“nice staff, lots of room” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #6 of 28 hotels in Alpharetta
Columbia, South Carolina
“nice staff, lots of room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Residence Inn with our daughters recently. We were there for just one night, using their American Girl package. The package was a little pricey, but it was a treat for the girls.
Our "room" (suite) consisted of 2 bedrooms with a living area (kitchen, sofa bed, fireplace!) in between. It was perfect! The moms could crash on the beds while the girls watched the American Girl movie that was provided at check-in. On Friday and Saturday nights, there is a movie and popcorn night in some common area, but since we stayed only for a Sunday night, we received the use of the DVD player and our girls' choice of American Girl movies to watch in our suite.
The common areas seemed nice enough. I brought workout clothes but never did get around to finding the exercise equipment so I can't rate that. The interior corrider to our room smelled a little "funky" but it was not an overwhelming odor, so I just ignored it. Our room was reasonably clean. The dishwasher light was on when we arrived, and there were a few clean dishes in it, along with well-stocked cabinets. Because of the package we booked, upon arrival each girl found cookies and a book along with a personalized welcome letter and a take-home bed for her doll. Also, because of the package, our room had some extra pink touches (pink pillows, pink hangars, pink trash cans, and pink towels.)
The front desk staff was friendly and made a point of checking in the girls at the American Girl check-in part of their counter. We ran into a housekeeper in the hall who reciprocrated our hellos. And at breakfast, when I had trouble with one of the self-serve waffle makers (a prior guest apparently had burnt some syrup into it), the attendent (Maria?) kindly offered to make a replacement waffle, which was beautiful and tasty! So I would give this hotel 5 stars based on its staff and their implementation of their AG package. Also, our beds were 5 star beds. I'm not sure I've ever slept on a better bed!
We did have a problem with our toilet. The tank simply did not fill with enough water to flush successfully. We encountered this issue twice, and were able to flush each time by removing the tank lid and pouring a pitcher of water in the tank during the flush. It appears the inn went a little too far in trying to conserve water. There's a certain amount required for a toilet to work properly, and the toilet was not set to allow that much water in the tank. We did not wind up telling the front desk because we were able to solve the problem ourselves, and we were there such a short time. But my rating loses 1 star for the low-flow toilets and the slight funky hall smell.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Viera, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This hotel has been my home away from home for the past 5 years and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The rooms are recently remodeled and always clean, bit the people who work there are the reason I have stayed. I have never come across a better group of people in 11 years of traveling. From the GM to the other managers to the front desk team, housekeepers and maintenance team....they are top notch all the way. They treat every guest with a friendly attitude and most of all....respect. I have met many other guests over the years and they all agree that the staff at this hotel keeps them coming back. I will be leaving soon and I will miss the friends I have made here. It is rare to see a group of coworkers who treat each other and the guests like family. If you are in the area, you won't find a better choice of hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My 9-year-old daughter is a huge American Girl doll fan, so when we came to Atlanta we had to visit the American Girl store (which, frankly, is pitiful if you have been to the store in Chicago or New York). Instead of driving back into Atlanta, we stayed at the Residence Inn, which you can walk to from the AG store. We had booked the "American Girl Package" and it was the highlight of our trip! She was treated like a star, from check-in (on a pink carpet instead of a red carpet!) to the special movie night (they showed Kit Kittredge, with popcorn and pink lemonade while the girls lounged on pink bean bag chairs). Her room had pink and white linens and bath towels, and her doll received her very own bed (to keep!). The staff at the front desk was bend-over-backward gracious and accomodating, even serving my daughter gluten-free cookies when they found out she couldn't have the usual cookies at check-in. After being so disappointed in the AG store, it was wonderful to have such a fantastic experience at the hotel!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I've never stayed at a residence Inn before. I will stay there all the time from here on out. The staff was very friendly and breakfast was awesome. The rooms were spacious will full kitchens. The "lounging" area was also pretty neat. I traveled alone, so there was no need for all of those amenities. They were great to have though. I will def stay here again. It was like a home away from home.

• Stayed August 2012
Bella Vista, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

It arrived late after a 9 hour drive. The staff was wonderfully pleasant and prompt at checking me in. I went to my room and was pleasantly surprised at the size of the "mini" suite. I really liked the layout. The bed was comfortable and stylish. I truly loved the outlets on the lamps next to the bed. Charging the phone was a piece of cake!

The hot breakfast was very good. Potatoes, eggs, canadian bacon, bagels, juice... Nice! Walking back to the room I took note of the really nice BBQ area.

Twice I went back to the front desk. Once to report a leaking faucet. And another time to turn over a found wedding ring. Both times the desk expressed concern and acted appropriately.

Location was great just on the north end of North Point Mall with easy access to Haynes Bridge (exit 9) on GA400.

My only note to the negative is that there is room noise from surrounding rooms. And the doors are quite loud when they close. But based on the friendliness and smiles of the guests, I doubt this was even worth mentioning.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor. Guests dragging luggage, walking to breakfast, and lounging in the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our family came here to bring my daughter and a friend to the American Girl Store at the very nearby North Point Mall. It's a great location...very close to the mall and several other restaurants and retailers. The suites were great for a family. The two girls had the sleeper sofa and their own TV, while the adults slept in the bedroom. The kitchen was a great ammenity allowing us to have some meals and snacks in the room. The pool area was nice--large pool, clean hot tub, inviting grilling/seating areas. The breakfast buffet was also really good. The only complaints we had were: 1. There were only 3 glasses total to drink out of in the kitchen which was odd, and not enough. 2. We had to beg for towel service, and we didn't typically get enough for all of us. 3. The air conditioning in the bedroom was extremely loud! 4. There were no DVD players for either of the TVs. Otherwise, this is a comfortable, convenient place to stay. We highly recommend Spice a nearby Tapas restaurant--even the kids loved it! We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed in the north point Marriott for 10 days in august 2012 for a business trip.
I found the hotel to be overall very comfortable. The location is great, just a min drive to the H400 and walking distance to the North Point mall and most stores.
The rooms are big and very nice and have also a fully equipped kitchen , looks relativity new / renovated. The breakfast is one of the less rated features of this hotel. not a lot of variety, and you eat in disposable one time plates (feels like i'm in a picnic...).
Overall, good place to stay if you are visiting this area.

Room Tip: prefer rooms facing the inside court
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Atlanta Alpharetta/North Point Mall? Share your experiences!