“Staff :) Room :(” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Alpharetta
Grayson, Georgia
“Staff :) Room :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The staff was outstanding! The room was not a good value. It was dated and in need of maintenance. We were in 2 different rooms (moved because of the noise of people above us) and the doors did not work properly in either. We needed 2 bedrooms because we had my father with us and needed privacy. Not too much privacy when the bathroom door will not close. I can't say enough good things about the staff and location. Those are the only positives I can give. If the hotel was about 1/2 the price I might have been happy but not for the money we paid!

Room Tip: Not much difference. Only in size.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Severna Park, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I stayed here with my wife and 3 kids. The price was right and it was adequate but I think I would try someplace else if I return. Alpharetta itself is a nice place to stay outside the city and there is a decent restaurant just a walk across the street. The Towne Suites itself left something to be desired. One of the windows in our room was not properly installed, which wouldn't have concerned me if there wasn't a bee/hornets nest inside the screen of the window. The bathroom light was temperamental and the overall appearance was dated and cramped. We needed to request sheets for the pullout but the staff delivered them promptly. Hangers were tiny and few.
The staff was friendly and accommodating but finding 2 pancakes 20 mins before breakfast ends and having to request more wasn't ideal. Also, breakfast needs to be transported back to your room. If you are cutting it close, you may return to find things put away at 8:59am. Again, if asked, they will get you what you need but....
The most troubling thing was he cleaning staff. Some days, they knocked on the door at 9am, others, it was 4 pm. When they came in, I'm not exactly certain what cleaning they did. I brought back breakfast for our family on day 1. I grabbed a bunch of plastic silverware and wound up with an extra fork. In leaving the room that day, the extra fork must have gotten knocked to the floor. The cleaners came while we were gone (I knew because we had new towels and the trash had been emptied). When we returned, I noticed the unused plastic fork on the floor by the leg of the kitchen table. I decided to leave it there to see if the cleaners were running a vacuum. It never moved or was picked up during our stay. That didn't make s happy.

I've stayed in worse but I was younger and poorer then. I doubt I'll be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lauren C, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Atlanta Alpharetta, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
We are sorry for your less then perfect stay, which is what we strive to be. We hope that during your next trip to Alpharetta you give us another chance, we are confident that if you do we will regain your trust.
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Yes, let me start with I had a reservation...for my entire stay...3 nights. After a long drive from St. Louis to Atlanta, my friend and I were very much awaiting our opportunity to check into our room. Get refreshed, had dinner reservations (which we had to change 3 times...see my review of dinner) and prepare for the next day. Full agenda for work and we were ready for a room.

We walked into the desk, and immediately I should have suspected something...it was very WARM and I just thought it was a hot day in Atlanta. To my complete disappointment, the story goes downhill...and in a very bad way.

I was told that we had no room. I asked "why"? Well, evidently the air conditioner broke in the building and unless we wanted to sleep with no A/C...there was no room. They needed to order a part and it would take 24 hours. So, why is this my problem? We need a room...what are you going to do about this? Well here are my options...I can downgrade to a studio room...or, I can go down the road to the Residence Inn. Okay, do they know we are coming? Yes, and here is a piece of paper that you will give the Residence Inn. No charge to you? Really...I think I should have a free room...period! Guess what...it gets better!

We get directions...we travel down the road to the Residence Inn. We arrive...(see my review for the Residence Inn...both properties). We are promptly told that they are SOLD OUT...no rooms! Okay, well I have this piece of paper, and I was told you have a room held for us. Nope...no room. No, I'm sorry...nothing...Thank goodness for Ryan who came out of his office before heading home, who informed us that we had the "wrong" Residence Inn. I think he could see steam coming out of my ears like a Looney Toon character, so he was helpful and gave me directions to the "other" Residence Inn.

So, let's get back to the fact that the staff at TownePlace sent us to the wrong hotel. That is the first problem. After we arrived at the "correct" Residence Inn (and I'll review that property also), we checked in...but, we were informed that we would only be able to stay one night. They were "oversold" for the rest of the week, and that we would not be staying here after the one night! Great...we have to be in downtown Atlanta early in the AM, and we don't even know where we will be staying. Thank you TownePlace!

Okay, Day Two. A very long day...on our feet for over 10 hours. We go back to TownePlace. We show up to the same lady from the previous day, and she talks about cookies and massages for the evening events. Yes, I have your room....yada yada yada. We go to the room. Yes, it's still quite warm in the building, but evidently it's fixed? Okay. We get into our room, and it doesn't get better. Let's just say that if housekeeping cleaned this room...it was a bad bad job. I pick up the "Guest Services" rolodex...it is soiled with sticky beer/alcohol stain yuck...I can't give you a better description than telling you that it felt like someone threw up on the guest service book. Nice! Then, my colleague walks into the kitchenette area and literally her shoes still to the floor surface. Gross!

I'm done...this is just horrible. I go back to the front desk. I take the Guest Services rolodex with me...I wanted her to have the same experience I had as a guest. She was shocked. Okay...now what? Well, let's try another room....I tell her I'll look at the room. It is in the other building...okay, good news...there is A/C. Bad news...it smells like a bad Oriental restaurant along with paint...really nauseating...Let's just say this room was a No Way!

I go back and ask what can she do? Well, she calls the first Residence Inn...and, yes...they have a room tonight! I am then told it will cost more...that none of my complaints really matter. Do you want the room or not? I verify that I have the right location for the Residence Inn...and, we drive off.

No, I will never stay at a TownePlace Suites. But, what really makes me very aggravated is that no one cares? No apologies...nothing. It was such a bad experience. I would expect something...but, I got nothing.

Room Tip: There is not a single room that I would ever want to stay at.....
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
port st lucie, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

The check in process was great. I arrived early and they did squabble or give me a hard time. They found a room available immediately for me, which was great because I was traveling with my kids. While the rooms aren't super huge, it was so functional. We didn't feel like we were crawling all over each other like a normal hotel room. Having the full refrigerator and dishes in the room was the show stopper. We will be staying at more of these with our kids during road trips.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We are happy your stay at the TownePlace Suites Alpharetta was great! Thank you for the great review!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I was pleased find a welcoming environment here by all staff. They do tend to mess up your dinner plans with fresh baked sweets in the lobby each afternoon. It's not the J.W.; but, it is a great deal for what they really are...a really comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

The room was great with a full kitchen and lots of room for our family of 5. We had plenty of space and 3 tvs. The room was clean and we could have spent more time there. The breakfast was a "grab & go" so it was granola bars, packaged muffins and juice. Not exactly what we were looking for. We ended up having to go out for breakfast. When I look for a room, I want the value of having a breakfast that is included so that we don't have the extra expense of going out to eat for that one meal. For that reason alone, I would not book at another Towneplace Suites. The price for the room was decent - but when we then have to add the cost for another meal out, it wasn't great.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Wonderful place....lovely people...and excellent accommodation and shuttle service...
Even I was late some time Mr. Ray were understanding enough and great man to help and adjust as per our office timings
Get healthy and yummy breakfast every morning.... excellent room service... Every eve when i came back room was freshened up like new... Thank you so much for taking care..love...God Bless

Room Tip: Any room is good...but if you have heavy luggage get closer one to the entry
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Lauren C, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Atlanta Alpharetta, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel at TownePlace Suites Alpharetta. We are glad your stay was great!

Been to TownePlace Suites Atlanta Alpharetta? Share your experiences!