“Save your money and go somewhere else!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean's Edge Lodge

Ocean's Edge Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Belize Cayes
Ocean's Edge Lodge
You added Ocean's Edge Lodge to your Saves list
Tobacco Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #87 of 91 Hotels in Belize Cayes
BC
“Save your money and go somewhere else!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2007

We arrived on this island to find that we had been booked into Oceans Edge Lodge and it has been closed for the past year!! Needless to say, we were not impressed with Global Travel who booked this for us. I'm certainly not a "princess" but there was no hot water, or water at all for a day when the pump broke down, the rooms were marginally ok, but not what I would call clean, and I don't even want to talk about the mattress and pillow!! Screens on the windows would be nice to stop the bugs from coming in at night. We had to chase down management to try to get some toilet paper. This property is not rustic, it is totally run down! We had an issue our last night there and were very concerned for our safety and stayed awake with the lights on. I certainly did not feel safe here as a woman staying alone. (I travelled with a friend but we each had our own room) The management had more of their friends staying at this property than guests, actually we were the only guests. Workers on the island were suprised where we were staying because they said it is closed. The "beach" in front of this property is a disgrace with garbage everywhere.

I did find the staff here to be very friendly and the food was not fancy but basic and pretty good. Snorkeling was good. All in all I would suggest looking elsewhere as this was very disappointing.

Stayed February 2007

Families
Couples
Solo
Business
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2005

I stayed at Oceans' Edge Lodge for several days in September 2005 with my partner. Please see review of Tobacco Caye Lodge from Aug 16 2005 as I agree with everything there; same applies to Ocean's Edge. Rooms were rustic, but barely acceptable in terms of cleanliness. The only difference is that the food was good and reputed to be the best on the island. This is an island community consiting largely of Garifuna men, from a clan that has lived on this island for generations. The few women inhabitants seemed to be in charge of cooking and housekeeping. Two teenage Belizean girls rode in with us on our boat and we were told they were 'trainee' cooks; It was apparent to us that there not there to learn how to cook and did not seem to spend much time in the kitchen. Let me just say that if I were a single woman (I'm male) I would not feel confortable staying at the Ocean edge or on the Island unless with a group. The Lodge bar also had the only pool table on the island and so most nights, a noisy crowd consisting of hotel management, their friends, and occasionally guests, would congregate and party until the wee hours(4am) with the boom-box blasting. After all there was not much else to do but hang out at the bar and drink. We complained and management smiled and apologized and then repeated the performance again each night. We gave up complaining as it became clear that the guests came second. The snorkeling was great and we did as much as we could. Excursions were arranged by the lodge to nearby islands and reefs and were fine. There did not appear to be any coordinated trash clean-up on tobaco caye, but instead piles of trash were hidden away as much as possible from public eye. But the island is tiny and the're only some much trash you can hide. The most enjoyable moments were being out on the reef or waking up to see the sun rise. Neverthless, we ceetainly have no intention of visiting Ocean's Edge or Tobacco Caye again.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Ocean's Edge Lodge? Share your experiences!