything else. I got a little bored after dark. It would have been nice to chat and drink with the other guests. Needless to say, I came to relax and got just that. I read 2 books, snorkeled daily, chatted up the bartender, Cesar, and another couple who had visited 4 times before their current trip. That told me a lot about this place as a whole. We walked the beach, watched the iguanas and really just chilled...

You can do a little.... or a lot. It's really up to you and your budget. We stayed in the budget room, which was perfect for us. The windy nights did make the door rattle, but that's truly my one and only complaint if I had to find something. It didn't bother me too much though since the bed was super comfy.

Room Tip: You still get a view with the budget room.. it's more like an efficiency apartment. Great for co...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Overall, it is a very nice place. Beautiful location, quiet and secluded. You can snorkel right off the shore here, which is a big plus in my book. The cabin was clean and comfortable. I wish it and had a cooktop. It says full kitchen, but it does not have a cooktop. The reason I bring this up is that if you have food issues, and need to cook for yourself, you will need to use a microwave and there is not any cookware. I have Celiac and must eat very strictly Gluten Free. I also need to eat dairy free. This was okay for me in Guatemala at Casa de Don David and at Black Rock Lodge and Cahal Pech lodge in San Ignacio. The manager, Pete, met our boat with a nice drink from Giovanni (who was great) when we arrived. I tried then to talk with him about my dietary needs and the importance of no cross contamination. He brushed me off and told me to talk to the server. Not at all how things were handled at the other three lodgings. Ceasar was overworked and not always nice. He did not look out for me and I got Gluten poisoning. I didn't bother to tell Pete - he never asked me how things were going. My guess is if i had talked to Jamal at the beginning, I may have been okay. He was very good. I wondered why he wasn't the manager. As an example, when we left, and you pay $40 for the ride back, we were put in a very small boat, smaller than the boat we came in on. It was windy and the water was rougher than when we came. I assume it was Pete, who did come to say goodbye, who gave us this boat. Another staff member came along too who took the seat that got the least wet during the ride. We were hit with lots of water. It was Jamal who saw to our baggage being put in tarps and ran to another boat and got us rain coats. Lots of water hit us. Thank goodness he did this. He really seemed like a top notch guy. This was not our only interaction with him. He made a very good impression. I also liked Robert who drove the boat and showed us a dolphin. Varda was very nice who worked in the office. As I said before, Giovanni was both competent and kind. The restaurant was the problem for me here.
In short, I think this place is probably your best bet of place to stay on the island - but I would bring your own food if you have special diet needs. If you do this, there is really nothing to complain about other than the quality of the light in the room at night which is depressing. The rooms are spacious, clean and have nice furniture. The view cannot be beat. Best of all, you can snorkel right off the shore.

Room Tip: Any room you stay in is nice. We had the room behind the restaurant which some people didn't li...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have just returned from Tranquility Bay and as the name suggests it was very tranquil and isolated.You are about a 35 minute small boat ride from San Pedro on Ambergris Caye so be prepared for a few splashes and a wind blown look when you arrive!

On arrival you will be met by Mr Pete the manager and a nice refreshing drink before being shown to one of 10 beach cabanas. The cabins are very rustic with 1 or 2 bedrooms, bathroom, sitting area and kitchen with microwave and coffee maker. Each one also has a patio area straight onto the beach with sun loungers and a few hammocks between the palm trees.

Meals are taken in the tackle box at the end of the jetty which also has a bar and stunning views over the ocean. At night you can sit and watch the rays and fish around the jetty which is lit up.
Breakfast is waiter service and comes all at once what ever you order!

The 2 waiters working during our stay - Cesar and Giovani were fantastic. They were polite, courteous, extremely helpful and efficient. Jamal the snorkel guide was also very good.

The beach was swept every day for sea grass and rubbish that gets washed up and the rooms were cleaned daily.

There is only one other hotel / rented condos resort within walking distance and we were informed that this is currently in receivership which would explain the unhelpful attitude we got when we visited. So basically you are totally isolated from anything and my advice would be to visit one of the shops in the town before you go up there if you would like to have a drink in your room or eat any snacks etc as the only food or drink you will get is at the restaurant / bar.

