“Yeah; It's a Hole, definitely a hole” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Great Blue Hole at Lighthouse Reef

The Great Blue Hole at Lighthouse Reef
approximately 60 miles off the mainland out of Belize City, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Improve this listing
Visit The Great Blue Hole at Lighthouse Reef like an insider
$412*
and up
Activities: Scuba diving, Snorkeling
More attraction details
Owner description: The most famous dive site in Belize was discovered by Jacques Cousteau.
Newport Blues
“Yeah; It's a Hole, definitely a hole”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I enjoyed diving the Marine Park(s?), and other places available off Ambergris Caye. I have the highest opinion of Ramon's Village Resort. Expert divemasters who handle small groups diving off well maintained boats. Beautiful grass shacks made of solid mahogany with electricity on the beach & Garden/Jungle environ provides your jump off to Ramon's pier which is over enough glass clear water to jump in & check your gear, more than serves his boats spaciously & well. His resort's pool was very enjoyable & custom created for this resort, it sits just off to the side(about 12 ft away) from the dinner area & bar(I considered it a part of). I used two 80 cu ft tanks a day for 15 days & made a night dive where I foolishly watched a 7 ft long Moray Eel from way too close for way too long I now know what they can do & won't repeat that proximity, but I got away with it (THAT time). Those damn things are where Sigorny Weavers ALIEN got his Idea to have a set of "reach out & getcha" jaws tucked away in his throat. But that's another story, what I am writing about is that I consider diving the Blue Hole to be a waste of time & money. It's relatively featureless stone walls bored me. The markedly reduced light, & relatively lifeless interior did not add to my...shall we say "Enjoyment". perhaps you have heard "even a bad dive is better than anything on the surface" well it AINT. iF i NEVER GO WITHIN 10 FEET OF THE BLUE HOLE again, IT'LL BE TOO SOON. But..I Will be back to Ramon's Resort, he even walked around the diner while we ate breakfast & visited with his customers to ask their opinion.

Visited March 2012

Brisbane, Australia
10 attraction reviews
“Great Blue Hole Ambergric Caye Belize (Not so great)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Photos I've seen on the internet of the Great Blue Hole got me so excited we extended our holiday to go to Belize. We stayed on an Island and went with the local dive shop for a very long journey out to the GBH. I was expecting to feel like I was in an amazing hole, but it only felt like a wall dive. Not much marine life and not much colour. We spent 3 days on the island and did several dives on the beautiful reefs and then headed back to Belize Town. We wanted to go zip lining and cave diving and both were amazing adventures not far from the city. Both very well organized with safety first. I loved this part of our time in Belize. Here in Australia you have to be a certified cave diver to do what we did. I would never be able to experience cave diving here, but my husband is a cave diver and could vouch for my buoyancy control. So it's well worth going to Belize City for these activities. BUT Belize is a very poor country and much dirtier than anywhere we've traveled. Open drains are everywhere. It's an extremely unsafe city too! We were very lucky to meet up with a tour operator/driver by the name of Manny. He took us under his wing and watched over us. He was wonderful. If you're planning to go to Belize, book for the tours, do them then hop over to the islands. They are much cleaner and the sea is wonderful. There's lots of great reef diving close to the islands of Belize.
Happy diving, Dianne

Visited April 2012
Brisbane, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Have no idea where the hype comes from”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have done four different dives in the Blue Hole -- the last 3 with friends who had not done it; all at different times of the year. Each time was Boring. Putting aside for a moment the back-killing, long boat ride out to the Hole, and the extremely over-priced fees to the dive shops to go out there, the dive itself was simply uninspiring -- Very little marine life, poor to average vis, and of course no coral because it's so deep. I have done scuba diving all over the world. And still I don't get why everyone keeps saying the Blue Hole is the Best Dive site in the world. Huh?? Now, the Zoo or the Aquarium dive sites off Ambergris Caye are SPECTACULAR! Awesome marine life, long bottom time, great coral, great light because the vis is so awesome. Save your time, money and sore back and stay in close and do these sites instead.

Visited January 2012
Bristol, Tennessee
“Pick your Dive Operater Carefully On This One”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Of course The Blue Hole in Belize is a natural attraction. At the depths dove there (130'-140") it's not for the novice diver. It is an exillarating dive non-the-least. If you are a diver and in Belize, it is a must do. However, pick your dive operator carefully.
We used Aqua Scuba and here the story goes:
On our first attempt out from Ambergris Cay, an oil line ruptured on one of the engines after picking up some passengers in Cay Calker. We head back to Cay Calker for a "quick fix". After 1 1/2 hours we put back to Ambergris Cay so the day ( a vacation day) is shot. Later that night we are informed that tomorrow is a go. After picking up divers in Cay Calker we head out to sea. As our luck would have it a horrible storm rolled in and cought the worst of it. Now the OTHER engine is overheating so the captain shuts in down and we are tossing and turning in every direction which actually was sort of a fun ride. The problem was that after the storm we was off course and they didn't have GPS !! After circling for a while,squinting to get a hint of something out we see a boat. We head towards it and another dive operator was at the Blue Hole.
We dive the hole and head to Half Moon Key. We were the first to suit up so the divemaster ,knowing we are very experienced, tells to go on it and wait on the bottom. Another instructor joined us. We waited, waited, heard the boat moving around, waited....then surfaced only to see the boat going around the island. Ever see the movie "Open Water" ?? After swimming towards the shore about 2 miles out, (going on an hour), the Park Rangers came and picked us up. Nobody came down to tell us the BOAT WAS SINKING.
After 14hrs and three boats later we are back in Ambergris Cay. I guess all's well that ends well you might say. But pick your dive operator carefully and go. Just ask the locals at the shops, restaurants and even in the streets.It's a smal island and everybody knows everything.You'll never live it down when your friends know you were in Belize diving and didn't do The Blue Hole.

Visited January 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
“Nothing else like it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The entire experience was surreal. I am an advanced scuba diver. I am from Florida and have dove there and many other places in the Caribbean and Mediterranean, but I have never experienced something so unique and awe inspiring.

Visited November 2012