“Trip of a Lifetime!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Great Blue Hole at Lighthouse Reef

The Great Blue Hole at Lighthouse Reef
approximately 60 miles off the mainland out of Belize City, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
$412*
and up
Activities: Scuba diving, Snorkeling
More attraction details
Owner description: The most famous dive site in Belize was discovered by Jacques Cousteau.
Miami, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Trip of a Lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I had the incredible experience of staying out on the Turneffe Atoll. We stayed at Blackbird Caye Dive Resort and had an absolutely fantastic vacation. On Tuesday, the resort does the "Blue Hole Trip". The day started off with an hour boat ride out to the reef. Our first dive was the Blue Hole and let me say that it was the experience of a lifetime. We descended to about 130 feet. We were able to swim in and out of the Stalactites and Stalagmites. We had a very large bull shark that hung out about 20 feet below us and we encountered four Caribbean Reef Sharks as well. I spent the whole dive looking around for the National Geographic Crew because I figured that they had to be there! After the Blue Hole dive we did Half Moon Caye, another excellent dive with a ton of sea life. The last dive of the day was "The Aquarium". This is a MUST. The Aquarium has more life than any reef I have ever seen. I encountered a sea turtle that was the size of a mini cooper. It was truly AMAZING. I can say with full confidence that this trip is one that will NEVER be forgotten.

Visited April 2012

Livingston, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Excellent diving and Good vendor.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We made all three dives at the Blue Hole with Aqua Scuba (out of Ambergris). We saw a great variety of animal life and the staff of Aqua Scuba were very knowledgeable --- equipment was in good shape and the staff had everything prepared. We had originally booked with Amigos Del Mar, but they cancelled our trip the night before a 5 am departure --- we had organized our entire trip around the Blue Hole dive (due to flying in and out) and Amigos almost put a huge damper on it. We were very glad that Aqua Scuba was able to get us on the boat. Swimming between the stalactites/stalagmites is incredible. Our lunch stop included a visit to see the red-footed boobies and a local rookery. We would definitely repeat the experience and would go with Aqua Scuba. Vendors that cancel dive trips the night before an early departure make me nervous.

Visited June 2012
brisbane
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“truly spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

It is along boat ride from San Pedro, however this was well worth it. The seas were quite rough. The blue hole is pretty good, I must say it looks better from up above

Visited February 2012
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Don't be scared, this is a must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Last week my boyfriend and I went to Belize for 8 days to kick back and relax. I'm in love with Scuba Diving and he's not so much but we both enjoyed doing the day trip to the Blue hole! It's the most beautiful clear blue water you'll ever see!

We went with Amigos del Mar and they had nice equipment, were very clean and professional throughout the whole day! We did 3 dives, Blue Hole was the first one, and then had lunch on Half Moon Caye, a gorgeous island!

Don't expect a lot of life in the Blue Hole but definitely expect some shark friends that come to swim with you! It's amazing. We counted 11 black tipped reef sharks 8-10ft. long surrounding us. The dive is 130ft. for 8min of bottom time! The rest of the day was hot, sunny and they provided plenty of food and water for the rest of the day. Johnny cakes and fruit in the morning!

After the dive they generously pour the rum drinks for the ride back with all the friends you just made for the last 12 hours of the day! Great fun! I would do it over and over again. We spent $300 total for the dive, equipment and awesome experience!

Checked of my bucket list!! Great dive spot, great dive company!

Visited May 2012
Kamloops
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Blue Hole”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We did our trip with Amigos Del Mar and they are a terrific dive company. Not only is their boat large enough to make the trip out to the Blue Hole comfortably, it is well setup and the Dive Masters do a great job at keeping everything organized and ready to go. The Blue Hole dive is something you should just for the experience of it. We went to depth, swam through the stalagmites & stalagtites and on our ascent, saw several large Caribbean Reef Sharks and a couple of Eagle Rays - well worth the money and the 2 hour boat ride.

Visited March 2012