“Surreal and fantastic ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Great Blue Hole at Lighthouse Reef

The Great Blue Hole at Lighthouse Reef
approximately 60 miles off the mainland out of Belize City, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$412*
and up
Blue Hole and Turneffe Islands Helicopter Tour
Type: Caverns/ Caves, Geologic Formations, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Outdoors
Activities: Scuba diving, Snorkeling
More attraction details
Owner description: The most famous dive site in Belize was discovered by Jacques Cousteau.
San Pedro, Belize
15 attraction reviews
“Surreal and fantastic ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Ledge at 150 feet with stalagmites above and black tip sharks below. Bizarre and thrilling dive unlike any I have been. Saw a lobster the size of my leg at 120 feet. Boat ride from San Pedro with aqua scuba long and brutal but blue hole and dives at half moon wall and aquarium made it more than worthy. Dive master Roy or Gandhi fantastic. Lighthouse Island very desolate and tropical great lunch spot. Don't listen to the naysayers worth the trip and dive I'll do it every time I visit Belize. JUST DO IT. Aqua Scuba has website special for $275 if you prepay PayPal and they provide nice lunch and great dive master.

Mexico
5 attraction reviews
“Surreal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

The best diving place i ever been to, the place is beatiful, its a long way to get there but trust me its worth it, every place you look you see small island with blue/green water colo around it, when you get to the blue hole you might think it has a beach but its underwater all so the boat goes inside and lets you snorkel around the coral wall and if you wanna dive you can go 120 feet down and see the expectacular wall fill with coral, turtles, rays and of course a lot of sharks, they are all amazing to seee, i been to a lot of diving places but this was the best, took the trip that went to the blue hole light house reef, then to eagle ray aquarium did another dive and to finish my diving we went on half moon caye where we had lunch on the island and also theres a bird sanctuary if you like taking pictures.

Visited March 2014
Michigan
46 attraction reviews
“I loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I'm so happy I did the Belize Aggressor to the Blue Hole. It was so cool to see the sharks, rays, and midnight parrotfish near the top. We went down to 130ft to the see the stalagtites, and I admit was light headed at that depth. I had to ascend a bit to get rid of that feeling, but at least I know what it feels like now to feel nitrogen narcosis. We did 2 safety stops, one at 60ft and another at 15ft, so safety was #1 for our Dive Masters. Just seeing that topography and the opportunity to visit just a famous site was out of this world. I know some may be underwhelmed, but I loved it.

Visited February 2014
Forest Falls, California
5 attraction reviews
“Out of this World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

This has got tone one of the coolest dive spots of all time. Crystal clear blue water for miles around and then a very dark and cool upwelling from the deep brings a bloom of marine plankton to the surface attracting larger and larger aquatic life. Sharks and Rays feed on the smaller fish who come for the upwelling micro buffet. The ocean floor is at about 70-80 feet deep but that is where the fun begins. The whole area is riddled with tunnels and caves and the blue hole is actually one of these caves with the ceiling busted wide open. You descend into hole only 20-30 feet or so and you're at recreational dive limits. But just hovering there into a massive cavern and seeing the mix of marine life is stunning. What else can I say…go get wet. Many Dive Operators in the area service tis divespot.

Visited March 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
16 attraction reviews
“You HAVE to see this.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

DO IT! If you are a diver, and debating the financial and full-day’s investment to making the Blue Hole trip, please take my guidance and just do it.

Being in Ambergris Caye only a week, and hearing pros and cons about the Blue Hole, I debated my decision until my divemasters at Island Divers Belize pushed me into making the trip, even though it was with another dive operation. Am I glad I listened to their advice!

Yes, it’s a long ride -- two and one-half hours -- but you truly have to see the Blue Hole to appreciate its unbelievable uniqueness. You’ll dive lots of beautiful reefs in your time, but you’ll never see anything again like the Blue Hole.

Don’t discount the overall beauty of Lighthouse Reef, or the quality of the two dives which follow the Blue Hole. Both Half Moon Wall and the Aquarium are almost worth the trip by themselves, as they are indeed beautiful dive sites.

If you are into your diving, this is the trip you have to make. Because of the size of their boat, and the quality I experienced, I heartily recommend Amigos del Mar for the excursion.

Visited January 2014