“Expected Better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Alpharetta
Chicago, IL
“Expected Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I am reviewing this hotel after staying here for 6 nights and I have to admit that I expected better. First, let it be documented that my family of 5 had no issues what so ever with any staff member. Everyone was quite pleasant and friendly. The front desk staff greeted you every time they saw you (and I do mean every time). The custodian of the breakfast area was constantly replenishing the breakfast trays and she did it with a smile. Housekeeping fulfilled my requests and didn’t make me feel like I was a bother. The primary issues that disappointed my family and I was the condition of the hotel. While I wouldn’t term it rundown, it does show signs of wear & tear. The interior elevator panels were extremely scuffed and dirty. The carpet in the common areas, i.e., hallways and stairways, were old and dirty. The furniture in my room (#339-two bedroom suite) has seen better days. To be fair, it did appear that there may have been some updates to the room. The kitchenette area appeared to have been updated with new cabinetry. Another complaint is the TV reception was awful and every evening we would lose the reception for many quick repetitive outages to long periods of time. In the last issue, I agree with a previous reviewer who stated the cooling unit is extremely loud when it kicks on (particularly in the second bedroom). I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that I did notice that new linen was delivered to hotel; so I would assume that improvements are coming. I am a Priority Club member and have stayed at other Staybridge locations and have loved it (Staybridge-Buckhead about 3 yrs. ago). At this time, while I love the area and will definitely chose it again when I return to Atlanta, I will probably chose another suites hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Alpharetta North Point, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear NKTB,

Thank you for being a IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. It is great to hear about the compliments you give to our hotel staff. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. We are sorry that you found our hotel facilities in a rundown condition. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip to Alpharetta.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for the last 3 years & I keep coming back for more. It is a kind of place where you can be yourself, unpretentious & relaxed after a busy day at work (I travel to Alpharetta on business). The complimentary hot breakfast is healthy, sundowner on weekdays is perfect & the free laundry is welcome. The staff greets me a smile & most by name. They are courteous & always willing to assist. They provide complimentary shuttle service to nearby offices & market place so even if you do not have a car, you're not stranded.... just love it! There are plenty of dining options at a walking distance too.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet corner, stay away from the rooms near lift lobby.
Lilburn, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

this was by far the most comfortable hotel i have stayed at in awhile. i love the front desk staff and the service was awesome. the people i want to recognize the most are two front desk people. In the afternoon this young man always greeted me with a smile and positive attitude, i think his name is Frederick but i guess they call him Derick. The first time i saw him he was in the kitchen providing service for the evening dinner event but the later in the evening i found him behind the front desk. This guy can do it all and his ambition is the greatest i have seen so far. He is such a hard worker and i love the attitude he possess. during the night i needed some towels and a few other things and the front desk person Vicky was the kindest and such a sweetheart. I love how she took care of what i needed and at a timely manner.

I WOULD LOVE TO COME BACK AND STAY HERE ANYDAY!! this hotel established a home away from home and i cant wait to come back and stay again.

Room Tip: rooms on the left half of the hotel are the best!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel near my aunt's condo - had everything we needed. Outdoor pool. Free hot breakfast (eggs, bacon, make your own waffles, cereal, muffins, bread). Free DVD checkout. Nice rooms with kitchenette.

• Stayed June 2013
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I always wait at least 24 hours before writing a negative review to see if I still f

I arrived at 2:10 pm. I knew they had a 3 pm check in time, but also know that hotels fill the rooms with guest as soon as they become available. 2:10 on a Friday afternoon at a business hotel should have a room ready or near ready.

When I entered the desk person (who's name I cannot remember but it was something like Sharaka) was discussing her lunch with a fellow employee arguing that what she had was not garlic chicken that she had ordered. She first ignored me then when seeing I was not walking away from the desk, she turned. I said hello and handed her my drivers license and credit card telling her I had a reservation. She tossed the two cards back, never looking at my name and said "We don't check in till 3". She had no idea if I had an early check in or not (and I did not). I asked if there were rooms ready and she said "We don't check in till 3" I again asked if she had anything since it was only 45 minutes till check in and she said "No, we don't check in till 3 you can come back then".

I would have been ok if she would have said there no room available just yet, to have a seat in the lobby and she'd let me know when one became available or if she would have just looked to see if any were ready, .But she did neither and turned to pick up her food and leave the desk area. I told her I'd just find another place to stay and she said "Good, let me know".

She did not care one bit about that room sale.

I called the phone number on the website and got a customer service person who was of a little bit of help making sure my card was not charged since I was pass the time for free cancelation. I asked the customer service person ,Natalie, to please call the manager and she reported the manager stated there was nothing available. When I asked who she spoke with she said the Sharaka person's name. I told her that under no stretch of the imagination was this lady a manager and she stated that when asked, Sharaka said she was the manager on duty.

I went somewhere else and had a nice stay will go back to that hotel. The Holiday Inn group who allows private owners to use their name should reconsider allowing this manager and this staff to use their name and reputation. I had stopped using Holiday Inn Properties a few years ago because of the seedy managers some properties had, but it seemed as if they have in recent years cleaned up the hotels and the managers--they apparently missed this one.

Go somewhere else for your stay, there are plenty in the same neighborhood, even on the same road.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
StaybridgeSpirit, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Alpharetta North Point, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the service you received. We were sold out every day last week and the front desk was informed to wait until 3:00 p.m. to check guests in to give housekeeping ample time to concentrate on cleaning rooms. We also just receive a shipment of new bedding and housekeeping was trying to get the new bedding distributed as well. If we are sold out the night prior it is difficult to grant early check ins. However, the manor in which you were informed of our scheduled check in time could have been handled differently. Your review was shared with our entire staff so that we can handle this situation better in the future. We hope you will consider staying with us at a later date.

Al Odell
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I say hardworking because they didn't snub their noses at us when they realized we were walk-ins without an advance reservation (I don't recommend you do this in Alpharetta, Georgia on a Friday afternoon). Even though they were obviously busy, they seemed genuinely concerned and took the time to research their database for us. Bottom line, they gave us a great room at a very good rate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I understand from the front desk that this is Staybridge's first location. You can tell it's older; however,key areas like kitchens and baths have been nicely updated. I love that you get a suite for the price of a room. Wonderful, stocked kitchen, sofa and tables, decent closet space, along with nice bed and decent bath. Very friendly staff! Great location, right up the highway from that incredible North Point shopping district and the North Point church pastored by the Christian teaching phenom, Andy Stanley. Not close to downtown Atlanta, but area is self-contained so if you don't need the city, you don't need to leave.

Room Tip: I requested the top (third) floor and got a good location backing to trees.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Staybridge Suites Alpharetta North Point? Share your experiences!