“BIG TIME SLIPPAGE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ray's on the Creek

Ray's on the Creek
1700 Mansell Rd, Alpharetta, GA 30004-4753 (Formerly Ray's Killer Creek Restaurant)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ray's on the Creek is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #91 of 440 Restaurants in Alpharetta
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mansell Road and Georgia 400
Description: Formerly Ray's at Killer Creek, we have a firm belief that food should be enjoyed for its intrinsic flavors and not masked under a barrage of sauces or pretentious seasonings, Our talented kitchen delivers a delicious menu for everyone's tastes. For your wine glass, our cellar is stocked with premium vintages — Caymus and Jordan, Opus One, and Mondavi Reserve to name a few. Our list includes an extensive reserve section and 50 labels that are served by the glass. Tying it all together is a professional wait staff, many of which have been with us for 5+ years. Genuine and attentive, each server personifies Ray’s on the Creek’s dedication to having a great time eating out.
ATLANTA
“BIG TIME SLIPPAGE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We went there for my birthday in March, 2013. We were there on a Thursday evening, and the place was nearly empty, which should have been a red flag. The food was terrible, and the service was indifferent. I wasn’t going to write the G.M. but they called a few days later to follow up on our experience, and I told them how bad it was. The girl told me that she would have a manager contact me immediately. That never happened. Several days later I emailed the G.M. and told him what happened. I told him I was not expecting anything, just wanted to let him know. He sent me a gift card for my entire bill plus $20.00 extra.
We went back there about a month later on a Sunday at 11 a.m. and again, it was nearly empty. The food was better, but the service was terrible.
We will never go back. Too bad, as it used to be one of my favorite restaurants in Atlanta, before Rays’s took over.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, Georgia
“Changed, not for the better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Recently my husband and I revisited Ray's after it underwent several changes. We were disappointed because we had always enjoyed going there prior to it's renovation. Upon arriving we noticed the new decor. Actually, I had noticed it driving by before and thought that perhaps it was simply, hopefully, primer for a new paint job. No, the entire thing is painted bland, monochromatic, gray-the wood, the rock, the trim, everything. It used to be so charming. The inside has undergone similar "sprucing". It no longer has the sophisticated yet comfortable and inviting feel. It was disappointing to see what they had done to a once beautiful place. As for the the food and service: our servers were attentive and very pleasant. Our food was just okay though. My fish was fresh tasting and well cooked but the flavor not very memorable. My husband's steak was not a very good cut and there was a lot of waste in the large amounts of fat left on the plate. His thoughts were that he could have had a better steak at home.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta
“Exercise caution”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I like Ray's On the River a lot and have dined there often. Killer Creek was an unexpected disappointment. Having heard from the waitress that KC is a "chef driven" restaurant with all things fresh, I expected the daily specials to be great. Unfortunately, they were poor enough that I left it uneaten. My order was for "surf and turf" a filet and crabcake. The filet order was for a hot red center, easy to do given their "special 1800 degree ovens". What I received was a tough and dry chunk of meat, grey all the way through. I had asked the waitress, Lindsay, if she'd bet her reputation on the crabcake because I had only one really good experience from a seafood house in Baltimore. She said she would. It was tasteless and not readily identifiable as crab. The asparagus side was tough, stringy and chewy. The mushrooms were excellent, however.

I feel certain that had I complained, Ray's would have made this right. As a guest of our business host, this would have been awkward. My companions seemed okay, but not enthusiastic, with their own meals. As a result, I have instructed our own Alpharetta sales staff not to use Killer Creek unless specifically requested.

The decor is very open and appealing; but as this was a Wednesday night, I cannot suggest this experience was the result of an overworked kitchen.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cape Coral, Florida
“Easter Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I looked for a place for 4 of us to have brunch and found good reviews for Ray's on the Creek/Ray's Killer Creek so made reservations. The service was very good, most of the food was very good. We were seated promptly and a server explained the layout of the offerings. Coffee, iced tea and water were replaced/refilled by the waitstaff before we could request them. The variety of breakfast and dinner items was good. Peel-and-eat shrimp were slightly undercooked, leg of lamb and prime rib were sliced to order and rare, just as we like it. My family enjoyed the made-to-order omelets, mashed potatoes, salmon cakes, gumbo and other items. The green salads were a huge disappointment: limp and tasteless. We did not try the seafood or pasta salads, just went to the desserts, which were delicious. Mimosas were mostly ice with a little orange juice and a wave-over of champagne at a price of $7! The brunch was $30 per person, which was a reasonable price for Easter brunch. However, the lack of vegetables will make me possibly look elsewhere next holiday and may keep us from returning for dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
SE USA
“Easter Sunday Brunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was our 6th visit to Rays and 3nd Brunch. I still recommend Rays for a nice upper scale dinner........... but no longer recommend its Brunch, 1. The set up and traffic patterns for getting up to get your own food is very disorganized and clumsy, Several people almost slipped and fell on the sloped walkway down to the tables and the areas where the food was located were rather clumsy and cramped when there were more than a few people. This can be over looked I suppose, since it is a special event only offered a few times a year. We have noticed a drop in the quality of the overall brunch itself......... somewhat cheaper. The desserts were very poor.......... the majority of them were frosted small cupcakes and brownies. Not what you would expect for a $30 pp brunch, No slices of pie or cake anywhere. The hot food looked good when we first got there,,,,,, but if you book this brunch get there for an early seating so you have a choice of food before they run out. I noticed that some nice crepes were all gone by the time we got seated, Prime Rib and Lamb were good.......... surprised no ham for Easter. None of the other items really stood out as good except for the mashed potatoes and the eggs Benedict. Also, only water coffee tea included. Orange juice extra charge. Ray’s brunch has fallen in quality. We will try another place for our next special event.

• 3 of 5 stars Food