The really weird thing was that everybody went down for their evening meal well before 7pm and then went straight back to their rooms. Sometimes we would be the only ones left having a meal or drink and although the place is set in a wonderful location it would have been nice to share it with someone.
On the last few nights that we were there we actually met some like minded people and joined them for a meal and it made such a difference not to be back in the room for 8pm and to have some conversation with someone other than ourselves.

You can do dive and snorkel trips from the resort and they do rent fins and masks etc which you can use to snorkel from the beach. Unfortunately during our stay the winds were very strong all day and night and it whipped the water up so the water was very choppy and the visibility wasn't particularly good. Even though we did manage to see the 2 very large green resident morays, tons of rays and lots of the usual wrasse, parrot fish and barracuda.

We also went on the trip to Hol Chan / shark alley and got to snorkel with nurse sharks, a huge loggerhead turtle,spotted eagle rays and groupers to name a few.

Although the resort did do certain trips they never put up any information until our last day of what
they were or where they went to so we had to ask for this information.

The other thing was you had to pay U$20 pp return to go into town and that was when and if they were actually taking guests back to the airport anyway.
The one thing i did feel was a little bit excessive was the price i paid for a cup of black tea one night after my meal as no coffee / tea is included. U$3 for one tea bag. It was only u$5 for a rum and coke!

Although the place is called Tranquility Bay once you leave the resort beach perimeter and walk up and down the beach in either direction as we did for a couple of hours every day you will see that the beach is absolutely full and i mean full of rubbish of every description from baby car seats, wash baskets, bottles, syringes, plastic bags that has all been washed up.We even found a huge cool box on one walk. (photographs can be provided)
The poignant thing was there were plenty of signs stating that areas of the beach were turtle nesting sites, how on earth they climb over all the rubbish is beyond me.

We loved to go for a walk every day to see the birdlife from woodpeckers, humming birds to pelicans and frigates and it doesnt bother me wading through the usual debris like logs, sea grass and coconuts etc that washes up but having to step over and through all the rubbish i found quite appalling.
This is not this resorts fault i know and on one of our last days we did see a local guy with a wheel barrow who appeared to be picking stuff up but surely more should be done to keep this place as clean and pristine as it should be.

Room Tip: Take everything you need with you as there are no shops, keep the windows and doors closed as even w...
Captain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Incredibly comfortable and clean cabanas right on the beach with amazing views of the sparkling water, white sand, and coconut palms swaying in the breeze…
Very good patch reefs with high fish and coral diversity for snorkeling right out in front…
Delicious food and wonderful service at the restaurant on the water…
The friendliest staff of any place in the world we’ve ever stayed…
Such an isolated and peaceful location…
It just doesn’t get much better than this…

Room Tip: Cabanas 6 and 8 have the very best views.
Edmonton, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

On the way back to San Pedro after 5 nights at Tranquility Bay, my son pointed out that the problem with all the other places we passed is that there were no yellow t-shirts. This was after a truly heart-warming sendoff from the dock by several of the people who took such great care of us and became our friends in this piece of paradise. I am reluctant to name names as I don't want to miss anyone, but thank you to everyone who made our vacation so wonderful.

The isolation, the proximity to the reef, and the beautiful beach are all wonderful reasons to choose Tranquility. It would be excellent for anyone, but for a family I can't imagine a better place to go. My kids (ages 8 and 11) were never bored - they swam, they snorkeled, they played in the sand, and they sat with their friends who worked there and chatted. On the snorkeling tour we did all the guides watched out for them and made sure they were safe and included. The restaurant staff knew them and their preferences and treated them with much kindness.

The cabins were clean and comfortable, and quiet. The resort was full, but even at that it usually felt like we almost had the beach to ourselves.

We would love to return to Belize, and if it works out one day we would certainly return to Tranquility Bay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Tranquility Bay Resort? Share your experiences!