“Best vacation ever!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tranquility Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ambergris Caye
Tranquility Bay Resort
You added Tranquility Bay Resort to your Saves list
Basil Jones Beach | San Pedro,Ambergris Caye,Belize, Ambergris Caye P.O.Box 149, Belize   |
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Ambergris Caye
Amelia Island, Florida
“Best vacation ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I went as a solo traveler expecting to spend most of my time by myself, but the staff was so friendly that I immediately felt like I was a part of their family. I hardly spent any time alone. As you've read in other reviews, the location is AMAZING. A trip to shark ray alley is a must. Food was very good, especially the fish tacos, fish at the beach barbecue, and lobster dishes. I have to give a special shout out to the guys who made my trip extra special. Giovanni in the restaurant welcomed me every meal with a hug, and made me feel like a special guest. Jacob was my sweet teddy bear with a big shoulder to lean on if I wanted it. Best of all was Jamaal, the guide. He didn't think I would be up to my talk about my adventurous side in the water, but I proved him wrong the first time out. I'm a natural in the water and want full interaction with the stingrays, and I definitely got to enjoy that. What impressed me was how great Jamaal was with the novices and those who were very nervous. He was very patient with them and extremely helpful. He also helped me check something off my bucket list, petting a shark's belly.
Only two negatives I'd mention. Make sure you bring bug spray. In the evenings if there isn't a breeze, the sand flies and mosquitoes are a nightmare. I also hope they can improve the amount of hot water in the cabanas. I'd run out by the end of my shower, and this will be a problem when I return in June with my niece. We will have to fight over it.
I recommend Tranquility Bay 100%.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Woodside, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The location of the resort more than makes up for its shortcomings.

First of all, the location of the resort is stunning. I won't get into the details as this has been expanded upon by plenty of others. And the company website hides nothing about the remarkable beaches.

Secondly, the staff is friendly, warm and knowledgeable.

We got the budget room in the middle of the holidays around New Year, but I was able to tour other onsite accommodations.

One of two drawbacks, (again, which are a distant memory every time you just open your eyes and look round at the remarkable sand and sea) are the fit and finish of the rooms themselves. For a resort that is less than 10 years old, the place is showing its age. Initial construction appears to be done at a high local standard, but would appear to be a bit weak by western standards. Keep in mind, the area is battered by rains and heat for 1/2 of the year, and has whipping salt air breezes all the time. Tiles were broken, paint on the walls appeared to not be finished in spots all over the walls. The windows seemed to be painted shut and had no screens. Windows were not cleaned in the interior for a while. It just has a coarseness to it that is not bad considering the location. I looked behind the light fixure above the bed and found hundreds of dead insects. The good news is that they were dead! Dead bugs on the walls. A big no no that can be easily cleaned. This is the tropics, so I would not count this against them. I would recommend a deeper level of regular cleaning and maintenance. A bit of staff training could take care of this.

The prices for the rooms however are quite fairly priced given the location and the difficulty in maintaining such a remote lodge. I would not hesitate to return again.

The other modest drawback is the onsite dining. The food is good, and fairly priced and diverse. The menu is on the website. It's just that they have only one person in the front of house, doing ordering waiting tables, serving, busing. Everything. At peak hours, service can be a bit haphazard. They do their best. One more well trained person on the floor in the restaurant 6 hours a day will do it. Kitchen staff does a great job. Food is fresh. Beer is cold. All drinks are fairly priced. And they deliver a 5 gallon dispenser of filtered water to your cabin for $7.5 US.

Keep in mind, it rarely drops below 75 degrees. Your drinks get warm fast!

Every fish boat seemed to come back with enough fish to feed the whole resort. We did not go fishing as most of the time we spent snorkeling on the reef, just a couple minute swim from shore.

Wifi worked if you hung out by the office.

Remember, no Televisions, no phones. Strong cell signal if you have a compatible phone.

Summary. Stunning location. Friendly staff. Solid, not luxurious accommodations. Great for families too. You won't want to leave.

Two thumbs up. Check it out!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Winsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed as a family for 4 days following some time in the jungle on the mainland. We were looking for some good snorkelling, diving, and a location to chill out at. Tranquility Bay is definitely recommended though there were a few minor improvements that would have made the resort perfect.
The highlights - the food and staff were execllent. Great variety on the menu, well presented. Always a smile and a chat from the management and staff. Would recommend to everyone to experience the snorkelling at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley - although Hol Chan was busy the sea life was great (Eagle Rays, Turtle, Nurse shark) however this was nothing compared to Shark Ray Alley (and an additional stop nearby) in which we were snorkelling in 8ft of water surrounded by anything from 15-20 Nurse Shark and Rays, and then also by 5+ Green Turtle that were literally pushing past you to get to scraps being fed by local fishermen. Awesome experience. Also went snorkelling up the coast however this meant travelling outside the reef - very bumpy !! 10ft waves in our small boat - safe but not for the faint hearted nor those who may suffer from sea-sickness. Considering the quality of the snorkelling and the strong current and wave outside the reef we were happy to miss out on any diving. The reef in front of the resort really could be reached by walking as it remains shallow (4-6ft max) from the shore to the reef about 200m out. Would recommend using one of the kayaks and/or finning out - we saw some great reef fish whilst also a glimse of a reef shark. Lodges are clean, spacious and functional.
Worth noting - the restaurant only has 6 tables inside, and a couple of large benches outside that generally proved insufficient to accommodate the 11 Cabana's - get there early (6pm) and there would be less waiting - although only really an issue if there is some rain. Food however is worth waiting for. We were a family of 4 with 2 grown up children and had requested a double and a twin. Whether just the room we were allocated we had 2 double beds. The lounge did have a sofa bed that helped however with no air con in the lounge nor blinds/curtains it made sleeping more difficult. We thought there was limited hot water though just needed running for 5 minutes before it came through. WiFi is limited to the office and just outside for those like us who wanted to stay in touch.
These minor issues certainly didnt spoil the experience - the location, the food, the sea-life, the staff all made this resort one that we would recommend.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea and appear similarly equipped. We stayed in Cabana 8 - had 2x double beds.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My fiancé and I had a few simple requirements for our Central American honeymoon resort destination. First, it had to be somewhere quiet. Secondly, it had to serve good food. Third, there had to be some cool spots for snorkeling nearby. And finally, there had to be a great beach just footsteps from our door where we could just kick back and read a book peacefully in a hammock all day if we wanted. That was pretty much it.

When we found Tranquility Bay Resort online it appeared to have everything we were looking for, and now, after returning from our wonderful trip, I can say that it exceeded our expectations.

It was very quiet. Even at full capacity, it felt like we were only one of a few people staying at the resort. We had a quaint two-bedroom cabin just 20 feet from the ocean and there was no noise, tourist activity or distractions to be found.

The food was also really good. The resort has its own restaurant, serves free breakfast (try the flapjacks), fresh fish and held a memorable beach dinner for the guests one night during our stay where we had lobster followed by a fun bonfire. And the service was great. All the bartenders, waiters and staff were friendly and helpful, willingly to deliver a six-pack of Belican Stout (great Belzian beer) within a few minutes of my request.

The snorkeling also did not disappoint. We love snorkeling near colorful corral reef and marine life, and were delighted with the guide that Tranquility Bay Resort had on staff, who brought us out to Shark & Ray Alley for a great afternoon at a great price.

The staff was also knowledgable about exciting day-long adventures that you can have on San Pedro or Belize City, if you are interested in leaving the resort for a day during your trip. We did this one day by going to see some Maya Ruins, which was a long trip, but well worth it.

Overall, it was great, no major complaints to report of any kind. Just wish we could've stayed for longer! Would for sure recommend it to travelers who just want to escape and relax. The word "Tranquility" in the resort name is not false advertising.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitefish, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This review is long over due! We stayed at Tranquility Bay in January of 2012. Isabella and Carlos are incredible. There is a great staff to meet your every need. The drinks and food were never disappointing. If you like to roll out of bed and into the ocean this is the place. The snorkeling tours to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley were amazing. There is great snorkeling right out your front door if you chose to stay close to the resort. Tranquility Bay is so peaceful you really don't want to go anywhere! We love Belize and this resort is a gem....the worst thing about going to Tranquility Bay Resort is leaving. You will make new friends and take home some wonderful memories!

Room Tip: There is no bad place to stay here ! Everyone gets an ocean view!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I had a great stay at Tranquility Bay. Really, it came down to Carlos and Isabella being the best possible hosts. I hope they never leave this place, as they are the heart and soul of it. The rest of the staff was also fantastic, especially Andreas and Orlando. Orlando took us on some fantastic excursions and scuba dives.

We loved the fact that some dogs were at the resort, and we even "adopted" Foody for the week and let him sleep inside with us...lol.

The food was excellent at the resturant, and the kitchen very accomodating to all of our needs. They even baked my wife a cake on her birthday!

The bad: the first night our air conditioner went out, and it was HOT. Although, the staff fixed it immediately the next morning after I reported it. Also, the cabannas were all being painted during our stay, so there was some construction noise and workers hanging around. Neither of these things were major issues, but should be noted.

We can't wait to come back and see Carlos and Isabella!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

It is back to reality today after spending a wonderful week at Tranquility Bay Resort. We had great weather, great food, new friends and a relaxing time. We spent our 7th Anniversary here at TBR with a nice romantic touch presented by the staff with having dinner on the beach. Awesome! The staff brought out our delicious lobster dinner to us checked every so often to make sure that we were satisfied. We felt that the staff was very helpful and the food was delicious with lots to choose from the menu. Half day trips to visit San Pedro and snorkeling. Sea life was better than an aquarium. Relaxing on the beach was so worthwhile leaving all technology at home!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
minnMoto, Owner at Tranquility Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so happy you enjoyed our little piece of heaven! Hopefully we will see you again!

Been to Tranquility Bay Resort? Share your experiences!